CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Cruise Ship vs Retirement Community (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/271122-cruise-ship-vs-retirement-community.html)

venice December 19th, 2004 10:29 AM

Cruise Ship vs Retirement Community

there was an AP story in the business section of today's (sunday) New Orleans paper that indicated living on a cruise ship may cost about the same as living in a retirement community (assisted living)

It indicated the cruise lines are not embracing this concept (for obvious reasons), but it does cause me to suspect that somebody from CM paid for the study (smile)

I recommend that once one of the multi state lotteries exceed 300M, all CM chip in a $1.00 per and if we win, we contract with a ship builder to build a cruise ship that by lottery, each person that chipped in receives 2 weeks per year on the ship as part of our retirement package

mickig December 19th, 2004 11:30 AM

Re: Cruise Ship vs Retirement Community

I saw that in an aarp bulletin....sounds good to me. They also need the crematory company that puts your ashes into cement containers and sinks them off the coast of Miami to start new reefs...I'm all for that. :)
Micki

Post Edited (12-20-04 16:59)

venice December 19th, 2004 12:13 PM

very good mickig..also we have to make sure a port of call will be in Canada so we can purchase our heart medicine at a reduce cost (smile)

Jim Bragg December 19th, 2004 01:18 PM

It is something that has been kicked about for a long time now and especially here on CM. Yes it is true that you can live cheaper onboard a ship than in a retirement home but the question is, do you really want to? As much as I love cruising think of all the things that you cannot do or have such as but not limited to personal items (no room), pets (prohibited), Internet 24/7, family contact (limited), and a host of other little things that we miss after awhile. Now cost....Figure for a assisted living here in Florida it is around $2,500 for a decent place whereas a cabin on a ship is about $2,800 for an inside (this does not include tips etc).
Jim

venice December 19th, 2004 02:35 PM

Jim, you are trying to inject "logic" in this equation which I guess is your role..the natural conclusion of this exercise is that some one buy the Norway and turn it into a combination independent living situation with a "cruise experience" without actually sailing anywhere..then we could have the "best" of both worlds

Jim Bragg December 19th, 2004 07:04 PM

LOL!!! Gee Venice, I could go along with you had you picked ANY ship other than the Norway. <VBG> As soom of the regular CM's know I once sailed onboard this ship and my cabin was 66 sq ft! I have closets much bigger than that. After the first day the food was pretty poor, the worst we have ever had and the entire ships was in exceptionally poor condition and service was horrid. THe only saving grace was that the entertainment was wonderful. PLease, any ship but the Norway! <LOL>
Jim

venice December 20th, 2004 12:28 AM

ha Jim, I knew I could get your goat (smile)..o.k. we will purchase the "old" Rotterdam

Lynne &Trevor December 20th, 2004 07:51 PM

We saw that article, too, and Hubby half jokingly said to me that it would be my cup of tea!! If we'd ever have to get off the ship, then we'd have to have a chair waiting until we got our "land legs" back-or have walkers at our disposal! Lynne (I work with Assisted Living Everyday and we have a beach motif on our floors-makes me want to be on that ship every chance I get!)

marvholly December 21st, 2004 07:59 PM

Wish I could talk my 86 y/o dad into rhis. He has cruised but not in the last 10 years. We lost my mother 1/04. He is very much feeling alone these days and is MAJOR dependent on the family for ALL his social interactions. We love him but have our own social/otherwise lives and need to get him out much more especially now in winter.