Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Poll: Do you get a Christmas bonus?

We just found out we are getting an even larger bonus this year<thank you Lord>
I was wonderign if other people get one too? My DH company also takes us to a resort for a 1 night stay every year with dinner and the whole nine yards. He will also be off Dec 24th. What kind of "perks" are you getting or giving?

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Re: Poll: Do you get a Christmas bonus?

We usually get bonuses about 3 times per year. It really helps. The bonuses are usually based on the hours he puts in--and he has really put a lot of hours in recently--well like the whole last year lol. They really help and we do use some of it to pay for christmas. (we don't go wild on Christmas)

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Our bonus is getting the entire week off between Christmas and New Years' as a paid holiday. Sometimes it's almost two weeks, it depends on when the holidays fall; this year it's just a week.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Same as Michelle, the week between Christmas and New Years is a paid holiday from the daycare, so added to 2 weekends it's like having 2 weeks off, and a well deserved break. I also got a Christmas bonus, even though I'm not working, and I'm considering making it a donation the the Palliative Care Centre.

donna

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I get a cash bonus, the 24th off and an office Christmas party (which includes spouses) at the local Country Club with dinner and dancing and open bar.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old December 16th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I give my staff the bonus of being able to continue working for me!

They each get a small gift of cash for Christmas, and I turn off the video cameras for 2 hrs <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: Do you get a Christmas bonus?

I just had the pleasure of handing out payroll today which included a two week bonus for 100% of the staff . This follows a one week bonus given to everyone just 3 months ago.
We normally have a Holiday party (notice the political correctness) that includes extended family (kids, parents, grandchildren, whatever) at Dave and Busters. If there isn't one in your area, Dave and Busters is kind of like an adult version of Chucky Cheese. We get a private room , have an open bar, food, goodies and everyone gets cards to play in the arcade. This year we have been so busy the party will actually be held in the spring. We all blame the Redsox .
Generally the boss buys everyone a small gift . It has been things like personalized swiss army knives, tool kits for the car, fancy cooler bags, shirts, umbrellas . Just something that he can hand to each person besides money.
We are not a very large company and I find the owner is very generous in sharing with the folks who help us to get it all done each year. A few weeks back when things were really really busy folks were working long hours. The owner walked around and handed $100 to every staff member personally and said thank you in the middle of the work day. It was nice. Next week I get to hand out tips or gifts to the folks we see every day like UPS Fedex, postman, regular delivery drivers, folks at our bank etc. That's nice too.
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Admiral

I have never received a bonus. That may be because I worked for first Uncle Sam and next for the Police Department. Neither seem inclined to offer bonuses. My wife used to work for a large banking corp. and again, they did not give bonuses to the rank and file. This year she went to work on a part-time basis at the local Chrysler dealership and even though she has only been there about two months she did get a small bonus.
Jim

Old December 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I work for the USPS and the only bonus is a lot of overtime pay this time of year....however, lots of regular customers at my station bring in cookies, candy, etc. Given that we mostly hear complaints, it's kind of nice to see at least some of the public appreciates our service!
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Lynne &Trevor

The Employees at the Facility where I work receive a cash "gift" from the Residents each year. There is a resident Christmas Gift Committee set up, and for four weeks a box is located by the Library,monitored by a volunteer, where residents can contribute whatever amount they wish to give. At the end of that time, the Committee divies up the money according to years of service. Since we aren't allowed to accept gifts from the Residents (for fear of favoritism) this is the Residents way of thanking us.The "gift" is given ot the Employees at their Christmas party.
Tonight we had the party -buffet meal, in house entertainment, and several doorprize drawings-none of which I won! Years ago, the Mgt used to go have the Party outside the Facility, at a hotel, or private room. For the last 6 years, it's been held at work. I guess finances might have had something to do with it. Plus, it's a "dry" party.
It's always nice to see how we all look out of our work clothes and uniforms. Most of the group "cleans up" exceptionally well, and look beautiful and handsome. Lynne

Old December 16th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Admiral

um , no bonuses. nope.

I work with grinches exclusively.

My heart stops if I get a $5 tip on a $300 order, although it usually has nothing to do with Christmas in particular as far as motivation or timing goes.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I don't get any bonus either...........I also don't get any extra paid time off or anything else.

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:14 AM
First Mate

state employee no bonus & no raise

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:34 AM
VTJen

I work at my Church, but I do get a bonus.
My husband doesn't get a bonus. They do stop at noon (this year it will be on Thursday, because the holiday is on Sat, they will get Friday off), the company buys a couple of party platters, they snack visit, then get home a little early. They do have a Christmas party, but this year it is in Jan - they have door prizes and such. But the last three years it has fallen on my husbands on-call week so we can never attend. In leiu of that he is usually given a gift certificate to a local resturant. If you are on-call when it is a holiday you get an exta day off when ever you want it, and it you are called out of course you get double time and are guaranteed that each call is four hours of pay, unless of course they are consecutive and last over four hours.

This year he's turning in a week of vacation, a change in ownership kind of mixed everyones vacations up this year, so that check will come at the end of the month so that will be sort of like a bonus.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Admiral

What's a bonus? What's a pay raise? What's a cost of living increase? You get my drift.

Wanted, a job that gives one of the above. {{grin}}

Post Edited (12-17-04 06:41)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Thanks for all the info! It is interesting to see what companies do/don't do. I find the sad part is the political correct thing"Holiday Party" versus Christmas Party etc. After all Christmas is a celebration of the birth Of Jesus Christ, the son of God. I find it amazing that some people <my father included> celebrate Christmas but don't believe in Jesus. I find this very odd...Everyone enjoy your bonuses I know we will as we have to pay a few bills and use a little for Christmas.

Old December 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM
ccseadoo

ditto mark.
the CEO gets millions....we get dittely
no raise,no cost of living,no bonus
..oh yeah...we do get pay cuts and
we get to purchase our benifits at a higher price.
oh and how could i forget,they also take the pension away...
..why do I work here again?
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

PFFFFFFTTTTT. No bonus, but we do get from Christmas eve through new years off. I guess thats worth something.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

No bonus this year because I am not working at the moment. I used to work for a New England based grocery chain. In the 7 years I was with them we never got anything for Christmas from them. No turkey, no Christmas party, nothing!! When we did do a Christmas party it was because the employees raised the funds to purchase the food (From the store's deli) and rent the hall and hire a band ourselves. Throughout the year we did raffles of items we bought to donate to the cause. I really did think I was working for the grinch!!! Anyway, bonus or not I hope all have a great holiday season.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 17th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Passenger

I only work one day a week. I not only get a Christmas bonus but received a ham from one of the residents here in the Park where I live. I am so thankful to have this part time job where I can walk to work. Thank you God.

Old December 17th, 2004, 11:35 AM
pg

No bonus here, but we do get lots of tips from customers, and cookies and chocolates coming out of our ears!
Our boss did treat us to dinner out last night( at the Keg a nice steakhouse) with a carte blanche , we are a small business with only 8 employees.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Due to running way over budget this year, we do not get one. We have in the past but, we did get a turkey for Thanksgiving. We might get a ham for Christmas but not yet. And, I have to work Christmas day and the day after. Suppose to work Christmas eve but I got someone to fill in for me. So it is not too bad.

Old December 17th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Admiral

I've never received a bonus in my life.

However, I am getting next Satruday off.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Passenger

We get a $10.00 Meijer gift certificate from the hospital where I work....can't really complain though, we get 5 weeks of paid time off. Of course, you must use this also for sick days, etc.We also get a day off because the hospital doesn't observe Martin Luther King day as a holiday anymore. We can choose any day we want with pay. Holidays are time and a half. Save the hospital quite a bit of money this way! We have 55 emps.
in our 4 pharmacies. It eventually mounts up I guess!

Micki
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I too worked for the federal govt. for most of my life (35 yrs.) and never got a bonus. A few years after retirement, however, I went to work in the private sector. The first year, I received a $5,000 bonus. "Wow", I thought, "this is really great!" The second year, the bonus dropped to $2,500. I figured that was still pretty good. For the next 6 years until I finally retired for good, there were no more bonuses (or pay raises). So I just counted my blessings and concluded that those two bonuses that I did receive were a helluva lot more than I actually deserved. In the real world, I learned, it's a jungle out there!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Working for LAPD (911 operator) obviously we don't get bonuses, and we have to pay more for our holiday party tickets ($30 each), BUT we do get a lot of holidays during the year for overtime and they DID manage to get Jay Leno for our entertainment! (It's the truth!) He's a real nice guy, showed up for free, and gave us a 45 minute show when he was booked for 20!

There are different types of bonuses, I guess...

Happy Holidays, all!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Homemakers don't get a bonus. But.....I get a cruise! Yea!! My DH gets a "little bitty bonus". It will probably be gone the 1st Sea Day!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

No bonus for me, I work for the state of California. But Arnold has given us the opportunity to go home early on Christmas eve

Old December 18th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

are you joking, no bonus ever and no payrise apart from the pathetic 1.5% we recieved this year to make up for two years of no payrise whatsoever. Merry christmas to you to, oh they are also slashing our public holiday premiums to a maximum of two days, even if you work all four! Like i said, merry christmas from Mr Scrooge and co.

ps good job i'm off all of christmas

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
joto

If I'm lucky I may get to keep the job I've got. It was seasonal but may turn permanent (hope). Hubby will get a turkey from work. No Christmas parties except some in hubby's work did a pot luck Friday lunchtime.