Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Default Formal Night Attire

We are traveling on the Explorer of the Sea March 6 and I was wondering about dress codes for the formal nights. Are more men just wearing dark suits or tuxes? Ladies, wearing long or pant suits? Last time we cruised it was mixed (two years ago). Also does RCCL adhere to the suggested dress? I've been reading some reviews and see that some cruise lines let anything go. Is that true with RCCL? I hope not, I look forward to dressing up. It's our first time crusing with RCCL. We were on Celebrity Constellation and dress codes were enforced.
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Formal Night Attire

Last year on the Inspiration most of the men were in suits and ties. I saw very few tuxes. The women's dress ranged from very fancy ball gown type dresses, to cocktail dresses, to dressy dresses & pant suits, to dresses I would wear to work or church.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM
susancruzs

People are still dressing up, I think but not the majority you saw some years back. If you enjoy dressing up, I'd go for it!

As long as they say formal, there will still be folks that dress to the nines and you'll see everything in between! I go for fairly dressy myself, definitely clothes I wouldn't wear other nights on the cruise!

Enjoy!

Susie
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Admiral

teil4 - the majority of the men opt for the dark suit, you will see a few men in tuxes and a few men in sportsjacket with dress slacks.
Women run the gamit - everything from ball gowns,long dressy dressess, long dressy skirts with a dressy/sparkly blouse, cocktail dress, to dress pants with a sparkly/dressy blouse
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:20 AM
claude gareau

Hi,

Dress codes should be enforced...otherwise, why bother having them at all ???

The best dress code is YOUR OWN !!! Whatever you feel like wearing which
is dressy and sharp looking ! : WEAR IT . I've seen lots of sharp and classy
looking suits/.tie worn by men,more than old style tux.
Women can't wait to " dress up" and always pull it off brilliantly.
The RCCL/CCL family lines are fussier on enforcing but will not dictate
a " snobbish " minimum.

Happy Formal nightin'

Cheers
CCG
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, you should dress up on formal nights. It is fun to wear that dress that wouldn't quite be appropriate for church or to the P.T.A. meeting. Two years ago on RCI we had a guy at the table next to us that showed up every nigh with his "ball cap" turned backwards on his head and a T-shirt and shorts for his dinner attire. I admit I was worried on the first cruise we took, I thought everyone would show up in Tuxedo's and that we would be under dressed, but as long as you wear what you would wear to a wedding or funeral you should be okay. (Wait, I have actually seen jeans at both of those events.) Don't overpack! Take some nice business attire, a suit and nice dress. I wish they would adhere to the rules also, it kind of ruins it for all of us who show up and put a little effort into the evening. I also wonder what the wait staff thinks of those "Lazy Vacationers", I mean they are going out of their way to provide us with an elegent dining experience and then there are some who show up in shorts and T-shirts. I know you will look great because you are considerate enough to ask about the attire. Have a great time.
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe the Cruise King

MOM I AGREE!