Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default Halloween in kindergarten

I was just listening to a discussion on the radio about NY City School chancelloer Joel Klien cancelling all Halloween parties, costumes decorations and celebrations of any kind and at all age levels in the NY City school system. "It distracts from the educacational process and takes up too much instructional time".
Well the reason I was listening to the radio was that I was driving to work at lunch time
having taken the morning to go to Sabrina's kindergarten halloween party.
Luckily they live about 60 miles north of the city .
The kids were happy, the parents were happy and I was not the only grandparent in attendence (and thank you to the young Mom who thought I was Sabrina's Dad). Yes they paraded in costume and ate candy and cookies, but, their art for the day was a craft that taught color and fostered manipulative skills, one of the games taught cooperative behavior, another game challenged imaginative thinking and the teacher made up work sheets that involved counting (ghosts, pumkins, monsters and black cats) and writing the numbers. They also paraded down the hallway to visit their fifth grade "mentors" (older students who are each assigned a kindergarten child to act as a helper and mentor to). Helps to cement that link as well.
I say bah humbug (wrong holiday but right sentiment) Joel Klien, five year olds need to be allowed to be five.
(besides I got lots of hugs and kisses and it was a workday, can't beat that).
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:37 PM
debp

Default Re: Halloween in kindergarten

I agree that in kindergarten, they need to be 5 and I think that the party is wonderful. I especially liked what one teacher did at my son's school. She had all the children dress up in the theme, "what I want to be when I grow up".
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Passenger

We could not have a Halloween party at my son's first grade because there was one child who was Jehovah's Witness. How about the other 19 kids in the class that were deprived from the party? Makes me crazy -

Carnival Paradise
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
mara

Oh Oh
I just listened to a radio call in show about this very topic. It seems that the rights of a few people on religious or whatever grounds always take precedence, hence one child has a problem with the concept of dressing up so therefore no body gets to do it. Wouldn't it make more sense for the person who has the problem not to be involved. I know that kids can be mean to each other, I work with them everyday and really have first hand knowledge of this, so what do you think the majority will say to the minority that got their celebrations cancelled?

I really think that the kids version of Halloween is very shallow, it's all about dressing up and getting candy, adults look too much into things and see all kinds of shady problems arising when really it's not true.

Just my two cents worth,

Mara
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I went to highschool with Joel Klien and I didn't like him then either.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Right on PapaBill, I couldn't agree more!

donna (who also had w wonderful time today with 80 pre-schoolers dressed up in costumes and eating healthy cheese and crackers, and dancing to "Monster Mash".)

Old October 29th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Passenger

I work at an Elementary School and we had the best day today with all of the Halloween activities. The kids were so cute and excited, the parents and grandparents were so helpful and supportive, and the teachers and staff were happy to have a fun day. I went as a giant Candy Corn. Yes the morning was bit crazy but isn't this what memories are made of not only for the kids but for us adults also. As a staff we made sure all of the kids who could not afford a costume not only had a costume but had one they could take home with them for trick or treating this weekend.

With all of the emphasis on testing, it was fun to have one morning when that was not on anyone's mind.

Thanks PapaBill for encouraging fun in school!

Elise
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I sure wish the majority would not be subjected to the whims of the minority.....if the minority doesn't like something....don't participate. Face the fact now that you are different - you will be all your life and you may as well start having to face it when you are young. Do not deprive the majority of their traditions and fun. Period.

Old October 30th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Admiral

How sad that they won't be doing some sort of Halloween celebration, I have some very good memories of that time of year! Shame on those people...

...and the Jehovah's Witness thing....well, I can appreciate that you have to be respectful of other's beliefs, but don't they have to do the same??

I recall one story when a roomful of kids were making gifts for their mother's for Mother's Day, but one J.W. mother wouldn't accept the one her child made because it was celebrating a holiday..........finally the teacher just told her it was because her child loved her, so she accepted it...........interesting........

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Admiral

I am a first grade teacher. When 3 or 4 % of the parents of the student population dictate what happens, based on a minority religious belief, regardless of cultural and family traditions of the neighborhhod, that's no better than other cultures where religion dictates the order of the day, like Iran, Iraq, etc.

Kids, Parents, Etc. love Halloween.

There are so many things that bring us down these days. What's so wrong with one day when everyone can be a bit silly. Or so it seems to me.

We had parties and a parade at my school today and it was great!

Post Edited (10-30-04 10:06)
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Yeoman

I survived yesterday being a teacher where at 7am, I had the first Halloween party. we do not call it a party, it is a cultural educationa experience. we learn about the history of the celebration which in my case was el Dia del Muertos. ( Day of the Dead) It is a Mexican celebration much like our own. We compare and contrast, create and read so it is all how you look at it. It can be an educational experience. However, some teachers do look at it as a wasted day when they are deperately trying to get thru a curriculum dictated to them by a state that has absolutely no concept of what kids are actually learning except to get them thru as much stuff as possible so they can take a standardized test to see where the school ranks and to see how much money the school and teachers will get. Not a great concept. Sorry, had to vent. Also, after my party at 830 i headed to my son's kindergarden where the little ones had a parade around the school. they were adorable. Then back to my classroom where i cleaned up from another party that a teacher had done for me while I was gone and then had 1 more at my school before heading off to my oldest's school to help out in his class room where they use it for math skills, Count, sort, divide etc. Go Goblins and as to the situation for individuals that do not celebrate, it is all how the teacher handles it. Does the child play sports, then they wear their uniform. Same as in a school where here is no money for costumes. One teacher I know has the little one s be their favorite # or letter
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Admiral

I just celebrated a lovely time at my 7 year old's class yesterday afternoon. They did work in the morning -spelling quiz,& a quiz on the five senses. At lunch the kids changed into their costumes. Then the whole school paraded throughout each other's classrooms to show off their costumes. Then our class did 'stations' where they got to do things about each sense:feel things in bags;smell;taste etc. They had lots of fun-they also wrote their answers ona worksheet. One boy had his birthday and his Mum brought in a pinata which they got candy from. Some parents brought in suckers,candy etc. ,so they had a decorated witch bag and got some candy in it.
It would be shame if children did not celebrate Hallowe'en at school. If it is against your religion then you should just keep your kid home for the day, or teach tolerance towards other people's religion- and send them to school.
Happy Hallowe'en!!!

Post Edited (10-30-04 17:58)
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:05 AM
jodie

good topic ! I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness, I'm no longer with the religion, but my parents are and my father is an elder of the congregation. As a child, during any of the holiday parties at school, I simply went to the library. No big issue The teachers would save some candy for me and I was happy ! My father has always said that we must be respectful, we didn't participate, but we had to be respectful. He said there are too many different religions and other beliefs, and if we weren't respectful we could end up like the Gaza Strip in the Middle East I'm thankful for the lessons I learned that way... sure makes you see both sides a bit easier. Here in the Seattle area, a school district just banned Halloween parties as well... 3 reasons, 1) classroom time 2) not everyone can afford a snazzy costume and they didn't want anyone to feel "less" than others and 3) dressing up as a witch could offend members of the Wicca religion. OK... I'll go for one and two... but # 3 killed me !!!! seriously ... that's what they said ! Some local members of Wicca here were laughing on the news saying they hoped they didn't look like the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz.