Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Dane

Default Cozumel/Mayan Ruins

Leaving 12/4 on NCL Majesty for the Western Caribbean, namely the Grand Cayman's and Cozumel. Wondering about things to do at these ports other than what the ship has to offer regarding Shore Tours. Especially interested in the Mayan Ruins in Cozumel. Can we go there on our own and how (rent taxi, public transportation, etc). Is there an admission to the Ruins or is it just an area for self-exploration? Any help you can give would be appreciated. Also, what is there that "shouldn't be missed" at Grand Cayman or Cozumel.
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: Cozumel/Mayan Ruins

Hello Dane
We just returned from Cozumel today !
Wow what a beautiful country.
I would like to recommend the day trip called Fury Catamaran. They take you to a very nice part of the island, you can snorkel they feed the fish and take your picture.
then over to another quiet part of the island to relax in the hammocks, play volly ball, horsback ride,etc. They serve you sodas, beer and margarits. It was a blast.
The ruins in Cozumel are not much to see. We went to Belize to see the better ones.

In Grand Cayman do the swim with the sting rays. They are like cats, come right up to you and swim around. There is no danger as the love the attention. I even got to hold one and have my picture taken. G.C. is a British ruled country so the drive on the left.
Some what scarry but I managed. Just stay alert. There is a turtle farm also, but that may be damaged from the storms
I don't know what the damage assesment is after the hurricanes on G.C. but maybe some one here would be the one to ask. We were there in 03.
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Cozumel is a small island and the ruins there are rather small and in poor shape. There is a $6pp fee I believe and the tour is self-guided. You can get there either by taxi or you can rent your own vehicle. The ruins at Tulum are much more interesting and you have a tour guide there if you take the ships tour which I can recommend. Cozumel is a great place and very safe and fun to visit.
Grand Caymans must see is of course Stingray City
Jim

Old November 13th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Cozumel/Mayan Ruins

I'm going to Cozumel and the Caymans in Feb. According to the Princess excursion site, climbing on the ruins at Tulum is prohbited. Also, San Gervesio Ruins sounded interesting as well.

Judy
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Dane

Default Re: Re: Cozumel/Mayan Ruins

Thanks to all who responded to our request. Getting the message from you folks that just returned home, Sea Trekker, is very timely as it is "extra" current. Info. from the Community Staff Supervisor was good and reliable. Thanks to, to Cruizin K and J for the info. received from Princess excursion site, hope your trip is rewarding. We are looking forward to our Cruise and getting away to rest before the "rush of Christmas". Thanks again and Thanksgiving Blessings to All. Dane
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Admiral

It is true that there are very few ruins that you are allowed to climb on. In Tulum, (from Cozumel), the only ruins you could actually get on were the lookout posts at the end of the wall and that was six years ago so they may be off-limits now. You also must pay a $10 fee to bring in a video camera and again, that may have increased so be forwarned. The ruins at Chitzen Itza, (from Progresso), you can climb on certain ruins such as the Observatory and the great Pyramid. In Coba, (from Cozumel), you can access some of the ruins including the highest Pyramid but it is steep and very strenous. I am not sure about the ruins at Altun Ha, (from Belize), but don;t think you can climb on them. In Xunatunach, (from Belize), you can access a few of them including the main Pyramid for the moment but understand that will soon change as it is very steep, narrow, slippery, and has no railing or safety measures and is definatly not for the faint of heart or anyone that has problems with heights or ability to climb. In San Gervisio, (at Cozumel), some of the ruins you can actually get up on but even those it is frowned upon due to the damage tourist do.
Jim