Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default INteresting e-amil from crewman

Hi everyone. As you know I have become good friends with a number of crew over the years and still talk to them quite often. I received an e-mail this morning from one of them expressing just how much it means to him when someone comes up to him on a cruise as says hello and that they heard about them on the Cruisemates website. It shows to them that they have made a good impression on others and they start to feel an attachment somewhat like someone from their hometown area. Understand being crew actually is a bit lonely as they work just about all the time and have to be 'up' for all the passengers. My suggestion is to go to crew and tell them "hi". If you have heard their name mentioned, then seek them out and let them know that they are talked about and appreciated. It really does lift their moral and it will make you feel good too.
Jim

Old January 17th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Default Re: INteresting e-amil from crewman

I agree. In fact, I had very good service from a fellow named UMA-up on the Lido Deck of the Caribbean Princess last September. He could almost be a movie star. He's from India and very cordial. I'm not sure that he'd remember me, as I'm not sure I gave him my name or he took it.All I know is that I was writing something of a "journal" about my cruise up by MUTS, and he came over to my table by the window and asked what I was doing (as he brought my water). I told him and then as he was standing there, I incorportated him into my daily description. I believe he felt good about it. The final night, he was up on Deck 16 on the 8th night out (of an original 7 day cruise)in his more formal vest and white shirt- serving during the Monday Night Football Game. Hubby and I were up there and he came by and said hello and took our drink order. He was polite, unassuming, and gave good service. Lynne

Old January 17th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Now Jim...if I did that. That would mean I would have to book another doggone Cruise...hey you may be on to something there.

Old January 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Any excuse you can find John is a good one. Wanna go on the Zuiderdam with us? <G>
Jim

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:14 PM
susancruzs

Great advice, Jim! I always enjoy chatting with the crew if they have a free moment, to hear about their lives, country, etc.

I met a really nice young lady on the Golden Princess that took the time to go to her cabin and bring a pillow to show me that her Grandmother made for her. She was interested in the cross stich needlework I was doing and we talked every day. She made a point of waiting on me and I enjoyed hearing about her family. At the end of the cruise she told me she appreciated being able to talk to me.

It doesn't take much to show a little interest, friendliness!

Susie
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Admiral

That is great Susie. I am sure that this lady thought about you often and you really made that cruise for her. Little things like this truly mean so much to them, your really just cannot imagine.
Jim

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Yeoman

When we were on the Grandeur of the Seas in September we loved meeting & chatting with the crew. We got to know quite a few of them by name. Doesn't everyone? Seriously the staff were a huge part of what made it such a fantastic vacation!
Our Assistant Waiter in the dining room became our adopted son. It was his first cruise and his English wasn't very good yet. Our Assistant waiter was Onder (pronounced Oonder), and our Waiter was JR. We always greeted them with hugs every night & we gave them gifts from home our last night on board.
Our cabin steward was Noel & my sister & her husband's was Trevor.
Elaine in the shops on board became a good friend.
Togy in the Windjammer was really good to us.
Our favourite bar server was Rohan.
When we got home I mailed pictures I had taken to Tom Canosa, the cruise director and sent letters to JR & Onder thanking them for making our vacation so enjoyable. I asked Tom to give the pictures to anyone who would like them or post them somewhere for the crew to see. I also gave my email. I received an email from Onder thanking me for the pictures and I was so happy to know he got them. I've received a couple of more emails from him since and am always happy to hear how he is doing.

If anyone goes on the Grandeur you can look up any of my new friends & tell them Nancy, Gail, Les & Dan from Canada say hi!
Thanks,
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Well, I met this waiter, and we started talking................

I guess you could say the rest is history. We just celebrated our 8th anniversary on January 1st!

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM
seabee

On our last cruise on the Constellation, there was a young lady who every morning was polishing the handrail on the stairwell we used. She was always pleasnat and smiling. I looked forward to seeing her every morning to get my "good morning,sir"! At the end of the cruise, I tipped her and complimented her hard work. I figured she was not in a position to be tipped ordinarily and she looked thrilled. I also made a point of telling the Hotel Manager about her and specifically mentioned her in my evaluation. I hope she has since been promoted to Cabin Attnedant.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Sea

Had a young lady like that on Elation looked forward to seeing her every morning handing out silverwear always smiling and saying hello. I think back and she made my mornings
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Seabee, that is exactly how they get promoted quickly. Believe me people, they look at each and every one of those comment cards and they take them so seriously that they have meeting concerning them every week and talk to those that are mentioned, good or bad. Please fill out those cards and praise those that made you cruise enjoyable.
Jim

Old January 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Passenger

I'm taking my first singles cruise this May and plan on bringing small gifts from my home state for cabin stewards, etc. I plan on giving those out at the beginning of the cruise. Do you think that's appropriate?

Karen