Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Default CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

I am sorry I don't want to be a pain in the %%%^%& but I just received an e-mail that states the deposit for this 7 days cruise is $350p.pp!!! That is so unbelievable it's not even funny. Thats more than the Hawaii cruise which is a 15 days cruise. Plus the agent wasn't able to tell me when final deposit was due except sometimes in March...
Sorry but this just does not sound right to me...

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

Sue, this is not unusual and HAL requres deposits to be paid within 5 days of booking. This is HAL and not the TA. Final payment is in early March, the exact date has yet to be told to the TA by HAL but they have gotten them to narrow it down to within two weeks already and the date should be firmed up very soon. As soon as it is we will post it. The tips are included as pre-paid so that is $140pp in value already and is part of the reason the deposit may be that high. In addition you are getting a credit to dine in the specialty dining area which is worth at least $25pp and use of free items at Halfmoon Cay that are probably worth more than $50pp not to mention the party with open bar anb hor dours. In addition you cannot come within $100 of the pricing they have obtained for us if you book directly or with another TA and they are offering no extras. It really is a great cruise and price. I am looking for a nice group onboard and we intend on having some plesant surprises in store for those that go on this cruise.
Jim

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sue! The cruise line sets the deposit rate... and it IS $350/person. The final payment is due 70 days before sailing.

Up until recently all the cruise lines were charging a $250/ person deposit, but many are going to $350.

Every once in awhile they run specials reducing the deposits, but infrequently.

The deposit for Get Lei'd Version 3.0 was $450/person.... Until the end of this month they've reduced it to $100. But it will go back to $450.

Are the cruise lines being unreasonable charging such significant deposits? Possibly! But the total fare stays the same either way.... You pay for it now, or you pay for it later.

The higher up front deposit does mean the amount owing at the end is less. I'm sure some people probably prefer to have the lower bill when final payment is due.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Sue,
Our deposits for upcoming 3 cruises are the following.
Celebrity, May 2005 and March 2006 .. $450 per person per cruise. HAL Sept 2005 $500 per person, so the $350 p/p is a bargain to me.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

I know it's the cruise lines not the TA...I also think this cruise is a great bargain btw! I just have a problem with them holding my money for so long.
Oh well, it's time to get used to it I guess!

Y2C that's a lot of money!

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Sue, after years of low deposits, it is hard to get used to the increases. I really think most of the cruise lines are doing this now so we just have to grin and bear it if we want to cruise. I think with the number that back out, it's not a bad idea to increase the fee. I'd rather see the cruiselines work on their profit margins this way than to keep increasing rates and lowering quality.

Phyll

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Admiral

While the deposits may be high, I can see from the Cruise Lines standpoint. They get to draw interest on your money and use it longer and witht he larger amounts of the deposits the more interest. Personally I dont have a problem with it, if and when I get ready to cruise again, I will just deal with it. Like Kuki said, that is just less to pay at the payoff time. This is just MHO.

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

I just checked the same cruise on Travelocity..they want a $1000 deposit! I guess it's time to just bear down and pay it.

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

You're absolutely right to want to hold on to as much of your money for as long as possible. That's just good sense. But you also have to analyze what you're losing so you know what's worth fighting for and what isn't.

In your case you're paying a $350 deposit. I'm guessing that if it were $100 you would think it was perfectly fair and wouldn't argue. So that's a $250 hit that you think is wrong.

Apparently your final payment is due sometime in March, so you're losing the earning power of $250 for, say, two months. Assuming you could get 5% on that money (which you probably can't), your actual loss is (drum roll please) two bucks.

Sure, it's true that if your cruise were a whole year away you might lose 10 bucks, but it's still trivial.

Here's a more productive plan: every year on these boards I see posts about how people are going to spend their tax refunds, which for some run into the thousands (many, of course, book cruises). But if you get a tax refund it means that you've sent too high a "deposit" to Uncle Sam--and he's not even demanding that you do it! And he's kept far more of your money for far longer. So instead of focusing in on a trivial issue like cruise deposits, how 'bout adjusting your withholding so that you pretty much break even on your tax bill, then putting the extra take-home dollars into an interest-bearing cruise fund? Takes discipline. But it's worth doing.

Sue, you may be one of those people who has your withholding fine tuned to a razor's edge, and if so that's great. In any event I don't mean to be scolding you personally. It's just that so many people miss the forest for the trees. . .
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: CM Cruise Zuiderdam deposit amount outrages?

10 Bucks is a lot of money! It would buy me 1/2 tank of gas!

As for the taxes I guess each his own.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

One other thing to consider... the deposits are totally refundable until final payment is due, with no service charges. So, the interest the cruise lines may make on your dollar probably offsets somewhat what they may loose with people cancelling.

I think I'd prefer paying a bit of a larger deposit, then seeing them institute some sort of service fee for cancellations.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Got your money in a savings account earning interest? Between now and June a $350deposit will earn about a dollar to keep in your bank instead of passing on to the cruise line.
Not quite worth making a fuss over.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

As we are all discovering, deposits are increasing and actually this deposit is pretty cheap compared to what we have seen elsewhere. Even sue checked with another well-known agency and they wanted $1000!!! Man, we are offering cabins less than that! <VBG> Also stand by for some great news on this cruise as well. Believe me, this is one you do not want to miss.
Jim