Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Default Need some helpful tips for our dinner party

Next Saturday on the 18th we are giving a dinner party. I am planning on a buffet style and most people are bringing a side dish. Maximum we will be about 50 people I think. No one drinks alcoholic beverages. So I thought I will serve Egg Nogg, apple cider, water and soft drinks? What and how should I set this up? I was thinking to do the desert station on a different table. How many appetizers do I need? Should I put out snacks too such as chips, nuts etc? The main food will be a Honey Baked Ham that is sliced <from the honey baked company> and also beef from the same company. . I am not sure if I will get the beef wellington or Prime Rib yet. If you guys could help that would be awesome! Thomas maybe you can come to my house and cater the event?

Old December 8th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need some helpful tips for our dinner party

Sue - We are having about 100 on the 19th! Not a big deal really.

Drink station (of any kind) should be set up in a different area. Put the soft drinks cans/bottles and the water bottles in a container (I use a Longerber Basket) filled with ice so they stay cold. Egg Nog would be great in a punch bowl as would the apple cider (I have a lovely silver one, but you have to polish it! ).

Of course, have plenty of ice in an ice bucket and glasses close by.

As for appetizers, don't over do since you are having other food.

Our party on the 19th is finger food, but still not over doing it, shrimp, chipped beef dip, crab dip, meatballs, veggie platter and some sweets.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Admiral

How about some cute plastic champagne glasses and fancy bottle of Sparkling Apple Cider?? Very festive!

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

CA... what time should I be there on the 19th?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Admiral

You can decorate those plastic "champagne" glasses with Christmas - coloured curly ribbon - very festive! I did this for our wedding, and my stepdaughter's wedding, the glasses were very attractive.

donna

Old December 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Sue, I just read to plan on 2-3 appetizers a person. If you can pre-prepare and spread across rooms, that will make the flow of people much better. I also like to add some nuts, etc to tables for the people who are super hungry when they get there so they don't over-raid the appetizer trays.

The dessert table sounds great ... try to make it more self-serve, because you will be pretty pooped by that time comes along. Have all plates, etc out so that you just have to place the dishes out and you're done.

Also, remember cleaning wise, the baths are the most important ... candlelight hides a lot of dust etc throughout the rooms.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Kuki - party starts at 6!

But, maybe you'll enjoy the 23rd better, having a dinner party (small only 10 people) serving appetizers of: crab cakes (Jeremy makes these from scratch and they are outstanding), baked brie with cranberry topping - these will be served with cocktails before dinner. Dinner will consist of salad, fettucine alfredo (Jeremy makes the sauce from scratch) topped with either (or both) shrimp/chicken, with fresh baked rolls. Dessert will be cherry pie topped with vanilla ice cream and peanut butter pie.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki,

I think CruiseAholic has a hidden agenda!!! Maybe just wanting to test out your new butling skills!?! I wouldn't show up without a written invitation!! hehehe

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Kuki (and especially his lovely wife) are always welcome! Who knows, one of the years, I'm gonna bust out his way to the stampede and he has promised me a room with a view !
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Admiral

a drink table or counter is a must unless you don't mind 50 people going in and out of your fridge. Set out bottles of soda, cups and an ice bucket. Punch bowl would be great for the nog and cider. Don't forget cinnamon sticks and nutmeg for the cider and egg nog.
Have small tables set up around the main party area for appetizers. Each table with an appetizer napkins/plates.
Your main meal buffet should be set-up in your dining room/area. If you can form two lines around the table, putting the food in the middle with serving utensils on each side that would be a plus.
Dessert table with coffee/tea is a great idea.
Wrap the utensils in napkins, tie with a festive ribbon and put in a basket for ease.
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Need some helpful tips for our dinner party

WOW! You guys had some great ideas!!!! I like the glass idea but my dh doesn't. Not sure why. I will do the rest and I also will put appetizers around the house I think. I ordered the biggest ham the honey baked company makes today along with 2 smoked <honey baked> turkey breasts. This should be good enough as the main dish. Harry I love the idea with the candles <not that our house has any dust >

Lisa cinnamon sticks and nutmeg is a good tip too!

Thanks a bunch!

Old December 9th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Sue, I'd love to cater your party especially so you don't have to work so hard. I'll bring in a keg of Michelob and a bushel of beer nuts, honey glazed of course!

We're doing several Christmas parties and here are a few tips.

Set up your buffet tables so you can access them from behind. This way you won't be bumping into people as you try to restock the supplies. Those hungry people hate to be moved away from the food.

Place trash cans all over the place. People will find a trash can if it's convenient, if not they leave their trash wherever they can set it down.

Place the drinks away from the food and over a surface that's rinseable. Never over carpet.

People are fine with nuts and chips for appetizers. Don't kill yourself making fancy stuff. Keep their appetites healthy for the main food.

Pray for good weather. Bad weather can ruin the best dinner party.

Above all, keep it simple. This can be a very stressful event if you are the one running all over the place trying to keep everyone fed and happy. You are there to have a good time too, not work yourself to death.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Thomas you are always welcome in our home <<<warm Hug>>>

Old December 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Yeoman

at our recent holiday party i hired carolers from the portland opera company and they came to the house in costume and sang carols and the surprise just blew the guests away--------------in the yellow pages under entertainment or contact a local church or theatre company

Old December 13th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Wow what a neat idea! I never thought of something like that! I wonder if it's expensive?