Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Joyful

Default 3rd/4th pax rates

We don't cruise often, because we can't afford to when we take the kids (hard to get away without them, they are HOOKED on cruising, like us). Here is my question, is it a thing of the past to offer good deals for 3rd/4th passenger passage? I can remember in the past seeing (or being told by my TA) greatly discounted rates for more than two in a cabin, but have not seen anything like that in the past several years. I see discounts, but not very much. I am just curious. Maybe it is a sign of the times, and the cruiselines cannot afford to offer them anymore.

I rarely even check out the prices on cruises, because I know that we cannot swing it financially, so maybe they are out there, and I am just not seeing it.

Thanks for your insight CM's! I love being a part of this community, and you allow me, even though I don't have much to offer as far as recent cruise experience to offer, to put in my $.02 worth from time to time. I feel like a part of this amazing family that offers up support and prayers when needed, and am blessed because of it.

Joy
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: 3rd/4th pax rates

Joy,

I am cruising on Carnival's Inspiration in Feb, at the time that we booked there were going to be 4 of us in my cabin and my SIL has 4 in hers. If I remember correctly the 1st and 2nd are the same price, the 3rd and 4th are discounted. I can't remember if 3 and 4 are the same or if 4 is a little less, nor can I remember how much they are discounted. I just know that there was some sort of savings. This will be my first cruise, so I can't comment on any of the other lines, but I am sure one of these helpful cruisers on this site will be able give you an answer. Also, you may want to call a cruise line and ask the question directly to them ...It doesn't cost anything to ask, right!?!

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

The last two cruises we took the 3rd & 4th passengers in a cabin were about $150.00 less than the first two. We're leaving the kids at home for the next cruise (and they're not happy about it!) so I don't have any recent figures.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On occassion various cruise lines, on some sailings still offer highly discounted 3 rd and 4th passenger rates... sometimes even kids under 12 go free.

I recommend contacting a good TA and simply asking them to keep you advised if they get any promotional notices from the cruise lines for kids specials.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
First Mate

When we were shopping for the cruise we are about to leave on we were initially thinking about taking the kids. I found that Carnival at that time (Last October) was offering a greatly discounted rate for extra people in a cabin. I also found it made no difference what category cabin you were in the rates for the extra passengers were the same if you were in an inside cabin or the Penthouse Suite. I did price other lines and found the extra passenger fares to be higher than what Carnival Offered but still they were discounted but went up as the category of the cabin went up.
I hope that helps some.

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm no expert at this, but when I start searching, it always seems there is one particular ship that has a certain week that is kind of a "sleeper". This year I found the Carnival Triumph on May 7 to be at a really low rate. Our cabin of four is 1816.00 and that is all the taxes and everything. Booked with one of the online agencies that flashes on this site from time to time, check them all out. I know what you mean about getting the kids hooked on cruising, we took them two years ago for the first time and felt guilty when we left them home last year, so this year we are taking them again, we will have two cabins. Don't give up, just keep looking. Good Luck
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Hi Joy, I know when I started researching cruises last March/April, that some were really discounted for 3/4th persons. It varied even within cruiselines. I agree with Kuki, sometimes there is that bargain out there, but I wouldn't really know HOW to find the bargains for 3/4th person.
I know our 2 kids(3/4th passengers, no child discounts) were about US$220 less each than the first 2 people for our cruise. We booked at the very beginning of May/04 for our cruise this month.
Good luck researching. Hope you find something good!
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Admiral

On our Carnival Glory cruise last September we got a HUGELY discounted rate for our 3rd. I think it depends on your cruise and maybe your TA.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Joyful

thank you all, I appreciate your input! We will keep looking. Although I think our next one will be without the kids, and they will be ticked, to be sure! But sometimes my DH and I need to go it alone and rekindle those days we spent on the ship he worked on when we met. Ah, those were the days! But I love my life as a wife and Mom more than back in my single days! But a temporary trip back to those days is fun!

Thanks again!