Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Default A Wet Halloween

Halloween here in Montreal, at least in my neighbourhood, was pretty much rained out. We had maybe 15-20 kids, and most of them were big ones, much too old to be trick or treating. I think I saw maybe 2 little ones out. Prime time, 5:30 - 7:00, it poured rain, and it was very windy and miserable. The good news is, I have a whole box of little bags of Cheetos left for me, and 1/2 box of little Smarties too!
How was Halloween in YOUR neighbourhood?

donna

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: A Wet Halloween

the temps here in southern nh were balmy for this time of year. almost 60 degrees! we had more kids than usual on our tiny street with only three houses. they usually bypass our street since our other two neighbors shut their lights and don't give out candy. this year we put a giant jack o lantern on top of our built in bbq pit and had a flashing strobe light inside of it. i think thats what got their attention. we also started giving out FULL SIZE candy bars, so if the word spreads among the kids, we should have a big turn out next year.

next........victory for thanksgiving 04

Turkey Day on the Victory!!
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

We had FIVE (that's right, FIVE) kids show up this year....down from 7 last year. We are just off a main artery and there is no reason we can think of that our street doesn't get many trick or treaters. That is ok, though............at least my dog wasn't banished to the back yard and could enjoy the day as he usually does. More candy (yeah Reese's) nfor us!

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:44 PM
Admiral

The weather was and still is hot..in the 80's with rain most of the day but cleared off in time for alll the little goblins...We had a grand total of 0..nada,zip,zeeeeeRo..we live out of town and on a very busy highway so we normally only get the relatives and friends kids..well most of them have grown out of the tricker treating scene so it makes it kind of dull on "fright night" Hope you all had a great day and did'nt get tricked toooo bad.>G<

Old November 1st, 2004, 07:10 AM
VTJen

We had 4, and two of those were my son's girlfriends sisters, they took enough for about 20 - which is fine with me. I'm not a big Halloween Fan, but I'd like to have ton of kids. My son and the girlfriend and sisters took my dog and went trick or treating. The dog was a hit.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My prediction of our 3 neighbor kids and our granddaughter proved correct. The neighbor kids really enjoyed the Lindt bars and their mom wanted to know if she also would get one.

I had to be a good neighbor and break into my "private stash" and giver her one. :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: A Wet Halloween

We get so few at halloween that it doesn't pay to buy candy. For some reason, trick or treaters stay mostly on one end of the neighborhood. In addition, these last few years, a special party is held. We went out to dinner instead.

Judy
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

It was about 60 here in southern NH and windy. We had about 75 kids, with most of them being 5th - 8th grade. I had a couple of little ones and about 10-12 big kids (too old to be doing trick or treat).

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
Admiral

We had a wonderful night here. No rain! It was a bit cool though(but once you get walking..you warm up!). My husband stayed at home and my foot was feeling fine enough to go with the girls. We went out from 5:35-7:20-not too far, but far enough for them to get a lot of candy!!
At our house we had 11 kids and then 3 bigger ones came when we were at home=14 total. Yep, we have candy left! Our street has no sidewalks so I think kids keep to the main road near us with sidewalks on one side.
I have read that it is better for kids dental-wise to kind of gorge themselves for a few days instead of doling out the sugar a bit a day for weeks. We also 'buy' candy off our kids for ourselves-can't wait for the candystore to open!! The youngest has her play cash register out, ready to go!
The girls also took around UNICEF boxes to collect change for UNICEF. Not many kids do it nowadays; when I was a kid most everyone did. None of the kids who came to our house had the boxes so they got our change that we had set aside also.
It was a good Hallowe'en night!

Post Edited (11-01-04 10:50)
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Here in Northern CA it was cold and windy (go figure). I took my boys (3 and 6) trick or treating with myself in full costume as well - hey, why let the kids have all the fun? Then we went to a Harvest Festival. The boys were still going strong but Mom got too cold and called it a night about 8:45pm. We didn't have any trick or treaters as my hubby (the traditional candy giver outer) was out of town this year unexpectedly. Boy, do I ever have too much candy at my house -

Carnival Paradise
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM
Admiral

In Southern California, it was VERY windy but hubby & I decorated the front porch anyway. (Better than last year, when it POURED rain!) I had to work but Ron said he had about 150 kids total! Some were very cute, and he also had some older kids show up. WEIRD!!!

I did get to see 2 little princesses at work that evening which were VERY cute....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi all!!

We moved to our neighborhood 4 years ago. I LOVE HALLOWEEN!! The first year I decorated the porch with ghosts and blacklights. We got 1 kid (daughters friend's little brother)

Since then I have taken my trick-or-treating elsewhere!! I go to my Sis-in-laws house (on a dead end street) and we decorate the whole street!! Then the next night I bring all the decorations to my parents house and do it all over again.

This year we got maybe 20 kids at SIL house, most too old and some not even in costume (It poured right after t-o-t started. Oh and we blew a couple of lights because of the rain getting into the outlets (OOPS!)

At my parents house we must have had around 50 ... AND, might I add, at least that many comments on having the best decorations in the neighborhood.
Did I mention that I LOVE HALLOWEEN!?!

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005