Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Anyone fly out of Ft. Lauderdale lately

I just check our flights for the Jewel cruise Jan 29th, and at one point American changed the time we leave here, thats not a problem. Well, now they moved our return flight up 20 minutes, leaving now at 11:05... I know the airport is close to the pier and we should be able to disembark in the first group or so. I was wondering if anyone has cruised and had an early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and how was it checking in and going through security? The next later flight isn't until 3:00, so I'd really try to make and keep this flight....

One last question, anyone cruise with Royal Caribbean and take their own luggage off, that may save some time, but I'm not sure they allow that, really not looking forward to having to do that??

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Anyone fly out of Ft. Lauderdale lately

We missed our 11am departure out of FLL due to pax not going to see customs, made the 12o'clock though, bit of a pot luck situation this, sorry donna.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Anyone fly out of Ft. Lauderdale lately

Hi Lex,
What time did you get off the ship? Was there a lonnnng line to go through security?

Thanks for all your help.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Donna,

A couple of weeks ago we got off the Millie in Ft Lauderdale. Though we didn't fly out that day, and weren't even in the first group to debark, I waited for the rental shuttle, and picked up the car, and was back at the pier by 10 AM.

A later flight gives you a cushion, but franky I don't think you'll have a problem making the earlier flight, as long as there are no unusual customs delays. We'll just make sure you're off in the first bunch.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Donna, I havent flown out of Ft Lauderdal since March of '03. At that time the line to go through security was out the door and down the sidewalk. We're flying in and out of there in February so I'll be watching this thread closely.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Hi:
On the 11th of this month, we flew from Ft. Lauderdale after sailing on the Caribbean Princess. We had a 12:30 flight and we did get to the airport in time; the problem was, if your flight didn't leave within that hour, you couldn't even wait in the security line. The whole airport had people sitting on the floor because the person at the front of the long, zig zag line to get to security processing, would not let anyone through to wait in the line and looked at everyones boarding pass to see what time their flight left. When we were there, a little tiny girl, who looked about 7, but must have been at least 18, was standing at this line, telling people they couldn't go thru, and she was so tiny, a lot of people went around her and then she went and got a great big guy and told them what happened and he stepped in with "his muscle" and told them to get back. I was surprised they had someone so little to keep all the people back. That airport was so busy (it was a Saturday) and they didn't look like they could handle all the people there. We had to wait in a long Delta line to check in before the security line and it was an absolute mess. I found the people at that airport to be extremely unfriendly and I was quite happy to finally leave there.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Anyone fly out of Ft. Lauderdale lately

Thanks Moose Man,
I'm sure hoping there won't be any major delays :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Hi Buddy,
This is a Sunday that we fly home, actually Superbowl Sunday and from flying out of Ft. Lauderdale once before, seems the airport is on the small side to handle all the cruise passengers. I like the idea that if your flight isn't soon, not to get into the line for security, lst time through there, there were only 2 machines, hopefully they have added some? Thanks for your reply.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We picked up my son at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport on Dec. 8 at 9:10AM. The plane wasn't announced-but we were there early so kept standing by the entrance to the gates. The Security lines weren't really busy, and there were only a few starting to go through when we left. However, that was a Wednesday! I was astonished by how small the airport was, in comparison to the one in Orlando, for instance.. Lynne

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I'll bet you can expect all kinds of flight delays in Florida on Super Bowl Sunday.

Regards,
Thomas