Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Default Poll: Things That Have Disappeared Without Our Noticing

While walking through a mall food court, I suddenly realized that there was no Orange Julius. When and where did it go? Then, there is T J Cimmamons, which I used to see everywhere but not anymore.

Do manual typewriters, even electrical ones, still exist? Then, how about rotary dial telephones? What else can you think of that seemed to have suddenly disappeared?
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll: Things That Have Disappeared Without Our Noticing

They still have Orange Julius in our malls. They're combined with a Dairy Queen and are usually a freestanding kiosk-type thing.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Admiral

I know what you're talking about Paul. In the past we would have a take apart center in the preschool classroom. We would arm the kids with protective goggles and some screwdrives to take apart old rotary dial phones, old radios and things like that. Now everything has computer chips, and sure isn't a lot of fun when pulling apart. I really have to say that I do enjoy a lot of the new inventions, interesting parts or not.

Phyll

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have a rotary phone in my office. One time when I was being interviewed by a reporter, he referred to my office making him feel like he was visiting Sam Spade.

But.... I haven't seen a juke box that plays records for a LONG time!

And of course, vinyl records are almost extinct. Kuki Jr collects vinyl records, and amazes me when he shows me how much they sell for.

And manners.. they seem to be growing extinct <G>

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Yeoman

What about the big computer floppy disks? The car phones (the true hooked to the car type)?

Holiday May 2000
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Kuki,

My mother still have a jukebox that plays vinyl singles. We had one that played lp's as well but I am not sure what happened to that one.

I have been racking my brain to come up with something that has dissappeared that no one has brought up yet and all I am coming up with is Fry Daddy's and Chi Chi's resturaunts.

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Admiral

My Paycheck...seems it gets lost every 2 weeks.<G>

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Here are a few more things that have disappeared

Wringer Washing machines
Dr Lyons Tooth Powder
2nd mail delivery of the day
Dry cleaner pick up and delivery
The milkman
grocery carry out service
penny candy
2 movies and a newsreel at the movies on saturday afternoon

That is just a few I could think of.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Still have Chi Chi's here; but I really miss Hardees!

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:59 PM
First Mate

Oh I got one. Carter's Little Pills

I think they still have Hardee's in Georgia. They do make some good biscuits though don't they?

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Geritol! .... and just when my blood was getting tired too!
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Em3

My son was fourteen when we just came across a rotary phone in my mom's apartment; he didn't know how to spin the dials. I had to show him how to use your finger.

I had a record player in my gymnasium when I taught elementary school until last year. One girl tripped over it, but called it a "radio" because she didn't know the word "record player". Another boy once looked at the 45's I used and asked me, Why do my CD's have such big holes?"

What is gone forever is the term to a bothersome child, "You remind me of a broken record!"

Em
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Admiral

How about 8 track players? Or even reel to reel players? We have both in my mom's basement! I have to agree with Kuki, manners have certainly disappeared also!

donna

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
salem5050

Somthing that hit me the other day...a real live milk shake, made with milk, ice cream, and syrup. Not one that you can not suck up the straw, and need a spoon to eat.

Mary Margaret
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Admiral

I have an 8 track player that still works and a bunch of old 8 tracks themselves. My amplifier is rigged so that I can play 8 tracks, LP records, cassetts or CD's.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Real buttermilk pancakes in diners.

Hard wired phones. If you don't have one, get one at the next garage sale or at the store and plug it in the kitchen or the spare bedroom. Those are the old phones that you only have to plug into the phone jack. Not the cordless ones. If you have a power outage they still work.

Steros that looked like furniture.

Black Light Posters: Maybe they're still around and I just don't hang with that crowd anymore.

Whistles in Cracker Jacks

Those are the things that came to the surface of a cloudy mind. Now all that comes to the surface is the word "chocolate". (Must be after effects from the black light poster period) :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Also gone are....
Ditto masters
carbon paper
typewriter erasers
pull handle adding machines

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM
First Mate

The best Italian restaurant in Augusta, Ga: Luigi's has the small juke boxes at each booth plays the 45's with artists such as Dean, Frank & the rest of the Rat Pack; Dorsey & the Big Band sounds. Its a great place.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

To add to this long list:
Big Boy hambergers
The old fashion soda fountain in the drug store. And the cute boy to flirt with.
Drive in Movies

Now I feel old..lol
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:40 AM
VTJen

A couple of weeks ago our wall mount phone in the kitchen died. We've had a terrible tirme trying to find a replacement. Like Mike said, they are going to be impossible to find pretty soon. We asked one store why they didn't have any and they said that they were only stocking cordless phones from now on. I think other stores are planning the same as many we went to only had a couple of models, usually big button ones for the elderly. We finally found one that had what we required - call waiting, caller id and an answering machine -- had to buy it in a bundle with a cordless.

VTJen
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Yeoman

I was talking to my 14 year old step-daughter about our plans for tomorrow. "We don't have any plans, we'll be twiddeling our thumbs". She said "what's twiddeling your thumbs mean?"

I'm miss the REAL prizes in cereal boxes! When I was 5 I got this cool mini-greenhouse complete with seeds etc. IF you get anything now, it's a dumb sticker.

Cruznut, wringer washing machine? What's that?
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Lynne &Trevor

One of our residents was still using a rotary phone just a couple of years ago. It was found when her apt was cleaned out when she had to be moved to the 24 hour skilled care side of our facility.
I still have several LPs,and 45s. When our stereo system was working, I could play the records to tape so I'd have selections I wanted. At work, my former boss bought a couple of "record players" that also includes a tape deck and a CD player. It's made by Crosley-another old name. I was so excited at the fact that perhaps I could record a song from an album to a CD. NOT. It has no capability to record. I was so disappointed. Thus far, I've used the record player part almost exclusively so I can play the albums-something my resident population is accustomed to hearing. The CDs are put into the stand alone CD player and tapes into the tape deck of the CD player. Lynne

Old January 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
booboo4031

Working for a telco.. let me say that only have a cordless phone is dangerous. In a power outage, you have no phone and in a robbery a cordless phone has a light indicator that you are using a phone... a hardwired phone will not do that if you need to call for help.

Now something else that has gone away.. recently my uncle passed away and he left his grandson his pocket watch (this kid is in h.s.) and he said to me that he had to have the battery changed because the watch didn't work! I said that he had to wind the watch up! He thought I was a lunatic!! After I showed him, he couldn't believe it when I told him that he would have to wind it every day <lol>

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: Things That Have Disappeared Without Our Notic

Oh, Hardee's is still around... they just made the news recently for rolling out a new burger, the "Monster Thickburger," which has 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat. :P

I was going to mention carbon paper.

A couple of years ago I went on several business trips to a military base. The control room had obviously not been updated since the 1960s - it was full of rotary-dial phones, reel-to-reel tapes for recording data, and the headset/microphone system was operated by foot pedal. The last time I went out there they had upgraded to a brand new control room and all the old stuff was gone - kind of sad, really.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Jack in the box resteraunts
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We learned about the hard wired phones during last summers hurricanes....were really glad that we had one!
Angela Z.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

1 pound cans of coffee. On Three Musketeer Candy bars they used to have indentations so you could break the bar into 3 pieces. Now thats dating myself!
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

"Big Boy hambergers"
"Drive in Movies"
---Sea Trekker

Big Boy restaraunts: We still have one left in my area. Which reminds me...I LOVE the seasoning salt from Big Boy. I better go stock on before its too late.
We also have one drive-in movie left too.
Although I'm sure it won't be long before they are both gone.

"Jack in the box resteraunts"
---schmitty

There are plenty of Jack in the Box restaraunts around here. However, if you are thinking about the big "jack in the box clown" part of the drive thru...those are definately gone.

"Ditto masters"

--- js2003

Do you mean mimeograph machines? Where you had to crank out the copies? In school we would love to smell the ink on the freshly copied papers. I was just talking about that the other day with my 19 yr old daughter and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

"How about 8 track players?"

---rollerdonna

I still have my 8 track player in my garage. Its old and dirty, but I about 6 months ago, I did get it to work. And would you believe the tape I had the BeeGees ? :-)

Post Edited (01-19-05 21:38)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Admiral

I have noticed that my feet seem to have dissappeared and I have to lean forward a bit to see them now. <>
Jim

Old January 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I was young there was a hamburger chain Massachusetts called Howdy Beef Burger. They are gone now along with their .15 cent burgers and real thick shakes. I remember driving to the one on Rt 1 in Saugus Ma. It was right next to the Valle's Steak House also part of a chain that is long gone. The oldest drive in theater in Ma was in Saugus and that is now a part of the past. I remember going there even in the winter and you could rent a heater for .25 cents. I live in NH now in Laconia and there is a drive in here at Weirs Beach that operates in the summer months only. We had an Arby's Roast Beef place here for a while but that has gone too are there others still in operation? They are tearing down a strip mall that has become an eyesore. It had a K-Mart that closed a few years ago. I remember a WT Grant being in there before the KMart.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain