Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM
LynnieXO

Default Holland America - 21 day cruise - Need help packing...UGH

Hi,
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is going on the 3 week cruise from SA or has been on the cruise and has any suggestions what shore excursions to take or has any suggestions what we can do on our own.
This is our longest cruise ever and I am having a real hard time trying fit everything in my suitcases....ugh!
I hope to hear from someone out there.
Thanks,
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM
LynnieXO

Default Re: Holland America - 21 day cruise - Need help packing...UG

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we are leaving next Saturday and our cruise leavies Dec. 15th.
I have heard that a lot of the excursions with the ship are designed to accommodate people with limited abilities.
We are in our early 40's and very active so I think we are more interested in doing excursions on our own.
I would love to know if there are any excursions that anyone knows about on any of the ports that we can hire privately that are excellent and are safe.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Lynn,

On packing only. My wife is a professional packer for long trips. First all Holland America ships have a self service laundry. Use it. Pack washable clothes for daytime use. Wear them a couple of times. No one will know. Use the laundry as often as you can that way you can keep the quantity of clothing as low as possible. This makes lighter suitcases. Check the number of days there is formal and or simi formal. Use light outfits, I.e. beaded tops rather than long beaded dresses. They are heavy and take up a lot of room.

Hope this helps some.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Holland America - 21 day cruise - Need help packing.

Ray is right. Ships not only have a self-service laundry, but also a laundry and dry cleaning service so you don't have to spend your cruise watching your underwear get tossed around in a dryer. I would suggest packing for one week and using the above services.

For formal or semi-formal evenings, pack only one pair of dressy black pants and add a couple of dressy tops. BTW, there's a packing forum on this site. Scroll down under "Ask the Staff."

Judy
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

agree with the above posters---pack for 7 days and then either self service laundry or ships laundry---remember the new vista ships DO NOT have self service laundry facitlies

Old December 5th, 2004, 06:17 PM
LynnieXO

Thank-you Ray, Judy and Lougee. I didn't know that you can do your own laundry on the ship. That will be great.
I really appreciate you responding. I am so stressed trying to pack and get all my christmas shopping done and cards out before I go.
I just can't wait until next Saturday when we leave and I can leave all the stress behind me. I know once I get on that plane there is nothing more I can do but enjoy myself for the next month.
If anyone else has some advice on excursions I would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Holland America - 21 day cruise - Need help packing.

I didn't know that you can do your own laundry on the ship>>

not all ships have self service laundry facitities- you had best check with your cruise lline to find out if your ship does----for example the hal ships all have self service laundry centers except the new vista ships

i know that the celebrity galaxy does not have facillities to do your own laundry