Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Daily Posts...

Hi all !!

As you all know, I am new to the morning post group. So, I thought it would be nice to get to know you all a little better.

My idea is that if you all could reply here on this thread with a little bit about yourselves (Married? Children? Work? Hobbies? Pets? etc...), then I would get to know you all a little. Also YOU all may learn a little about each other that you may not already know.

Of course I would be happy to answer any questions about myself, just ask away!

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Daily Posts...

Hi Notta:

I'm Mike the bald headed moderator. Who has very shiny head. If I'm in the sun too long you would even say it's red. All of the other staff members laugh and call me names. But it's all in good fun and we play our cruising games. <VBG>

Seriously:
I live just west of Minneapolis and I am married to my wonderful wife, Betty. I have two kids, who no longer are kids, one granddaughter who is the apple of grandpa and grandma's eye.

I also have Kramer the six million dollar dog. He is a yellow lab with more metal in him than a 65 Chevy. Soon to have a little less metal in him.

I took my first cruise in February of 2000 and became thoroughly addicted. I have 15 under my belt and craving more.

I have been with Cruisemates for about 4 years. I hung around here so much they decided I might as well do something productive. I do some moderation of the boards and some back room stuff. I have a bit of a health problem so Cruisemates helps keep me off the streets and keeps my wife from throwing me out the window. So remember; I read slowly so don't type fast. <VBG>

Welcome and I am glad you joined us.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mike,

No worreies a about me typing to fast!!!

We have a million dollar cat, coincidently named Mikey. No metal but a HUGE vet bill due to a urinary blockage last year. He is fine now, but I think if it happens again my husband (who is allergic to cats) won't be willing to shell out all that $$$ to keep him.
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Daily Posts...

Nota, welcome to our bunch. Periodically, Kuki asks for a Roll Call. That's when everybody posts about themselves. We did one not too long ago. You might want to check it out. There's a wealth of info on everyone in that thread.

Judy
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cruzin K and J,

Thanx for the info.... I did not know that!
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Good morning Notta and welcome to the family.

We took our first cruise for our 30th anniversary in 2001 on the Celebrity Millenium. Like so many others that was enough to get us hooked on cruising. I found this site about 3 years ago and have been hooked on it also ever since.

My husband Jere (Jake) and I live in Florida 7 months of the year and in WI the rest of the time. This year, because of health reasons, we will be seeing some snow again as we stay in WI longer for my treatments. I taught preschool for 10 years, but at present am not working. My husband is a consultant and does a lot of traveling.

I hope you stay around and get to cruise with some of the gang from around here sometime. Even without meeting face to face, many of us feel like old friends.

Phyll

Old November 11th, 2004, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Hi Notta,
We're from Augusta GA., both of us nurses; Cruising since '95 & we have 2 fur children that rule the house.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM
First Mate

We are from Southern NH. Have a seven year old son, 4 year old cat and a 7 month old puppy. I am a substitute teacher and working on my BA in Elementary/Special education. Graduate January of 2006!!!!!!!!

Carnival Miracle
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Hello Notta..We are in west central Arkansas near Hot Springs...we took our first cruise last April on the Fantasy and are leaving again in Dec on the Conquest...as you can see we are hooked also..My name is John and my DW is Marsha..paaLezzze..No John and Marsha jokes.....I am an EMT/EMD and work in a 911 center and wife is an accountant for the local college..between us we have 5 grown children and no grandchildren....yet...they are, of course, all grown and out of the house. The next to the youngest is starting his 4th yr in Med School and when he graduates, we hope to do more cruising..>G<

Glad to have you on board here at CM..and hope you keep on posting.

Post Edited (11-11-04 14:24)
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The Kuki's are from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The family is myself, Mrs Kuki, and two boys 23 & 18.

One is busy applying to Graduate Film School programs, the other is a college freshman.

I own a small hotel and bar, and have been in the hotel/restaurant/bar business since 1978.

Fell into the "online cruise business" about 9 years ago, on AOL, and then joined CruiseMates when Anne Campbell started it, and invited me to come "work" here.

It's a great sideline, and diversion, from my "regular" work.. and I love getting to write feature stories about whatever cruise topic comes to mind, and doing some cruise reviews.

And I LOVE meeting all our readers in person on ships. A job with lousy pay, and GREAT benefits.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Hey Notta, I'm Mark. My cruise addicted wife Robin (Set4cruz) chimes in here occasionally. By the time my sister and her husband move into their new home from our home (they're boarders) I may have less hair than Mike. ((grin) We are from northern Illinois and have been addicted to cruising ever since my sister (same one) talked us into our first cruise last year. I think this is the only reason that we are letting her stay at our house till their closing date. Well, (insert a hem and a haw) the $20 a day they're paying us helped a little. {{wink}} My brother -in-law keeps telling us that they are paying for our cruise. Ya know what, he's right. Welcome aboard. As Jason says, "Sea Ya".

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old November 11th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Gaile and Harry Smith from Long Island here. I've been hanging around here ever since the site was started and have been hosting chat since shortly after that. We have two daughters, a son-in-law and the Golden Child (that would be the granddaughter). No furry friends at the moment but I'm considering getting a new puppy for 'da Coot' (that would be dh) for Xmas.

One of the best things about cruising is getting to know these zany people personally and online. It's a wonderful extended family and you are welcome to join. Hang around and get to know us all and we will get to know you too.

Carnival Glory
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

You guys are great!!!

Phyllbo - I wish I could get my husband to cruise with me, we are celebrating out 15th Anniv. this Jan. He has a phobia of anything that he can't get out of (ex. ships where he can't swim to land, planes, rollercoasters that have a locking restraint, bieng handcuffed to the fridge .) Good luck with your health issues, and try to enjoy the snow even though I am sure that is the reason that you winter in FL.

C-cats - Fur children??? I am hoping you mean cats or dogs or something? haha

Theta - I am also from S. NH, Raymond area. I have a 17 yo daughter, a 9yo cat (yellow tabby), and a 5 yo dog (chiuaua mix) 1/2 the size of the cat.

Bigjohn - Wow 5 kids!! 1 is enough for me!! My Dad was a firefighter/ EMT, but due to health reasons he had to retire a few years ago.

Kuki - I grew up working in the restuarant/catering business. My great Aunt and Uncles owned the place and I started helping out at 7 right up until I was 19 when they sold (the building has been 3 different restraunts and 2 adult entertainments clubs since then)

S2C - Since the cruise in Feb will be my first, I am a little concerned about all of you who tell me about the addiction!!! hehe. Looks like hubby will be staying home alone alot more often in the coming years!

Hope I didn't miss anyone!! It is nice to meet you all!

Tweety - Sorry you posted after I started typing. (It takes me a while because I type between calls at work) It is nice to meet you also. I have to say, I wouldn't recomend a dog. But I think that is because we have a high maintenance one, ALWAYS needing attention. The cat, however is very self sufficient! Keep that in mind when you are doing your x-mas shopping... Look for a laid back kind of pooch.

Post Edited (11-11-04 16:00)
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Hey all, this is Lisa from utah. I am married to a wonderful husband who is a Civil Engineer for a local company. We've been married for almost 20 years and are going on our very first cruise Aug. 2005 to celebrate our 20th anniversary.
We have 2 wonderful adopted children--a 12 year old daughter (who looks like she should be 15 <<<<VBG>>>>>> (she's 5'101/2" and loves Basketball) and a 3 year old little boy. We are so blessed to be able to give these children a good home.
We also have a "mutt"--actually a big mutt <<<bg>>> named Cocoa--chocolate lab mix.
btw--i have the "best" and most rewarding, sometimes thankless, busy, and multi faceted job in the world--being a full-time mom!

Old November 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Hi,Im DOt from The Woodlands,Texas. I took my 1st cruise last Sept on the Rhapsody (7 night Carribbean).After arriving home from Galveston,I walked in my front door STRAIGHT to my pc..had to research my NEXT cruise!! Hubby has tried to tell me for the last 23 years that I would get sea sick,so I would never try one.He had been on about 4 cruises,but that was long ago,and I understand they are MUCH better now.Now,we have a cruise to Alaska booked for May! And we are talking along my brother and sister in law for their 1st cruise!
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Notta,
I am in Manchester. we are almost neighbors.

Carnival Miracle
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM
cruisinKandJ.

Well, this has turned out to be a Roll Call, so I guess I'll join in!

My husband,Keith, and I live in Southern California. We've been married 33 years. I am originally from Minnesota, and my husband is from Iowa. My spouse is a retired mechanical engineer.

We are booked on a CruiseMates cruise, our 12th, to be in Feb. 05 in the Western Caribbean and another to sail the Mexican Riviera at Easter.

Judy
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Notta,
This is Trip, aka Linda,along with hubby Bruce live southwest of Boston, have been married for 36 years,and we first cruised in 1990...I came along as well with Anne, to this congenial site,that has kept me happily chatting for years...I have relatives up by you, in Jaffrey and Keene, and a cousin who is a Bishop in your town.Welcome to our family!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Welcome Notta:
It is great that you found us. The more the merrier. My husband, Gary and I, live in Pittsburgh. We have been married for 28 years and have been cruising for 7 years. I found this site shortly after it began. I'm the Thursday night chat host and would love for you to join us in chat. We have two grown children...a daughter 27 and a son 24. And one furry child....our German Shepard, Sadie...she is 8 years old. My biggest hobby is cruising. It took me 20 years to convince my hubby to cruise...but now he LOVES it. That is about it in a nut shell.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi Notta, Cruznut2 aka Laura here. As you know I am in Laconia. Home of Bike Week!! I have been cruising since 1983 and love it. Welcome aboard this ship of cruise crazies. You will find them to be the most friendly bunch at sea or on land. Keep in touch and let me know if you plan to be up this way again.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 11th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Welcome Notta, but I feel stupid calling you "Notta", do you have a real name?
I am "Rollerdonna", aka Donna from Montreal, Canada, and my hubby James aka Jameee who sometimes posts, but mostly it's me. I have been hanging around this site for about 2 years now, and a greater bunch of friendly, helpful and caring people you'll never meet! In fact, I have still never had the pleasure of actually "meeting" any CruiseMates in person, but I do hope to one day!
As I said, we are from Montreal, which would explain the snowy picture on my signature!
We have been married for 3 years (2nd marriage for both) but have been together for 11. He has 2 grown children and one grandaughter; I have 2 children, a daughter 20 who lives on her own, and a son 16, who lives with us. We also have a 5 year old cat and a 2 year old Golden Retriever who are our "fur babies"
Did I mention we are addicted to cruising? !

donna

Old November 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Terri Ann

Hi Notta,

Welcome!! I am Terri Ann, hubby is Leon. We have 3 grown children, Kirsten,29, Kevin, 27, and Kory, 23. Kevin has a wife, Linda, and they have our 2 adorable grandchildren, Brionah,3, and Hayden, 21months. We live in Northern Illinois. I am a registered nurse and currently I am back in school full time getting my BSN, then on to my Masters. Leon works for the State of Illinois. I joined the "family" around June or July and I post when I have time from my studies. Leon, Kory and I will be cruising the Eastern Carribean in January. I have cruised before and totally addicted. First time for Leon. ( I just know he will be addicted!!!) He was very reluctant at first, but now he talks about it more than I do!!! As you can see, I am a talker, but that's okay. Love life, love fun and humor and of course I LOVE cruising.

Terri Ann
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Welcome Nota!

Dorothy here. My formerly reluctant cruiser dh (more about that in a minute) and I are from lovely Atlanta. We have an almost 14 yo (going on 21) son, my 28 yo stepson (recently moved back in - yikes....) a boston terrier, a big black lab, 2 snakes and 2 lizards living with us.

I took my 13 year old son on a cruise in January to celebrate his 13th birthday and the 2 of us have been hooked every since. We finally persuaded my dh to go with us this September to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and now HE is hooked.

He felt the same way your husband does - hates the feeling of being "trapped". Funny thing is, he discovered you don't feel that way on a ship. Have him read my dh's review (under readers reviews - Carnival Glory - Sept 11 - Michael). It's a honest, upfront look at cruising from a rather cynical point of view. But in the end, he loved it and immediately wanted to plan another!

Good luck and welcome to CM. I've been here a little over a year and have never met a friendlier bunch of folks.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Trip--------" and a cousin who is a Bishop in your town" --would that be a catholic bishop, episcopal or mormon or other??

Old November 12th, 2004, 12:30 AM
First Mate

Candymaker (aka grant) and sweet Carol (carol) from Edmonton Alberta Canada. We are both chocolatiers, we also own and operate a candy store. We took our first cruise in 1991, our next one 9 years later, we are now hooked having cruised 8 times since our second cruise in 2000
We have one son 30,(married) and one daughter 22 (still living at home) also one very sweet granddaughter,1 and one 10 year old cat
Grant

Post Edited (11-12-04 00:37)
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Hello. Being the Cynic. I am from parts unknown.

In my "other life", I actually live about 3 miles from Rollerdonna, but am too lazy to actually meet the nice lady. Mrs. Cynic even works in the same field as RD, and I am a small business owner. We have been on 9 cruises, some back-to-back on the same ship. I have a 22 month old daughter and 4 month old son, and just bought a new house, so we won't be cruising for a spell, until the kids are bigger and those horrible, horrible bills go away.

In my third life, I am a successful cruise company tycoon, with 2% body fat, perfect tan and teeth, all my hair, and dating vacuous supermodels half my age. My kids listen to me when I ask them to do something, and my Lamborghini never needs servicing, or a tow for that matter. Everybody likes me, shucks, even my friends call me, without me having to call them first.....

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old November 12th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Hello and Welcome. My name is Carol. I am 49 and live in Springfield, Ohio. I am divorced and have one daughter who is almost 20, and a Golden Ret. named Shadow who will be 7 next Friday. I am a bookkeeper for a nursing home by trade. I love to cruise and will be going on my 7th cruise on Jan. 30th to celebrate my 50th birthday.
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Hi Notta,

I'm Ed from the Finger Lakes region (West-Central) of upstate New York. My DW Marybeth survive the winters here in Horseheads by cruising every Jan. or Feb. (this year it's Jan. 29th). I'm an electrician by trade, but at the small plant that I work in, I do it all, (carpenter, plumber,laborer...), just like at home. We don't have any kids (maybe that's why we can afford to cruise every year) but we have two furry felines named Scooter and Skeeter.

Glad to hear from a newbie. Don't be a stranger...at least not any stranger than the rest of us. <G>

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:46 AM
VTJen

Welcome Aboard Notta,

I'm Jen, from Northern VT, near the Canadian border. I am a church treasurer/secretary. My husband Gary is a lineman for the local Electric Company. We've been married 20 yrs. We have two children - Lizz 19, newly engaged, attending a University in Tenn studying to be a music teacher. Josiah, 16 - well-rounded teenager, very athletic, good student, hard worker. We too have a furbaby - Jonah - a 9 month old black poodle (tho' we don't do the traditional poodle cut, as it would not fit his personality). He likes to chew things he shouldn't. I've been on the boards since about 6 months before my first cruise - so about 2 1/2 years. We enjoy cruising alot, but right now our funds have to be funneled elsewhere. Would like to think I could plan one in the next 2 years, but it is looking slim.
As for hoppies, we like to travel, my husband is a true Mr. Fix-It, and I like to scrapbook in any free time I can drudge up.
My sister lived in Manchester, NH for most of her adult live, she moved back to Northern VT about 5 years ago. She was a school teacher there. Her son, wife and their little boy still live there.

Nice meeting you,
VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, My name is Iris, I am from West Baton Rouge in wonderful Louisiana.
I am 49- will be 50 Monday while on my cruise. I am married to my high school
sweetheart for 31 years, two girls. One married one still in college. One spoiled
rotten Chihuahua that has no idea he is an animal.

Love to cruise, I do enjoy life to the fullest.
Welcome Aboard.

Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas