Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ship's SECRET cabins

With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.

Most ships have a few "secret cabins" which are different than other cabins within the same category. They could be different because of larger balconies, or large cabin because of the layout, etc.

Some examples might be the "hump cabins" on RCI Radiance Class, or the FVs on Celebrity, the aft cabins on many ships.

If you've ever stayed in one of these secret cabins I'd appreciate you posting the ship, cabin #, and ammenities that you felt gave it that something extra.

Also would like to hear about the awful secret cabins. Those that are noisy because of a bar or disco around it, etc.

Again.. please be specific, with ship, cabin #, and reason to avoid.

Thanks in advance with the help for this article. Hope I can get enough input to make it work.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship's SECRET cabins

OK Kuki, we were in cabin 8588 on the Brilliance. This cabin is on the starbaord side just forward of center on the "Hump". The balcony was half again bigger than the standard E-1 cabins balcony. Picture a balcony sliced diagonally across the width and added to the standard size. The plus about this one was that there was a lounge chair, which would not fit on a normal Cat. E-1 balcony, plus the normal two chairs and a table. Next year we are staying in cabin 8104, port side, just aft of the center on the "Hump". this one looks big enough to hold two loungers, two chairs and a table. We'll see. We tried to get 8102 or 8088 as we knew they had 2 loungers, two chairs and a table, but they were taken. As far as the cabin goes I don't think there were any more amenities than our first cruise on the Atlantica.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old November 10th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Kuki, That's a good topic....

I'm not sure we should share our little secrets but...

The 2 farthest aft mini suites on many of the newer Princess ships have huge nearly double in size verandas. We stayed in D-732 on the Star and E-728 on the Saphire. The deck wraps around the structural part of the aft of the ship and really gives you a lovely place outside large enough for a table w/ four chairs and two chaise lounges as well as extra room to walk about.

Holland America Veendam cabin #L500 is a huge "inside' cabin almost as big as most suites. If you don't require a window or balcony, this cabin offers a lot of space.

Post Edited (11-10-04 20:01)
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Remember when you were on the Veendam, and I was just visiting and was given a tour...? Well the woman who showed us around, told us about these secret cabins on the deck where all the suites were. They were inside cabins, and they were humongus, and NOT specified as handicapped cabins...you could have mega parties in these cabins!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Norwegian Star on Deck #11 mid ships, sorry can't remember the number. The noisiest room we ever had. The market cafe was over us and it was constant walking, etc and the food carts etc going bumpity bumpity all day and well into the night. Our neighbors said it sounded like a thunder storm at night. Now we make sure where the room is located.

Old November 11th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Our "secret" cabin was on Celebrity Millennium, cabin 9043. It was a concierge-class cabin, but what was really special about it was that it jutted out a little, so the balcony was slightly extended in one corner. We basically got an extended balcony without paying for one.

The same cabin on the opposite side, 9038, as well as the cabins beneath these: 8045 & 8046, 7049 & 7080, and 6053 & 6048 all have this same slightly extended balcony. I think the same thing is true of all the Millennium-class ships, as well.

Like Chuck said, I feel like I shouldn't give away my "secret" but who knows when I'll cruise on another Millennium-class ship again, so I might as well help others get the same little bonus.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
susancruzs

The Carnival Glory (and I assume other ships in the same class) have cabins on the side, last one aft that have bigger balconies for the same price as other cabins in 8A or 8B. The extra width balcony was really nice, twice the normal size.

There is a drawback for the 8A cabins aft on the Upper Deck, that is directly over a late lounge, unless you are a night owl, it has music until the wee hours of the morning!

When Jennifer and I cruised, I read a post about those aft on Upper so we switched to 8B Empress deck. Others in the group didn't switch and were quite unhappy with the loud music.

Susie
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Traveling on the Navigator of the Seas, we have room 1692, I am concerned with noise from the cafe above and it is a conecting room, will we hear our next door cabins mates? Also the size of the balony is it lager than the other D! cabins with it being at the back of the boat? We can swich cabins and would really like to know if anyone knows of a special cabin on this boat. We do want a balony and we have four people in the room. Any ideas??? Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
LALA

I stayed on Carnival's Elation, and stayed in stateroom V25. There is a partially obstructed view (i.e. there is about 6 inchs of the balconey that is not obstructed by a life boat). If I remember correctly, they gave me a discount so it might be a good way to stay in a balcony without paying balcony prices.