Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:55 AM
Big Craig

Default Do Fat People Cruise?

Just wanted to know if fat people are accepted on cruises as we started talking to people on our sailing date and we would tell them about ourselves and all of the sudden the cruisemate thing is off, I am about 450 lbs(yes 450) believe it or not I am an airline mechanic and can outwork many young pups half my age(43) My wife about 210 and also outworks and out performs all others in her office of 20, my 11 year old is normal weight TG!!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do Fat People Cruise?

There are people of all sizes on a cruise ship. I am not little myself and I have been on 6 of them. As long as you are ok with it, you will be just fine. Go and have fun.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
SarahJ

Every type of person cruises.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
VTJen

Yup, every height, weight, shape, nationality, nice, mean, pleasant, grumpy, plain, beautiful, out of shape, buff, healthy, disabled....all together in on a ship for the sheer pleasure of cruising, having a great time and experiencing new things.

Have a blast.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Of course, I am not a little woman and I cruise. I am comfortable with who I am. I guess if some dont like what they see then look elsewhere. Go on your cruise and have a great time!!!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:09 AM
Admiral

How do you think I got my nickname/..>G< I am big and happy and I am going on my second cruise in just a few days. There are people of all sizes and shapes..Dont worry about it and just go have a good time..No Problemo..BTW: I dont consider myself "fat"...I am just short for my weight

Post Edited (11-23-04 08:10)
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Admiral

I'm sure you'll be fine on any cruise, but I warn you: those shower stalls are REAL small (and I am a skinny minnie!)

donna

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Craig, do you mean, that these people you havc chatted with do not want to meet up on the cruise....If so, then you are better off NOT meeting up with people that could so cruel, and judgemental...Go and have a ball, and you will meet many people on the cruise, that will be happy to have you and your wife as part of a group, or whatever.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Big Craig

Thank You Everyone,
I know the shower stalls are small, we have been on a couple of cruises and I put some towels down and tidy up when I am done, so its not too bad, on one cruise the comode was like at an angle to the sink and shower and I had to temporarily remove the tp holder, we are going on the Tiumph Dec 11 2004 and getting a balcony deck 6 upper cabin and in the pictures it looks like the commode is placed aquare on the wall so that may not be too much of an issue.
Last week we were chatting with a couple from Ohio going on our sailing and it sounded like we were going to have cruise friends untill we told them about our weight issue, there loss because we ARE going to have fun as we always do, there are many that do not judge appearance but there are a lot more that do, we are used to it and it will not spoil our hard earned vacation.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I've never seen a fat person on a cruise - everyone looks just like the people in the brochures: thin, tan, rich, perfect hair and teeth.

Oh, wait, that WAS a brochure!

You'll have a ball!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Craig,sounds like you got lucky! Their loss! Have a great cruise!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

It's what's inside that REALLY counts!!! I'll always beleive that!

Old November 24th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Of course we do!!!! Go and have a blast! Their loss.

Old November 24th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Big Craig

I really want to thank everyone for there posts, the couple I was talking about emailed me last night saying he is very busy and does want to meet up with us as they want to know someone also to be cruise friends with, I guess I jumped the gun a little and stuck my foot in my mouth(at my weight that is hard).
I keep forgetting most people work mon-fri and are tired at night, I am kind of fortunate that I work 7 days on 7 days off Weds-Tues.
I can remember my late father telling me its all in my head, ?? i would jokingly tell him no dad its mostly around my waist.
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Do Fat People Cruise?

I do not care what people look like and I am not super skinny either. If people do not want to talk to you due to the weight issue oh well they are stupid. However, I must tell you that the extra weight is putting your body in danger and eventually you will get high blood pressure, diabetes or a stroke. I am not trying to be mean as I have struggled with my weight all my life. But I have found out first handed that obesity will kill you. Obesity is almost the no 1 killer besides smoking and it is an epedemic. When I get depressed I eat but I try to expercise daily and eat better because I wnat to see my kids when they are older. I don't think a donut is more important than my kids <well sometimes it is lol>

Again, nothing against heavy people since I need to get rid of about 20 pounds too. But this is by all means no laughing matter. Good luck to you and your wife.

Old November 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Lilly

We just got off the Galaxy and I noticed that there were many more obese passengers than usual. Of course, you should go and have a good time. But, I do agree with the last poster who said that obesity has reached epidemic proportions. Cruises are not good for any of our waistlines. There is far too much food at almost any hour of the day or night. It's important for all of us to decide to limit our intake and increase our activities> A vacation is a good time to make a "fresh start" because we are away from our daily stresses.

For what it's worth...this is what I do. Please don't flame me. I have everyone's best interest at heart.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM
pg

Have fun, and don' t worry, everyone has something they worry about.