Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Default tsunami and ruined lives

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the world is screaming because they feel that the usa has not donated enough to help the poor people whos lives were ruined in this earthshattering event ---yet there is no mention or amount of donations given by any of the arab countries to help their fellow muslims--as far as i can tell by reading the newpaper and watching tv that they have given nothing and yet no one calls them on it

Post Edited (01-02-05 10:19)

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: tsunami and ruined lives

lougee.. just has this same discussion the other night with friends.

While I'm sure there are individual muslims in the US, and around the world, who are donating what they can, it does seem the countries with muslim gov'ts are remaining pretty tight fisted.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

While I'm sure there are individual muslims in the US, and around the world, who are donating>>>>

i absolutely agree with you--also tons of americans have contributed as indivduals regardless of what the usa has contributed as a nation -----just seems strange that they dont want to seem to contribute as a nation(s) to help their own people but they are right in line with the rest of the world to accept assistance from others when an emergency occurs in their nation

Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
salem5050

Wow, untill you mentioned it about Arab countries I never thought of it!

Well the usa always no matter how we try to please get a bad rap about something or another. I can hardly watch the news because it is so sad what happened in that country. No for the part that will make some mad.....I have a suggestion...take all the American troops out of Iraq and sent them to help the Asian countries.

Sorry do not mean to get too political with this post....just my suggestion. and mine alone. So calm down. I Know its not possible.

Mary Margaret
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

As of last week, Saudi Arabia had pledged $10 million, Kuwait $2 million, and United Arab Emirates 30 tonnes of food, blankets, and clothing.

In addition, you also need to look at non-financial aid. For being half a world away, I think US has second largest naval presense (India first) in the region now providing support. The British carrier Ark Royal is also there along with Australian Navy support.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
DavyB

Sorry, ***Rude remarks deleted by staff*** Get your facts right.

95% of the counties hit by the waves are not Muslim,, They are not near or a part of what you see as Arab, or a threat to you, or whatever.. These people if you are interested and if religion means something to you,,,were actually Buddist or Hindu.

****Rude demand deleted by staff***

Regarding money,,, so far the UK gov and its people have given $200 million dollars to help. So thats why the world looks at the USA and says what !!......$18 milion dollars to help. ***political remark deleted by staff***

Something wrong there
Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Davy, where did you come up with the $18m number? $350 million from the government (ok, us taxpayers), direct assistance from US Military, and private donations from millions of Americans makes me believe that YOU need to get your facts straight.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:54 PM
salem5050

350 Million and going up!

They have said that by the time its all over and done America will give a Billion dollars.

Thats nothing to some Arab countries that are rich in oil.

As far as religion I don't care what they practice thats not the issue, the issue is giving help to those that need it. But if you do some research you will see America helps everyone and anyone and as far as this American is concerned we over extend ourselves. You should come to Baltimore and see our inner City and the poverty we have. Oh my thats quite another issue I suppose.

Mary Margaret
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Yeoman

davy

95% of the counties hit by the waves are not Muslim,, They are not near or a part of what you see as Arab, or a threat to you, or whatever.. These people if you are interested and if religion means something to you,,,were actually Buddist or Hindu.>>>

are you saying that there are no muslims in indonesia or in any ot the other countries and therefore no muslims were affected by the devistation---------------regardless of the number of muslims that may or may not be in any of these countries doesnt the koran talk at all about helping their fellow man

by the way i do not consider any of these people as a threat

i dont know about you but i have already made my donation to northwest medical teams that have people and supplies in the field ---and i made my contribution giving no thought to how much the usa gave

marc --not doubting your figures regarding donations from some of the arab countries but its the first i personally heard about it-----to the best of my knowledge none of that info was reported as news

Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Never mind our governments, nor anyone's religion or ethnicity. It's PEOPLE helping PEOPLE that counts here. Individual donations are just as important, regardless of what our governments do or do not donate.

donna

Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Admiral

lougee, it wasn't too hard to find this article from last week:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L28610241.htm

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

While Sri Lanka and Thailand are mostly Buddhist and Hindu, Indonesia is 89% muslim.

But.. those are just facts.... not what matters.

People in need are what matters in this case.... and it seems the people in the western world seem to react too, and help, much more easily.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

You guys beat me to it. Yes Indonesia has the most Muslin religion by population than most of the Arab countries.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Yeoman

dave
i dont have a clue where you are getting your info but its certainly not off the web **remark deleted**
Full country name: Federation of Malaysia
Area: 329,750 sq km
Population: 23 million
People: 50% Malay, 33% Chinese, 9% Indian, plus indigenous tribes such as Orang Asli and Iban
Language: Malay, English, Tamil
Religion: 52% Muslim, 17% Buddhist, 12% Taoist, 8% Christian, 8% Hindu, 2% tribal

Somalia
Religion: Former Somali state officially Islamic; overwhelming majority of nationals Sunni Muslims (less than 1 percent Christian). Activist Islamism increasing in some areas.

Full country name: Republic of Maldives
Area: 298 sq km
Population: 301,475
Capital City: Male
People: Sinhalese, Dravidian, Arab, African
Language: English, Divehi
Religion: Sunni Muslim
Government: republic
Head of State: President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom

Bangladesh

Religion and Society

Nearly 83 percent of the population of Bangladesh claimed Islam as its religion in the 1980s, giving the country one of the largest concentrations of Muslims in the world. Although initially Bangladesh opted for a secular nationalist ideology as embodied in its Constitution, the principle of secularism was subsequently replaced by a commitment to the Islamic way of life through a series of constitutional amendments and government proclamations between 1977 and 1988.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Yeoman

salem ------

<<<You should come to Baltimore and see our inner City and the poverty we have. Oh my thats quite another issue I suppose.>>>

yoo are right it is another issue -- but the part that bothers me is this govt can come up with billions for other countries in order to win their hearts and minds with little or no success but we have good usa citizens living under bridges and in cars with families through no fault of their own and within walking distance of the white house---i was taught that you take care of your own family first and then you help others ------------but as you said thats another issue

Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu

i agree with amry here i mean we are not doing all we camn and we are no longer helping iragqu i want to see our troops helping in the tsunami!!!!\\

goin on my first cruise in spring... YAY!
Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

lulu, why don't you fly to Sri Lanka to help out in the reconstruction efforts. You can join the 1500 US Marines.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

What I find dispicable, which I saw in our paper yesterday, was tourists sunbathing on the beach, while behind them, workers were working tirelessly to clean up the destruction. This picture made me mad. That these sun worrshippers, should even be allowed into the country, right now, for anything other than humanitarian help is offensive.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Trip, please read the local press from Phuket. They are asking tourists to return. If they have the destruction from the earthquake and tsunami followed by a lack of tourists, they will really be hurting.

Please go to this site:

http://www.phuket.com/index.html

or many of the others saying the same thing. Many hotels have reopened, beaches have been cleaner, and bars open. They need the tourists.
I am speaking of Thailand only, where you saw the pictures of tourists on the beach. Sumatra, Sri Lanka, and India all our suffering and are just in the early stages of helping those impacted. Thailand has even turned down foreign aid; they are open for business even with their significant losses.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sorry Marc..if I had a ticket there, and I decided to go..I would NOT be sunbathing , while others did that horrendous work..NO way could I work on a tan, and not pitch in...

Post Edited (01-02-05 21:24)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
pg

I agree, if I was going as a tourist (pre booked) then I would pitch in and help in whatever way I could. I do in fact know a lady who is in fact planning on that, she was going for a holiday in two weeks but is now collecting medical supplies etc. to take and do whatever she can do to help. She will still be a contributing tourist, just not a lazy one!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
venice

In today's New York Times newspaper there is an article by Amy Waldman and James Brooks which addresses the economic impact of tsunami (which has little economic impact but huge impact in lives lost) and emphasis how important tourism has been and will be toward the recovery

This is NOT an issue about religion, it's about Americans opening our hearts and wallets to help both in the immediate troubles but also understanding that we should be prepared to help in the long run

for what it's worth, our Bishop who is the head of the Full Gospel Baptist Convention worldwide indicated that we lost two pastors and their churches in Sri Lanka..so see it's not about Hindu, Muslim etc, it's about people

I think the media will do more and more stories over the next 10 days about what everyone is trying to do to assist the area...In some areas of Africa that were affected, there is not an current government that the USA can coordinate relief efforts

Don't worry about what others are doing, focus on what you can do to help
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Yeoman

i heard on the news commentary radio show today that if its true, israel sent one of the first planes to indonesia with some immeditate assistance and the plane was turned away and not permitted to land because it was from israel----the commentator said that they would rather let babies die then accept any aid of any kind under any circumstanes from their enemy israel-----------------------------does anyone know if this is indeed true

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: tsunami and ruined lives

Loungee, no this is not true. India has refused aid at this time from everyone stating that they will handle it themselves. It has nothing to do with politics or religion, rather it is pride.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Admiral

People, I have edited some posts here and even deleted one because of some comments. Lets keep politics and religion out of this and yes even nationalities please. As RollerDonna said, it is people helping people. So far many nations have donated and provided quite a bit of aid in cash, supplies, loans, etc. One should not try and keep track of how much who gave, rather be happy that they gave. Ask yourself how much YOU gave. We don't really have much as some of you who know me know but we wrote a check for an amount that is over 15% of my monthly income to the American Red Cross. Take individual action and stop complaining or pointing fingers. Thank you.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Yeoman

jim

<<<<Loungee, no this is not true. India has refused aid at this time>>

my question was regarding indonesia refusing israeli aid not india

you editied one of my posts and if my memory serves me correct deleted another --apologize to you and the readers for that momentary error on my part

marc --thanks for the link regading arab countries and donations

Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I have not heard anything about this and really would be surprised it they did in any official capacity. I am sure that there would be some Islamic radicals that would demand this and maybe some clerics but the official government refusing based on religion is doubtful.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Here is a link to a story about India and Sri Lanka refusing help from Israel:

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/24hour/...-9965230c.html

This may be what you were thinking of.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Yeoman

marc--------------thanks again for the link

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

lougee, I've been trying to e-mail you but my server is giving me fits with e-mail. Hope you get it soon.
Jim