Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default With Remembrance Day and Veterans Day coming I thought I sho

With Remembrance Day and Veterans Day coming I thought I should share this story. It may help to remind many of us what our veterans fought for, and how precious the freedom they fought for is.

Last week my 74 year old mother sat down and began to take pen to paper to "talk" about her life. She is giving me her writings to type for her, so they can be kept for future generations of our family to read.

Over the years she never really wanted to talk about her "experiences", but now she obviously has a need to share them. Yesterday, as I read and typed the dramatic beginning of her story, I thought her words should be shared, so those of us who take our freedom for granted might pause.
-----------------------------------------------------
My Story

My story begins September 1939. My name was Freda Rosenfeld, and I was 9 years old at the time. I can not remember the exact day or date the German army arrived.

In my mind I remember vividly the ones arriving in our town on motorcycles. We lived in a small city called Krislinopal, not too far from the larger city called Lwow, or as my mother called it, Lemberg.

One Saturday was the beginning of many of the most horrifying of the days and years to follow.

As I said, the German troops drove up on motorcycles. They ran into our house, and yelled “juden heroius” and chased us out into the street. The street was already filled with others running down the street, and we started running behind them. After running maybe 2 blocks shots were starting to be fired toward us.

We started to push into the doorway of someone’s house, and at that time bullets hit a young girl, and my mother. As they fell to the ground I was pushed into a house by my father. The painful screams reverberated everywhere, and were an awful sound unlike anything I had ever heard before.

I heard someone yelling out the name of my mother. Her name was Channa. I turned my head and pushed forward and saw my mother’s body lying in the street, in a river of blood. She was dead!

My father grabbed me as I was screaming hysterically… “my mother is dead. I have no mother any more”. I was right out of it; in shock, and my father was crying so. Then my father picked me up and held me.

This was the greatest tragedy in my young life. I could not comprehend this picture. It has stayed with me my entire life, and that gruesome day of my life will be with me, a vivid picture in my mind, until the day I die.

I do not remember very much for a long time after that day; where we went or how we survived. But I remember after some time my father sat me down on his lap and tried to explain to me. He said … “ I know you will not understand everything, but listen and try very hard.
You saw what happened to your mother. The Nazis are trying to kill many of us. I am sure they will not succeed. But, what I want you to do is come with me one day, when I arrange it, and I will take you to a very small place, with not too many houses. There I have an old couple who I know very well, and I trust them.
I know they will take very good care of you, and save you. You will stay with them, and pretend that you are not Jewish. Remember, don’t let anyone know your are Jewish!”

I was crying so hard I could barely get my voice to say… “Dad, WHY?” I want to be with you. I don’t care what will happen to me.”

He held me tight and told me he didn’t want to leave me either, but he must do it in order to save me. He told me I had to do it for my sake, his sake, and especially for my mother’s sake. He said… “ She would want you to live”.

“As soon as this horrible war is over I will be back to pick you up, and we’ll be back together”. He told me how he loved me, and how much my mother loved me.

Shortly after this, a very sad day in my life arrived. I have no words to describe the sadness I felt saying goodbye to my father, and being left alone with two people I had never seen before. I don’t think anyone can know how my bitter my heart was.

These people made me a bed to sleep on the floor, and I cried and cried, until I finally fell asleep.

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: With Remembrance Day and Veterans Day coming I thought I

Wow! Thanks for sharing this touching story!
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Thank you for sharing this-- and please thank your mother too--
I remember hearing a few stories when my mother and I went to a birthday party for my great uncle----stories of the war and how family were seperated---- and how lives were changed forever---
That was the same uncle who worked on the luxury steamliners so there were some other stories too----ones with fond memories

April
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Thank you for sharing this very touching story. I cannot imagine the fear that she had to be feeling.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Kuki,

Thank you for sharing what must be a very emotional revelation. As has been already said, I can't imagine what your mom's emotions must have been.

Lately on one of our cable stations there has been a feature I think called "Hidden". From what I have read, it's the story of folks like your mother who were taken in by others for the duration of the war. I have not seen it yet, but I thought I would share that with everyone.

As well, I believe that there is a place/facility in Israel where folks like your mom can share thier stories. I'm not sure what exactly it is called, but I know that it exists.

If it's not too personal or painful, I for one would be interested in learning more about this remarkable lady's story.

Thanks again,

Sid1962
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Kuki, That is so sad. Tears have come to my eyes. I can only imagine what is was like to be so young-9 years old and have this happen to her.
Please thank her for her doing this for your family and future generations of your family.
She has done a good job of writing!
And thank-you Kuki for sharing it with us.
Sincerely, Brenda

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

oh my gosh kuki, please share more if you can.......i don't know how anyone cannot be truly touched reading a story like this.

caron

next........victory for thanksgiving 04

Turkey Day on the Victory!!
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: With Remembrance Day and Veterans Day coming I thoug

Kuki,

Thank you for sharing your mother's memories. Anyone not moved by her story must have a heart of stone. I am thinking of you while you preserve her story in the written form. I admire you both for preserving history, it must be painful for BOTH of you. My sister and I are deep into genealogy and family history. It is called having roots and a sense of identity. I do hope you can keep us updated if you are able, if not, I respect your right to privacy. Thank you again for reminding us what freedom is about.

Terri Ann
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
gymbrat33

Thank you so much for sharing her touching story with us. She is so courageous for sharing her story.
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Kuki,

Thanks for sharing. Having lived in this era of our lives I can relate. We will be waiting for her next edition. Perserve these writings for history.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

What a moving story. Thanks to you and your mother, it will be preserved for years to come.

Old November 7th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Dear Kuki,
No matter how much of this sad period in history, you can see on tv, reading your Mother's words paint this time with a different brush. The courage of your family, and others, who had to endure these attrocities,are a testement to their courage and spirit. These words, these treasured writings, will forever, be a part of your family. How fortunate you are.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
VTJen

I really have no words I am so moved. Thank you so much. It really puts life in perspective.

An older man from our church asked me to type his life story last year, he spoke his story into cassette tapes. He started back to his grand parents, during the civil war.
They were land owners in the Shannadoah Valley. The Yankees came, the husband tried to hide the fact her husband was home, they ended up shooting her - the story moved through the depression and on into the present. It was amazing to be able to share such deep, personal memories of someone, and help perserve it for his family.

Thank you again,

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: With Remembrance Day and Veterans Day coming I thoug

Kuki, thank you so much for sharing a part of your mother's life with us. Sometimes, we just take too much for granted, don't we? I hope both she and you will relate more of her life in those times for us. Thanks again.

Judy
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
I can not and there is no way any one of us can imagine what she went through. Your grand dad and grand mother were really a brave couple. I am so glad that your grand dad had the forsight to hide her with trusted people so that she may live. I am in tears at this sad moment in her life. I respect yours and your Mothers privacy and would understand if you did not share more. But I do hope this is not the last of the story. Thanks again for sharing this moving story in your mother's life. Thanks also to all the veterans that have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

Old November 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the story Kuki it reminded me of a man I met years ago in Missouri.

He and his family were rounded up by the Germans and along with several hundred others were lined up against a firing wall. He was a young teen at that time and as the shots rang out and people fell, he dropped to the ground just as the rifles were aiming at him. He laid in the ditch with the corpses motionless for hours until the murderers had left.

He crawled out of the ditch in the dark of night and into the woods. He subsisted in the woods for two weeks on foliage and water until he made his way to a waterway where he stowed away on a ship. He had no idea where the ship was headed but it ended up in America.

Once he arrived in America the newspapers ran his story and people from around the country donated money to him. He was able to take this money and over time he bought land in the Ozarks and built a hotel.

When I was a kid my dad would take me there for fishing weekends and such. The name of his hotel, I'll never forget, was Holiday Inn.

At that time Holiday Inn wasn't the chain it is now, but when the conglomerate Holiday Inn was moving into Missouri they had to have that name. They ended up buying this man's business for a very hefty sum so they had the rights to the Holiday Inn name in Missouri.

I remember his name was Arman, but I don't remember his last name.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Thanks Kuki, for sharing your mother's story with us. It is definately a good reminder of why we celebrate Rememberance Day. I do hope your mother continues with her memoirs, and that she won't mind if you share more with us. It's probably very catharctic for her as well. These stories need to be told.

donna

Old November 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Yes, thank you Kuki. I too would really like to hear more of your mother's story if she will permit you to share with us.
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Admiral

No one should ever have to go to bed with such a memory. God bless your Mom . Thank you for sharing her words.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Admiral

What you and your mother are doing now is more important than many can imagine. I'm a year younger than your mom, and as we grow older we often reflect on our younger days. We also wonder about our heritage, and then one day many of us come to realize that we've waited too long. Geneology can supply many of the answers, but not as much or in the detail as the people who can still remember.

When our grandparents and our parents are still alive, we should take the opportunity to gather first-hand information about our origins and family history. If we fail to do so, we will find one day that they've all gone away and left us, and the all-important unrecorded historical data has gone along with them.

Thanks for sharing this dramatic family history with us, Kuki. And thank your mother too.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Kuki, thanks for posting your mother's story. I believe that all of us are waiting to read more.

Reading those words should make us realize what a wonderful gift is is to be born and live in your country or ours. The sad thing is to realize that conditions similar to those your mother suffered through still exist is many parts of the world.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Coincidetally with this posting, Saturday at work, my co worker mentioned how she has been trying to get her family togather, so they could tape memories..They come from a large French Canadian family, and have many songs and stories to tell..She told me, her siblings keep saying, "We have lots of time to do this"....NOT... I told her she should have a dinner party, have the video camera, and tape recorder, ready to roll, and it would be a fait acompli, and everyone would have a fun time...A good point, realy for many of us to look into.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
First Mate

With tears in my eyes, thank you for sharing.