CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   foot surgery update- cruise cancelled! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/271116-foot-surgery-update-cruise-cancelled.html)

Chuck Palm December 18th, 2004 02:39 PM

foot surgery update- cruise cancelled!

Hi All!

I haven't been able to check in because of my foot surgery and broken arm. The surgery was a success (although it took 4.5 hours!) and I now have what seems like an entire erector set inside and ouside of my foot. There are three skewer like prongs sticking out of my foot through the other metal scaffolding. This has been a very painful and frustrating experience. My foot surgeon is quite young and looks to be about 12 years old, eventhough he is amazingly talented and skilled.

Needless to say we cancelled our Xmas cruise which would have begun today. Our friends we were planning on visiting in Fla. post cruise are bummed too..

So far the highlight of this holiday season is that the Physical therapist taught me how to hobble up and down the stairs. Our computer is upstairs and until Thursday I was confined to a hospital bed downstairs.

I can now sleep in a real bed with my partner in life, David and our wonderful dachshund, "Knock- Knock."

All is not bad!

Happy Holidays! Chuck

Set2cruz December 18th, 2004 02:45 PM

Re: foot surgery update- cruise cancelled!

Chuck, I hope your recovery is speedy and that you and David can cruise in the Spring. I'm sure that your Christmas cruise would have been wonderful. Knock-Knock, what an unusual name for a dog. Is there a story behind his/her naming?

lougee1043 December 18th, 2004 03:02 PM

welcome to the club --had to do the same thing in aug 02 - hade 3surgeries on my right foot and 1 on my left knee--had to cancel a cruise and that was the worst part

rollerdonna December 18th, 2004 03:03 PM

Nothing like being in your own bed, my mom can't wait to get home to hers. Hope your foot and arm are healing well, too bad about the cruise, but I'm sure there will be another....

donna

Y2C December 18th, 2004 04:57 PM

Chuck, so sorry about the cruise. Life does have a tendency throw a lot of curves.

Get better and hope the rehab goes well, and think cruising.
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...y=4&hour=17:00
Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=28&hour=17:00
Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=26&hour=17:00
Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

venice December 18th, 2004 05:05 PM

look at it from this perspective..tell your doctor to write a note to your insurance company and copy in your physical therapist...have your doctor prescribe a week on a ship that has a hydro therapy pool in the spa (like the Zuiderdam for instance)..a week in the hydro therapy pool on the ship (plus a foot massage a day) is better then 8 weeks of physical therapy plus very few PT have a hydro therapy pool at their clinic

then when you go on your cruise you receive priority boarding due to your "physical condition (crutches and cast) and the entire crew will pamper you

You feel so much better plus your employer and insurance company will love it because you will be able to return to work 2 months quicker and your insurance will pay for the spa treatments on ship

Cruizin K and J December 18th, 2004 05:39 PM

Re: Re: foot surgery update- cruise cancelled!

Venice, you imaginative dreamer! LOL Chuck, b est wishes for a speedy recovery and a future cruise ASAP.

Judy

Jim Bragg December 18th, 2004 06:56 PM

Wow Chuck, I really feel for ya buddy. I know those are painful things to go through from personal experiance. It will get better and heal even though it seems like forever. Just do what the docs say and rehab so you can get back to cruising. Have a Merry Christmas for you and David.
Jim

belgique December 18th, 2004 09:54 PM

Hoping things get easier and you make progress quickly. Don't dwell on the cruise cancellation - just look at it as a chance to save some money for a bunch of other cruises!

Get well hugs on their way to you from freezing (10 degrees) northern Michigan with winds blowing a steady 30 mph and snow drifting roads closed.

bigjohn461 December 18th, 2004 10:32 PM

I am sorry you had to cancel your cruise but at least you are getting your foot back in order to take many more cruises. Get well soon and Hope the rehab goes well.

Lisa December 19th, 2004 12:22 AM

Chuck - sorry that you had to cancel your cruise. I hope that you are healing well and are having little pain.

Cruznut2 December 19th, 2004 05:21 AM

Hi Chuck, I hope you will be feeling better real soon. Dont fret about the cruise, there ia always another one out there just waiting for you. For now concentrate on healing. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Cruznut2

VTJen December 19th, 2004 05:41 AM

Dear Chuck,

Glad to hear that at least your able to hobble around a little. Nothing makes you feel better than your own bed, unless it's being in your own bed with a faithful doggy friend by your side. I know what a joy my dog is, so I'm sure having Knock-knock with you helps to make the long days more enjoyable.

I truly hope that what ever cruise you book to replace your Christmas Cruise, is double the fun.

Heal swiftly...

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004

Harry Martin December 19th, 2004 06:28 AM

Chuck, love your attitude.

Big healing hug to you,

Harry

Mgram December 19th, 2004 07:10 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury and the cancellation of your holiday cruise.

Phyllbo December 19th, 2004 07:33 AM

Chuck,
I'm sorry to hear about the cancelled cruise, but it's good to know that you are on the mend and can get around a little better now. I hope you heal fast and will be able to get another cruise on the books real soon.

Phyll

JeanS December 20th, 2004 08:12 AM

Dear Chuck,

Sorry your cruise got cancelled.....I'm sure you're glad you have David and Knock-Knock there to help you thru your rehab! Just think of how much sweeter the next cruise will be once you are up & about!!

Hope you have a very happy holiday....

MichelleP December 20th, 2004 09:17 AM

So sorry to hear you had to cancel your cruise, Chuck! I hope you can schedule another one soon.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Chuck Palm December 22nd, 2004 05:05 PM

Thanks to all of you for your oh so kind thoughts and amazing amounts of encouragement.

I'm doing a little bit better each day and have an outstanding physical therapist. She looks and acts like Bette Midler and is very smart and has tremendous experience as well as a great ability to listen and understand my needs. She is a Wow!

Happy Cruising!