Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default Adware/Spyware Removal

I've had a little "friend" on my PC for some time now.

The little bugger fetches pop-ups every minute or so, topical to what I'm doing at that moment. I suspect he is also responsible for altering my settings so that Explorer search button goes to the same ad board every time. I can also no longer designate my homepage in "internet options" under Tools (it always defaults back to MSN Home Search after a bit).

Does anyone know how to purge the little parasite?

I've tried Adaware 6 and even downloaded a Norton trial version (with it's own annoyances). I have Pop-Up Stopper installed, but it doesn't stop these ones.

Any suggestions?

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Adware/Spyware Removal

2 questions.
1. Did you update Adaware 6 after you downloaded it?
2. Spybot is another one I use.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Admiral

I always check for updates on Adaware. No luck.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

You need to do a complete search of your computer for the spyware. Program files, Msconfig, add remove files etc.
Once the spyware is on your computer popup blockers and spyware detectors do not work until those files are removed. You need to remove these little buggers from your computer.

Ezula (spyware) is one and there are many others. Look for items as Web Offer, ezmmod, ezwmo, you might want to search the registry also. But be careful on the removal.
Always back up your computer when going into the registry.

Panicware and google have some good popup blockers and they are free.
The other item is to purchase popup blockers and spyware blockers.
You can also purchase a clean registry program. Make sure you have a good virus program, not just a trial version.

The other item is to install a spyware blocker as Spyware Blaster, also free.

I spent hours looking for this spyware and a lot of research, but finally got what I needed. Did not cure all the popups but believe me, 10 to 12 popups everytime I clicked on a link was getting to the point of throwing this computer to the trash.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old January 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM
salem5050

I recently posted about problems with my computer with spyware, and viruse. I had things I did not even know I had on my computer that was causing problems.

My son is a Computer Network Engineer and here is how he fixed my computer.

First he formated my hard drive. ugh I hated him doing that!

Then he installed as a browser Mozilla Firefox. I was so used to internet explorer that this took some getting use to. But now I love it, when you go to a internet site, it automatically tells you there is spy ware on it, so I log off that site. I have absolutely no pop ups, its amazing what he has done with my computer.

I also have something called PEST PATROL it also warns you of bad stuff.

My computer is flying now! And as he says never never open any attachments no matter how good you think your virus protections is!

Mary Margaret
Old January 4th, 2005, 07:23 AM
VTJen

When we had virus problems last year and had to call a tech person they had us install a program called Hijack This - it got rid of some nasty stuff that our other software couldn't get rid off.

VTJen
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Cynic, try leaving your computer out in the backyard overnight. That should freeze the little bugger off for good! <VBG> Sorry, I am no help with these things, I just ask Mike M!

donna

Old January 5th, 2005, 12:03 AM
GET FIREFOX

Is this internet prodigy about to knock Microsoft off its pedestal?
By David Adams
A Miami teenager has created a free web browser that has been called Bill Gates's worst nightmare

A MIAMI teenager is basking in the glory of helping to create a new internet browser at 17 that is now challenging the grip of Microsoft, which once held a virtual monopoly on web surfing.

Computer analysts say that Blake Ross’s browser, Firefox, is a faster, more versatile program that also offers better protection from viruses and unwanted advertising.

Not only that, the system is offered free over the internet and its codes and technology are all accessible as an “open source” programme. Firefox has already been downloaded by an estimated 15 million users since its launch in November, making it the world’s second-most-popular browser.

Industry experts have dubbed the new software “Microsoft’s worst nightmare”, according to the technology magazine Business 2.0. It hailed Mr Ross, now 19, as a software prodigy. He is also a talented pianist and “an unbelievable creative writer”, according to his mother, Ross. “Anything he does, he does well,” she said.

As a seven-year-old Mr Ross became hooked on the popular computer game SimCity, designing and budgeting his own virtual city. By 10, he had created his own website. He later created his own computer applications and online text games.Soon he was reporting computer software flaws to manufacturers online.

At 14 he was offered an internship at Netscape in Silicon Valley. His mother drove him out to California for three summers in succession.

At Netscape, Mr Ross was introduced to the Mozilla Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation that promotes “choice and innovation on the web”.

Mozilla was already trying to develop an open-source alternative browser to Microsoft’s Explorer, which many analysts felt had grown clumsy and outdated. Mr Ross and his friend David Hyatt began working on a small, user-focused browser. What began as an experimental side-project turned into Firefox.

Mr Ross is quick to point out that he was one of a large team at Mozilla who worked on the project for five years. “It’s a big volunteer effort,” he said. In fact, the pair left before the work was completed, but Mozilla credits them with making the breakthrough. After he left to go to university, Mr Ross continued to be a “significant contributor”, according to Mozilla.

The task involved throwing out all the old codes and rewriting the entire system so it would support all websites on the internet. While Firefox still has a long way to go to rival Microsoft, it seems to be catching on. Firefox has received dazzling reviews from industry analysts. Recently some 10,000 Firefox fans raised $250,000 (£131,000) to take out a two-page advertisement in The New York Times. It is not just in dividual users who are taking interest. In December, the information technology department at Pennsylvania State University sent a note to college deans recommending that the entire 100,000-strong staff, faculty and student body switch to Firefox.

Mr Ross, now a student at Stanford University studying computer science, is taking it all in his stride. As a volunteer on an open-source product, there was no financial reward.

Microsoft professes to be unfazed. Windows executive Gary Schare said: “We’re seeing the natural ebb and flow of a competitive marketplace with new products being introduced. It’s not surprising to see curious early adopters checking them out.”

Not content with making a huge dent in Microsoft’s browser share, Mozilla, the foundation behind Firefox, is also going after Microsoft’s Outlook and other e-mail packages.

Called Thunderbird 1.0, the package works on Windows, Macintosh and Linux and has been praised by the industry and press for finally offering a challenge to Microsoft’s dominance in the e-mail arena.

The software provides a number of features which other packages are struggling to offer. Key features include e-mail junk filters that analyse and sort incoming mail and greater security elements.
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Spybot has worked well for us. Free at freedownloads.com

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Also try Webroot's Spysweeper free trial software.