Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Film

I'm curious to know how many rolls of film people bring with them and how many pictures they actually take on their cruises. My husband looked at me like I'd grown horns when I told him I'd be taking 40 rolls for an 8 day trip.

Paula
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Film

Better safe than sorry.

How much did 40 rolls of film cost you?

I believe that "Digital" is a better option as you can review your photos and delete the bad one's and retake them. This causes another problem with how many memory sticks (memory capacity) to take?

Looking forward to all your photo's.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe digital is the way to go too, in fact that's my next big purchase. Unfortunately it won't happen before my cruise (Sunday). I can get five rolls of film in a package for about $6 at Walmart. So around 50 for the film, then about 10 per roll for developing. It sure does add up.
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Film

Hey Paula, Not to worry, EVERYONE thought I was nuts and I took 49!! I wanted to make it an even 50 but I only took 49. I used up 35 and enjoyed taking each one of them on our 10 day on the Grandeur in Sept. I loved getting them back and thoroughly enjoyed looking at them after we got back. They look great in our photo albums, it was our first cruise and we can't wait to go again!

Take 40 Paula, I'm sure you'll be glad you did!

Regards
Comet Cruiser ( Gail )
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Paula,
Bring all the film you want. Nothing like being short of film for those memories.

Just a word of caution. Do not pack the film in your checked luggage. The airlines have a very strong x-ray and can ruin film.
What I do and has worked, is to take all the film out of the plastic cylinders and place them in a zip lock bag. When you go through the carry-on security take the zip lock bag out and pass it around and not through the x-ray.

After you take your pics mark the film cylinder with a marker (an x will do) to show you that these are exposed film. Once again put them in a zip lock bag and pass them around the x-ray security, including any unexposed film in a different zip lock bag for organization.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Transatlantic from Rome on Galaxy Oct 17, 2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old December 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
venice

you might explore a "throw away" digiital camera to take with you and hope that Santa brings you a "real" one this year
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Admiral

On our last trip we brought 18 rolls of film. Ended up buying 3 more at the end.
That does not include 900 shots on digital and two rolls of video.
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since we got a digital, I take a lot less regular film, this next cruise we have a 24 roll and that will most likely be it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Cruisingrandma

I take 10 rolls of film for our good 35 mm camera and then i take about 4 disposable cameras one time use ones. and one water camera. I love to look at the album after the cruise. and dream of all the great things we did... Whatever u want to take is up to u. Just enjoy the vacation..
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Before purchasing my first digital camera this past summer, I always took about 20 rolls of 24-exposure film with me on cruises. I figured that 480 shots would be plenty, and invariably I didn't even use up all 20 rolls. In addition, many of my printed photos turned out to be "bombs" (read, "why on earth did I take this shot?" or "what the heck is this?!")

So I bought my Olympus digital (on eBay) with a 128MB xD Picture Card, and took it with us on our 12-night Baltic cruise. I didn't take a backup camera, only the digital. And I had to take a cram course of manual-study in order to get it to work, since I'd never used one before. Now on a vacation that included such ports as St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and London, you'd think that a person might take a lot of photos. And I did. But as I approached the card limit of about 165 shots which showed on my monitor, I started viewing my photos and erasing those that fell into the "why on earth?" category. And I was amazed at how many "great" shots fell into this class.

Bottom line: I ended the cruise + 2-night London stay with a total of 192 frames, more than I expected but far less than I would have thought I'd bring home from a 14-day vacation. During that time, I probably erased another 100+ shots. And by later culling out even more shots I really didn't want or need, I ended up printing (@29 cents per print) only about 140 of the 192. That's a lot cheaper (and more sensible IMO) that printing 20 rolls (= 480 shots) and eventually storing them in albums and/or throwing away many of them. And I didn't even reach the limit of frames the card would accommodate. I simply stopped at 192. For all I know, I might been able to take many more.

Jack (a Photography Dummy)

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas