Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Default It's Wednesday already??

Good morning from me, who hasn't been to sleep yet! Just one of those nights....
Just finished reading The Da Vinci Code - that'll make you think too much to sleep!!

Had an interesting day yesterday; on my way over to mom's I stopped at the bank and was leaving the parking lot, when I saw a woman slip on the icy sidewalk and fall flat on her back, striking her head. I jumped out of the car to see if she was OK, and although she was conscious, she could not move. I called 911, and got a blanket out of my trunk to keep her warm, and some other bystanders brought jackets, and a foil warming sheet from a pizza place. Many people, speaking both French and English, tried to help in some way. The poor woman was freezing and in shock, and I was trying to cover her face so the snow wouldn't fall on her. We waited an agonizing 25 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, and they finally stabilized her and whisked her off to hospital. I managed to get a phone number from her to call her friend and let her know what happened. The friend called me back tonight to let me know the woman was OK and already released from hospital. My guess is she has one heck of a headache and a pretty sore back, but fortunately, nothing was broken. It was nice to see so many people stop to help and comfort her in any way they could. And I am going to be VERY careful where I step from now on - it could've been me!

donna

Old January 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: It's Wednesday already??

Good morning Donna and all others to follow. Donna - what a good samaritan you and your fellow citizens were!!! I too have stopped to help others in the past and always have wondered what the outcome was.

Well, the snow has started here in SE Wisconsin (look out Donna!) - going to get a reprieve tomorrow until mid afternoon and then it will start up again......with the worst occuring as I am supposed to be driving home from work!

I took Gusto out about 35 minutes ago for the last time tonight and it was blowing and I got snow covered - and there was only about half an inch of snow on the ground. The wind is blowing which I think will be the biggest problem with this storm. I can handle 6 inches of snow, but if it blows, it is a whole different story!

Donna - how is your Mom doing since the New Years? Sure hope things are settled there for now!

Have a great day everyone!

Old January 5th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning, I guess. :-)

Still waiting for my wife to come home from work. She was having problems at work so she won't be home for awhile.

Donna, I'm glad you were able to help the woman and I'm glad she is OK. It is strange when you don't know what happens to someone after something like that. Falls are scary, especially when the head is involved.

Lisa: The snow that you, Phyll and Donna are getting is just south of us. Nothing here in the Minneapolis area. I guess 50 miles south of me is where the snow line is. Once again it missed us.

I guess it's time for me to hit the hay. I hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe day.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Yeoman

Happy Hump day everyone. I haven't been to bed yet either. This cold is keeping me awake at night & then I napped in the afternoon. I think I have my days & nights mixed up like a baby. Hopefully I'll get it straight soon!
I hope everyone's 2005 is going well so far,
Have a great day,
Nancy
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Good Morning CruiseMates!!! Donna, good for you for getting out and helping someone in need. Working with mr/dd people we take mandatory first aid and CPR training every year. It is training that is good to know but I always hope I don't need to use it. It is just 30F here now and according to the weatherbug it is not supposed to get above that. I have to go to the monthly meeting for home providers this morning. I have a few job leads I want to check out also. Company coming for dinner tonight so it looks like I have a busy day. Have a great day all.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Good morning from Orlando. Daughter has gone back to school in Jax.....feeling a little too quiet here.
Angela Z.
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Good morning to all of you early posters and all of the CM's to follow. Rollerdonna.....that is a heartwarming story. It is great to know there are people out there who are not afraid to get involved.
I think the snow storm will stay to our north....so we are just getting rain..and plenty of it. But, that beats snow any day.
Not much new in the "Burgh"....just a lot of hype about the Steelers and the Superbowl! Sure would be nice.
I hope you all have a great day.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Mornin' everybody,

I decided to remove all of my outdoor X-Mas lights yesterday before the snowstorm hits today. Does anyone else feel sad that all of the beautiful decorations have to be put away for another year? Oh well, there's bound to be some decorations on the cruise ship. <G> Did I ever say that I can't wait to go on this cruise?

DW came home yesterday from work and asked how many days before the cruise. Seems that the people she works with are being a real pain. But she was happy that she found some after X-Mas sales (75% off) so she could buy goodies for next year.

Looks like we are going to get our first winter storm of the year. 3-6" fo snow followed by freezing rain. Oh, what fun!

Stay safe out there everybody, and have a great day!

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:29 AM
VTJen

Good Morning All

We had a dusting of snow last night. Just enough to cover the places where sand had been sprinkled so we don't kill ourselves on the ice. I have never seen a winter where ice has been such an issue. Walking the dog has become very difficult, he and I are slip sliding with every step. When he tries to lift his leg, he slips, he's gone back to squatting, less stressful. We need some snow that will pack down and make walking easier, or a massive heat wave.

Donna, while driving down my hill on Monday, I too witnessed the same thing. One of my elderly neighbors took a nasty spill. I couldn't really stop the car, as it was glare ice, but I could slow down enough to make sure he got up. Daughter had cell phone ready to call if we had too. We couldn't have gotten to him. We couldn't stop and once we got to the bottom of the hill we would not have been able to walk back up. Thank God he got up and made his way to the house. Once I got to the office I called his home. He was gone, but his wife didn't even know he had fallen.

One of my oldest friends called last night. She is in town because her father passed away from liver cancer on Monday night, two hours before she made it back. Since she has a 4 month old I will be doing some babysitting during some of the calling hours and such. He has had several bouts of cancer over the last 15 years, it just kept spreading.

Son's girlfriend continues to have massive unsupport from her family. Yesterday the doctor diagnosed her with anxiety and acid reflux - she is having trouble eating, and at 5.7 is only about 110 pounds. She has changed so much in the last 5 months, from outgoing and bubbly, to very uncertain, nervous, and on the brink of tears most of the time. Her parents are making me really angry. It is hard to know how much to get involved, as they sort of resent all the time she is spending with our family, even though when she is home no one pays any attention to her. It has gotten to the point that her father won't even pay for food for her to eat for breakfast at home or to bring for her school lunches. She's still in high school, and can only work so much to keep her car in gas and food to eat. It is wrong - especially when he just bought two airplane tickets for him and his girlfriend to go to California for a week in February. He tells his daughter he has no money to help her pay for anything. She went to get her medication and it cost $130 so she can't pay for it.

Most go and drive son to school

VT Jen
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Lynne &Trevor

Good Morning,
I should have stayed up an extra half hour last night and posted with you early birds. I was comfortably watching the Orange Bowl game under my electric throw.By 11PM I was starting to doze. By 11:30, I think I missed several plays in the game. At 11:40, I gave up, as USC was up in the high 40's for a score and Oklahoma was in the bucket.

Trevor just went to work in my car-it was behind his. He was going to ride his scooter but thought better of it, especially in a suit. He bought some new slacks last night that I need to drop at the cleaners for shortening. They have cuffs on them which only a professional can alter. That's the unfortunate part of being short, "Sam, you made the pants too long"! (Goes for me, too, at 4'11 1/2").

Cruises never come soon enough in my estimation. I'm still waiting to see when our next one will be.

I've been watching all your winter weather up there.This week we're staying in the 70's down here in Avon Park,FL. However, it is getting a little boring for the weather guy. He should be happy for a break after the wicked weather we had late last year. (It's funny to say that-late LAST year.)

There's still not much going on so I"ll sign off for now. Take care, Everybody. I check into the thread everyday to keep touch, whether it is late or not, and hold all of you in my thoughts. Lynne

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Good morning from another dreary day in Massachusetts. Waiting for the snow and freezing rain to come later tonight. Hopefully it will be after I get out of work at 11:00 pm. DH forgot to put all the trash out again since today is trash day. Now I need to finish the job. Happens every Wednesday, so I'm used to it by now.

Donna--A big hooray to you for helping that woman. Glad she's okay.

Angela--Keep smiling. My two kids leave next week to go back to Tampa.

Ed--Felt the same when I took my decorations down on Sunday. Keep counting down to your cruise. It will be here soon.

VTJen--Boy do you have alot on your plate. My deepest sympathy to your friend on the loss of her father. As for your son's girlfriend, just be there for her. Knowing someone is there for her to talk to, to cry to and to depend on will help her. Someone needs to slap her parents upside the head. I'll keep her and you in my thoughts.

Have a great and safe day. Be careful in the snowy, icy weather.

Cheryl C
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Good Job Donna!!! Here in NYC most would just keep on walking being afraid of a lawsuit, while others would step over her and curse her for being in the way.

Nasty winter day here with falling temps and the threat of sleet by rush hour (lucky me!!!). I will just put some Jimmy Buffet on the MP3 on the bus home and dream of palm trees.

Everyone have a great day!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone. So much to do, so little time. I'm glad I'm going on a cruise in 23 days. I sure do need it.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Good Morning CMs, Another beautiful day in SE Florida. Not much to say about the weather, no ice or snow thank God!! Have a great day and stay safe.

Jeanne
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Calgary is supposed to get one day of relief from the biting cold we've been experiencing, with temps maybe in the teens F. By Monday 25 BELOW zero temps expected, with snow and high winds. UGLY!!

Have to keep reminding myself.....21 sleeps til I'm out of this!!

There's a redevelopment plan being studying for the area around my hotel, that includes a downtown satellite campus for the University. The planners representing the University have made an appointment to come see me today.

Should be interesting to see if they have any firm plans, and what they are. Maybe they'll simply walk in with a check for $30 Million or so and I can retire to a cruise ship <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Admiral

A early good morning (for me) from another cold(few degrees below freezing) Vancouver. Work was crazy last night with one machine breaking down;the workload was huge! Luckily we did have an extra person in the evening!
FEddie-I know what you mean about the decorations! My husband will have to get our outside ones down sometime soon. We took our tree down Mon., but still have the other stuff around still to put away. Glad your wife got some psot-Xmas bargains!
RDonna-glad to hear the person was okay after their fall.
Lynne-I love scooters. I would love to get one, but not at all practical for me or the Vanc. weather!
VTJen- I hope the girlfriend of your son can get some help. Is there anyplace she can go to get her needed medication(I kind of assume it is for depression/anxiety) for free?? I know here in Canada, people who can not afford to pay at all can often find some Mental Health association/place for help. That girl's Dad sounds like an idiot(to use a nonvulgar term!lol). I am glad to hear she is not going hungry because of you. :-)
I have another busy day ahead of me-cruise stuff to do!!!
Bye for now. Take care. Stay warm! From:Brenda in Vancouver
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good Morning All !

Donna, Good job!!
VTJen, I don't know the whole story with your son's GF, but I have some experience with a similar situation. My daughter would have everyone believe that she is abused and neglected, when in reallity she has everything that she needs and wants (SPOILED to say the least!!). She has even gone as far as telling people that we hit her. Again, I don't know the details of your situation, there is always a chance that a teen girl is exagerating. If not, and things are really that bad for her then it sounds like you are doing a good job of being there for her. Have you ever met her parents? That should give you some indication of what her home life is like.
Everyone else, Have a good day and try to stay warm if you are up here in the cold north.

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
L&S80

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........nights are getting colder......24 right now........kuki.........could you keep the cold up your way & quit sending it down to us?????Please?????? <S>
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday.......

Sharon

May 14, Diamond Princess

Old January 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: It's Wednesday already??

Good morning from sunny, for a change, Southern California.

RD, that woman who fell was lucky that you and all those other good people were there.

Well, I will take my friend and neighbor to lunch today - seafood. Tomorrow she starts her chemo.

Keith had to go back to the clinic yesterday for another blood test, because the techs didn't take all of the tests. I hope they don't make a habit of doing that.

Keith's brother Wendell didn't make it home Jan. 4 because the lifting device wasn't available. But today's the day for sure. They've got some other alternative thing to get him out of bed. It's a big day for Wendell.

Have a good day, CM's.

Judy