Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Spectacular Light Show

Last night I and thousands of others in the northern parts of North America were treated to a fantastic display of the Aurora Borealis. I was in an excellent location for viewing. I had left my deer stand before sunset and was waiting for the rest of the party to return to the vehicles. There were no lights to diminish the awesome show. As the sun set I looked up and I was treated to something I had never witnessed in such brilliance. The colors, curtains of light and the shimmering lights were a sight I will never forget. It made any laser light show lame by comparison because this one was done by ionized particles and our own magnetic field.

The Aurora is supposed to be visible for the next two nights. So if you are in the northern part of the country, don't have a lot of city lights to contend with and have clear skies, take a look. You won't be disappointed.

Take care,
Mike(Who'll be looking to northern skies after sunset)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Spectacular Light Show

Thanks Mike for that description..you did very well..I read and heard on the news that it was visibile all the way down to the Tenn Valley area which is not far from us.

edited...I just saw the local news and they had reports of seeing the lights in N parts of Ark..so they are shining pretty far south..we will have a crystal clear night and I will ck it out.

Post Edited (11-08-04 17:09)
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

The lights were seen in the suburbs of Chicago. We went out last night, but didn't see them. We will try again tonight.
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Mike,
Will have a look tonight. I've only seen them once before and there is no way to really describe them, hope to see something...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Spectacular Light Show

Mike,

The light show was fabulous!!!! I watched it around 10:30 pm (CST) last nite. I live in Northern Illinois about 110 miles due west of Chicago. I remember seeing it only one time before in my childhood. The sheer beauty is difficult to describe. I am going out in a little while to try to see it again tonite.

Terri Ann
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:06 AM
VTJen

I missed the show this time, but about 6 years ago we were driving back from Boston one night. From the NH border all the way home I was treated to the most amazing display I have ever seen. We get peaks of them all quite often, but that was something that I shall never, ever forget.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately we had too many clouds obscuring the view. Maybe tonight!

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Admiral

You know, I have never seen the northern lights. Or, maybe I did when I lived in upper Michigan, but I was a small child so I don't remember. You guys are lucky to be able to see such a spectacular show! Maybe someone could try to take a picture for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 9th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mike,
You are indeed very lucky to be able to see such a sight! I think Michele's idea is good, could someone try to take a picture to share? I'm sure we won't get the same effect, but it might be worth the effort. Thanks for sharing your sighting! Cathy

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Being a native Californian, I've never seen the northern lights - I too would love to see some shots!

Carnival Paradise
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
susancruzs

I'm going to drive north away from my city lights tonight to see what I can see, seems pretty clear out! I think if I get close to the border (Wisconsin) I might have a good look!

Susie