Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default New dog

hi gang,
well today has been very eventful, we went to my mum and dads farm and we spotted a dog walking about absoloutely soaked to the bone. So i chased after him and got him to come over and see me. I took a bit of twine and made a sort of collar around his neck and walked him upto the house and dried and fed the poor thing. We called all the other farms nearby, the dog pound and nobody had reported him missing, we decided that we should then take him to the police station and hand him over, but i am so soft hearted i couldn't leave him in the cold kennel and we decided to keep him. (I was crying, I can't stand cruelty of any sort to animals and dog pounds, etc really upset me) We have named him bill, he looks like my sister in laws dog also called bill, took him to the vets for a check over and have had him groomed. Bill is now at ours and if after 30days nobody comes forward, which I doubt they will as he was in such a state when we found him, he is ours for good. The vet we saw seems to think he has been on his own for a while his fur was all matted and he had flea bites, the dog groomer worked wonders and he looks healthy if a little under weight. So we welcome bill to our house and hope he gets to stay! Bill is a border collie all black except for a white chest and little white tufts on his head, he is about 7 or 8 and is well behaved and seems to be house trained.
Will keep you all posted and get a picture on line asap!
Lexx

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: New dog

Congrats on the new family member. We took a "dumped" dog in once and she was the best dog we ever had.

We now have a very overzealous and very costly yellow lab who drives me insane, but still i love her.

Enjoy your new friend.

Caron

next........victory for thanksgiving 04

Turkey Day on the Victory!!
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:36 PM
L&S80

Congrats lexx........he'll keep you company I'm sure.....enjoy!!!

Sharon
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Oh Lexxity.....I am like you - can't stand to see any animal hurting or alone. I am so glad you found Bill! He knows he has landed in roses, just like my dog Gusto did (adopted him from the humane society....he was 11 months old....he is now 8 years and 3 months old and he realizes how lucky he has had it!)

Old November 18th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Beginner

Bless you for taking in that dog! It breaks my heart to see abandoned animals. We too had a "stray" that became ours, and we had her for almost 17 years. A GREAT dog!
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: New dog

Oh, Lexxity, what a wonderful thing you did! I'm a softy when it comes to animals. We took in a stray cat, Ralph, one of the best cats we've had.

When my mother went to the nursing home a couple of weeks ago, the conservator wanted to have her perfectly health cat put down. I had a fit, and he made an effort to find her a home. A neighbor took her, and she is thriving.

Judy
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Congratulations - we have one just like it. Border collies are very smart but need to be "amused". We send ours in search of the cat when she gets bored - she gives kitty lots of licks (which kitty really enjoys - seriously). Then kitty jumps on my lap and Bear (the pup) gets jealous. I am so glad to hear you opened your heart when the dog needed you - you will be rewarded so many times over for your kindness. It's amazing how quickly a dog will forget the bad times, especially when it gets a forever home and an owner as kind as you. Good luck and have fun - tt tfn Jennifer
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Bill is one lucky dog! Sometimes the rescues are the best dogs, case in point, my best friend's SPCA find who was trained, obedient, and wonderful with her 6 yr. old son and brand new baby. He has also become my dog's best buddy too!
Congratulations on the new addition - waiting to see pics!!

donna

Old November 19th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Big Craig

We have a male Pembroke Welsh Corgi which we received from a farm in Kokomo IN about 3 years ago, he was for my wife but is my BEST friend, he sleeps in the small of my back every night, problem is we share fleas which I am very alergic to, he is so ate up and sore/red from them, we have major financial troubles and cannot afford a vet, I bath him daily(almost) vacuum everyday and use frontline plus every 3 weeks, but when we walk him he is loaded with them, can anyone tell me what to do to help him? I love him but hate the fleas?
I know this is a cruise forum which we saved up for for 3 years, And am almost ready to take a 50% hit if it will meen helping us.
Thank You in advance.
Old November 19th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: New dog

Congrats on the dog. I am sure he will stay with you because you are so kind.

As to the fleas..our dogs have them too and I just about have given up on getting rid of them. Frontline Plus helps but they always come back. here in Florida we had the entire house sprayed plus our land. Maybe you can try the shot ask the vet. Maybe you need to treat the entire house with chemicals...it is getting colder now and fleas will be less.

Old November 19th, 2004, 06:02 AM
First Mate

Welcome Bill. I'm sure ya'll will have a great life together.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM
VTJen

I'm so happy for you all. It sounds like a match made in heaven.
I hope you all have many long, happy years together.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Tell Bill to check in on these boards once in a while and say hello to me and my sister, Wendy.

Regards,
Watson (the dachshund)
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Thank you for taking in Bill.I have a soft heart when it comes to animals.I have 7 strays ,and they make the best dogs.I think they know they have been given a second chance.Put pictures up soon.