Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default need advise for next cruise

We just returned from the W. Caribbean on the Star Princess. We loved it! We are in our mid 40's and enjoyed the ship immensely! We discovered snorkeling and couldn't get enough. I believe we are hooked and would like to start planning for cruise #2. Any advice. I hear Alaska is great, but I think I would prefer a warmer climate with snorkeling. We will eventually cruise alalska. We might include our three teenagers next time as well, so we need to keep that in mind. I would love to hear from those that have caught the cruising bug. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: need advise for next cruise

"Those who have caught the cruising bug"- - - that would be ALL of here at CruiseMates!
You are hooked - hook, line and sinker, not to mention snorkelling equipment!
Deedi, you must join us here in chit chat on a regular basis, don't be afraid to ask questions, and we will help you through that difficult time between the last cruise and the next one!

donna

Old November 20th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Ginnie

We just returned from the Mariner of the Seas with our children and 4 grandchildren, all in their teens.
The kids loved the activities in the teen center, and we adults enjoyed the cruise as well. We had sailed the sister ship, the Navigator, last year, and the Explorer the previous year. These mega ships offer so much for all age groups, and we find them ideal for family cruising.
Old November 21st, 2004, 12:58 AM
pg

Deedi, as noted everyone here is hooked! We are of a similar age to you, and we also are " warm water cruisers" . Unlike you , I doubt we will ever do Alaska, we live up here( Victoria) and we have seen glaciers, bear, deer, etc, tons.We want sun, sand, clear blue water, and we too, discovered snorkling and loved it.

There is so much to read on these boards that you will have a great time planning your next cruise.
We have cruised on the Golden and the Grand Princess, which are sister ships to the Star,and loved them. We also cruised twice on Carnival( many years ago) and don't think we would go back to them.
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:50 AM
susancruzs

You might try the Eastern itineraries next time, you can snorkel again, too! You've tried Princess and loved it but if you bring the "kids" maybe RCI Voyager, Explorer, Mariner, etc. would be fun to try!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Princess or RCI! For teens though, I would go with the biggest RCI has to offer! The Radiance class is very, very nice but teens would prefer all the "bells and whistles" on their megas!!!

Happy searching!

Susie
Old November 21st, 2004, 10:08 AM
AR

In the best of worlds you would get out of the Caribbean and go somewhere else. Bermuda is decidedly different from the Caribbean and might be a nice choice. The Mediterranean is a fabulous part of the world and well worth your attention, as are Hawaii, the South Seas and the Mexican Riviera.

In a recent thread that I started, some people said that going anywhere but the Caribbean was out of the question because of financial and time constraints, plus various physical disabilities and phobias regarding flying and the "unknown." But if you're the kind of people for whom the "unknown" is a positive rather than a negative, I advise broadening the scope of your cruising.

Snorkeling is lovely, but there's a big world out there. Besides, you can snorkel in most of the places I've mentioned.
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
venice

the key phrase that I picked up on was that you might include your 3 teenagers..you might ask them for input because Alaska might not appeal to them as much as cruising in the caribbean (or bermuda which is very cool also) and also they stand a much better chance of having more of their age group in the warmer ports

that said, have fun figuring out your next cruise and welcome to "cruise obessive" internet therapy session conducted by CM....if you are taking the teenagers I would suggest looking into Royal Caribbean due to the number of activities that would appeal to all
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

This input is great. I might mention we live in No. California, so the flight is a big chunk of the cost. I had never thought of checking into which cruise line caters more to teens, so that helps a lot. I loved Princess, so I am partial, but I could be convinced to try something else. Keep the advice coming! Thanks!

Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
KathieDM

It doesn't take much to get hooked. One cruise usually does it. DH and I were 60 and 57 three years ago when we took our first cruise. My step-sis is our TA and she set us up with an E. Carib. on Explorer. That got us hooked not only on cruising, but also on the Voyager-class ship. We are looking forward to our 5th cruise this Feb. and planning others in the future. So many cruises, so little time!

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you live in California, you might want to consider a Mexican Riveria cruise to introduce the teens to cruising.......both Princess and Carnival offer 7 day cruises from Los Angeles down to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas......would be a great intro to cruising for the kids and since Princess has the Diamond Princess doing this itinerary this year, it is a great new ship to go on! Carnival also has the Pride (I believe that is the ship) doing the longer Mexican Riveria itinerary.

This would also save you the air fare for 5 to the east coast for a caribbean cruise....leave that for if and when you know the kids love cruising. jmho