Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:58 PM
salem5050

Default New York City for first time...any suggestions?

My family is going to New York City for first time ever. And I love so close, we are in Baltimore, so its a short ride there.

I would love to hear some good travel tips for New York if you all have any.

Thanks
Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: New York City for first time...any suggestions?

Well, I haven't been to New York in years, but I would think that the 9/11 site wouild be a must and also "hip" areas, such as Tribeca and, is it Columbia Heights; it's a shopping area, anyway.

Judy
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Yeoman

Good Morning Mary Margaret,
Depending on the age of your kids, the Empire State building is a good bet and also Radio City. The subways are great and the city is pretty safe. Also, Battery park where you can catch the ferry out to Liberty Island and Ellis island if your kids are older. If you are going at Christmas time, go to Rockefeller center and ice skate and see the tree. Definately go to the trade towers site. it is a moving experience for all. You have to have food from a street vendor too. Not expensive and if your into hotdogs, a cheap meal. For shopping, go to Macy's. For you, a stroll down 5th Ave. If you belong to a travel club, get a street map of NYC and mark off sites that you want to see. Makes the subway an easier trek. Also, take the boat around manhattan. it's agreat way to see everything without too much hassle.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Mark EM

I've lived in NY area all my life,so this is advice from a NY'er. Top of the Empire State Building is first on my list. If you come on a holiday week, make it the first stop of the day. The lines get very long.
Make an advance plan to see a show; there fun shows off-Broadway at more reasonable prices, too.
Get to know the subway; at least the north-south main routes. You might be able to get a discounted Metro card at your hotel.
Leave time to walk, NY is an amazing place and it is amazing what you can discover along the way.
I'm not certain ice skating in Rockerfeller Center is worth the wait; there is a charming outdoor iceskating rink in Central Park, easily accessed.
You don't have to spend too much money eating with the family; there are many reasonalble Coffee Shops that serve three meals and never seem to close.
MY own personal favorite is a round trip on the Staten Island Ferry. It leaves from Battery Park at the south end of Manhattan (at least three subways take you right there), and give the best views of the south skyline and the Statue of Liberty. If you're on any kind of tight schedule, skip the trip to the Statue; it takes a lot of time.
Email me if you have any more questions.
Em
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Museums. Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Modern Art, City of NY, Holocost Museum , Gugenheim, would be just a few to mention.
Circle Line around NY. Time Square now has Toys R Us Super Store .
Broadway shows for kids include Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King.
Other great ideas mentioned above.
If you are coming for the Holidays, you may want to do Rockerfeller Center, Christmas Tree, St Patrick's Cathedral, Store windows at Macy's Lord and Taylors.
There are only 30,000 restaurants in NY so you may find it hard to get something to eat.
If you don't mind going "touristy" there is the Hard Rock Cafe. For great afternoon and evening Meals try the restaurants off Braodway in the mid 40's often called restaurant row.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Admiral

My husband & I went to NY for the first time this year. One of the best things we did was take a Greyline Bus Tour that he arranged. It was called the Comprehensive Manhattan City Tour. We saw SO much! They also took us on a ferry past Liberty Island to Ellis Island (which was VERY interesting!), had lunch at Appleby's, drove past the World Trade Center site (enough for me!), we saw a LOT during the 11 hour tour. I would definately recommend this!

Don't miss the Empire State Bldg....Times Square was a lot of fun too....

Have fun....we loved NY and plan to return....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Beginner

I love NYC and I say that you really need to visit Times Square. I thought that the Empire State Building wasn't worth the time or money. The security and lines are a hassle. We checked out Trump Tower, Macy's, most of the stores that make up NYC and walked 5th Ave, Madison Ave, Park Ave etc... Central Park, is absolutely wonderful. There is a zoo. There is a weather center, great paths for walking and if you get a map of the park you can plan your walk or trip through the park.
Chinatown is really nice but really busy, so you really need to hang onto the kids. We also like Rockerfeller Center. If it's winter I wouldn't recommend the ferry too darn cold and most likely windy. One time we went to Brooklyn and there is an area where you can see under the bridge and check out the skyline.
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...vefridays.html
The above site is really fun, there are live cams around the city, you can go to the cam by Fridays, we called a friend and asked him to get on line to see us. Pictures can be taken from the site as well. Real fun. We love to walk around because you never know what famous person you might see.