Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
salem5050

Default Have a wedding horror story?

Well my daughter is getting married April 23, 2005, and we just learned that the Bridal Shop owner that her brides maides (5) ordered and paid for their dresses in full just skipped town. How nice, and the new person taking over the shop can not honor any of the old business. What a world! How may I ask do people sleep at night?

I can not imagine all the havoc this is going to create for lots of brides.

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM
VTJen

Default Re: Have a wedding horror story?

How absolutely horrible. Did they pay with a credit card, could the credit card companies do something for the customers? I hope something works out.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Admiral

If there is such a thing as a good side, it would be that you learned about it now not
in March. After doing weddings for three daughters and observing their involvement in probably dozens more, this does not surprise me. It just happened to a wedding party my youngest daughter was involved in.
First thing to do obviously is to find a reputable company to reorder dresses through.
It is also remotely possible that the manufacturer was paid for the dresses and might deliver them directly to you or to another shop.
Any possibility that the girls paid with credit cards? If so the charges should be immediately disputed in writing.
Also check your local laws, the new person taking over the shop may claim no responsibility but in fact may be responsible.
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Admiral

it is definatley worth having the new owner contact the gown manufacturer to see if the dress were paid for. Unfortunately it sounds kind of shady and the old owner probably skipped with the cash. I truly hope that the girls paid with credit cards, dispute those charges right away. It would be in the new owner's best interest to try to work with you, not just say sorry out of luck. That is really not good business practices. You might have some legal recourse
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Have a wedding horror story?

wedding horror stories?? you mean BESIDES my ex?

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Re: Have a wedding horror story?

When i was a little girl, a friend and I used to go to all the weddings. We lived across the street from the church. We'd sneak in and creep up to the balcony. In one wedding we "attended," the wedding was a fancy one. But the young ring bearer had to walk down a long center aisle which made many an adult bride nervous. Well, when he got to the altar, he threw up all over everything. The best man rushed him out, the pastor grinned. I don't know what the bride did!

Judy
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Admiral

As a former Wedding Disc Jockey and Master of Ceremonies, I've seen some really good ones.

My top stories:
- Power Failures (run & get a generator and some lamps!!!!)
- Party crashers (it was open bar)
- Fights Fights & Fights
- Wedding of "Nationality A" and "Nationality B". You could bite the tension at that one.
- Food poisoning (myself included, luckily I "cleared my system" and was all right)
- Gift Envelopes stolen
- The DJ getiing hit on (and being kissed on the lips) by the new bride. Truth. Yes it is true.
- The Bride fell into the swimming pool (knocked in by the children playing)
and one "left at the altar" situation.

This does not include bounced payment cheques, the couple leaving for their honeymoon without paying anybody, and the old "there's not enough cash in the gift envelopes to pay you in full" line.

I've seen brides flipping out over everything, from a (slight) colour mismatch between the decor and the bridesmaid dresses, to making their guests wait four hours while photos were taken over and over again until they were "just right". I've been told instructions by the bride, only to be countermanded with exactly contrary instructions by the mother of the groom. I had to go with the latter, since (oddly enough) she was the one paying me, but the ensuing scene was VERY UGLY.

And people are supposed to be on their best behaviour at weddings???

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Have a wedding horror story?

Cynic, I'd love to cruise with you someday... I'd love to hear those stories in more detail! Too funny!

Cheers,
Michelle P.