Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Is a 15-night cruise too long???

Hi all,

Art and I have seriously been planning on booking the Cruisemates group cruise to Hawaii. In fact, this cruise was in our top 2 of next to do.

I just wonder that with 4 days at sea back and forth whether it will be too much? (I hate to fly, so that part is very attractive, though.) I've heard from a couple crew members that passengers can get kinda cranky by the 3rd day at sea.

Personally, Art and I love sea days -- we are big for reading by the pool, or just hanging out in the cabin reading or watching TV/movies. But again, I wonder whether 4 days at sea will be too much???

Finally, and you probably can't answer this for me, but I think I would get quite homesick for the puppy and just our home after 14 days. (Our longest cruise was in 2003 for 8 nights.)

Has anyone had similar concerns and can share their experiences?

Thanks in advance,
Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Is a 15-night cruise too long???

I've done an 11 day cruise with 5 consecutive sea days at the end of the cruise (in fact it was the Original Let's Get Lei'd cruise.) I could have done with a few more days on the cruise. I loved being able to relax after rushing around the islands for 8 days. I think the 4 days at the front of the cruise would give you the chance to relax and gear up for the islands; and the 4 days at the end of the cruise would give you a chance to relax and decompress and leisurely prepare for debarkation.

If I could get 15 days off of work next January I would be there!

Old January 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

We have had 2 longer cruises 16 and 14 days. Another 14 day coming up in Dec. We love them. You can get so comfortable and spoiled you won't want to get off the ship!! Wish we could do more of them, 10-11 days go so fast now, like the 7 day cruises we used to take. As long as you and Art enjoy sea days there shouldn't be any problems. And also being with the CMs there will always be something to keep you all busy. enjoy, go take a few pictures of Andy with you. Wish I could go too.

Jeanne
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

David & I have done a 14 dayer to South America and a 12 dayer to the Baltics. We've only been on one cruise with three days in a row at sea. We truly enjoyed these cruise adventures and used the extra down time as a way to learn how relax.

Yes you will miss the pupster though!
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Gary D.

i have sailed for 14 days at a time.. I sometimes wish the ship never pulled into a port... so go and enjoy the lifestye of days at sea.... eat , sleep, relax...stroll to area's of the ship you normally would not go to. Take the Galley tour, bridge tour.. do all the fun stuff you see them do on The Love Boat....enjoy... i know i do...Gary
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've been on a 7 night, 10 night, a 12 night and a 14 night cruise.....our next 14 nighter is this May. I could spend a month at sea!!

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Art,

IMHO I do not think we should let an animal control our lives. I love animals but lets face it they should not stand in our way to enjoy being away from home, in the case of the 15 days you were speaking about. I never get lonesone for being home. Yes we love cruising so much that we always look for the longer cruises. We have arranged our life, both financelial and physical, so we can be away for any given number of days. We have had several cruises in the past that were 72 days and less and never have we been lonesome. Just think of the ship as being your home for the duration. Enjoy the life style aboard the ship, being by yourselves and with old and new friends.

We have arranged for all our bills to be paid by our bank even credit cards. So nothing stands in our way of taking the long cruises. Hope you enjoy the Hawaii cruise because we did for 2 times now.

Hope this opinion helps you Art. We do not tend to give any disrespect on your feeling.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Art,
We have done a number of 14 & 15 day cruises and like them much better than the shorter ones of 7 days. Fly all that distance and the cruise is over before you know it.

Our last cruise we did a transatlantic and had to skip a port. We ended up with the last 6 days at sea. They were the best and went by so quick. Love those sea days. I don't think you and Art will have any problem. Let alone Kuki is always planning something if you wish to get involved, let alone ship activities.

We will be doing a 14 day to Hawaii in March 2006 R/T out of LAX, and really looking forward to the cruise and sea days.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Post Edited (01-18-05 18:45)

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

In regards to Andy - you will miss him more than he misses you, especially if he is with someone who loves and cares for him. I miss Gusto when I am gone for even 2 days, but I know he is with my Dad who is his best buddy - so I don't worry - and he always brings him to the airport if he picks me up!

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Is a 15-night cruise too long???

The longest cruises we've taken were transatlantics. Both Keith and I really enjoy consecutive days at sea. There's just nothing quite like it, unless the sea is very rough, but you won't have that problem with the Let's Get Leid cruise.

As for the dog, I think Ray is right. Don't let a pet stop you from traveling. We had a cat for many years and always boarded him. We found an excellent kennel and never worried about him. They even gave him his meds.

So go and enjoy!

Judy
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Harry, I think from what you said, that you would love a 15 day cruise. I say go for it if you can. I wish it was possible for my hubby to get the time off so that we could go too.

I understand about the dog issue. That's a real hard one, and I hope you can find someone that you are comfortable with to care for him while you cruise.

Phyll

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

The cruises that we have enjoyed the most have all been at least 14 days. On most of them we had many desirable port and sea days. Like Ray, we can leave for long cruises anytime we wish.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Harry... I've done the repositioning cruises to and from Hawaii several times, and not once have I found there's been too many sea days, nor ornary passengers. They always just fly by.

Because you don't like to fly, this is your perfect opportunity. You get to see and experience the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands, and enjoy the company and antics of a bunch of cruisemates.

And BESIDES we need a good guide for Ensenada!! <G>

Hope you and Art do decide to join us! Can assure you, it won't be boring!

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is a 15-night cruise too long???

I also say go for it! This is the best part..many sea days. As for the dog, he will be fine.I wanted to go on this one but my dh does not have the time.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Harry,
I don't think 15 days is too long. In regard to Andy, the pup. You know that our dog, Kramer is almost regarded as a human member of the family. However, if you have someone you trust to take care of Andy then by all means do it. We are lucky to have our daughter, son and my nephew to take care of the six million dollar dog so being away isn't too much of a problem. Now if I had the money I've put into him, I could afford to be away from him for 15 days. .

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Admiral

Harry: I would say "Go for it". You know how time flies when you are on a ship......
I agree with Mike about your dog. Find someone you trust to care for him. Sadie, our German Shepard, goes to "puppy camp" (boarding) and she loves it. She gets more excited about going there than I do about cruising (well, almost).

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Harry, this is like asking the choir if it's fun to sing. Of course we will all say go for it!

You will miss Andy, but as long as he is well taken care of, things will be fine. Bring a photo of him for your cabin.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Gosh everyone, I *really* appreciate all the input ... it really did make a difference. Gonna do the ifnal decision in the next day or so, but it looks good. (January is a dead time in real estate, normally).

And, with regard to the baby, Art's sister and brother in law stay here at the house with the baby, and they dote on him just as much. So thankfully, we have someone who watches him so he doesn't have to go to puppy jail.

I'm gonna print out all your answers for Art to read, too.

Thanks again!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
susancruzs

Definitely go for it, can't beat those relaxing sea days! I did a Panama Canal cruise that was 15 days with only 5 ports plus the canal, it was great!

I've enjoyed my Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises with all those sea days, you'll be fine! I vote for taking the picture along!

Susie
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM
SharB

Hi Harry!
We just returned from the 10 night Diamond Princess cruise. Boy, did we MISS the puppies!
Guess what? We got home and they were very happy to see us (just like every night after work) - then they asked where their Auntie Kimberly was....I believe they miss her more than us when she's gone. After all, the pet sitter spends "quality time" with them and we just put them back into their daily routine which is definitely not as much fun.

10 days on the Diamond was NOT enough. Coming back to work was a bummer..lucky me, I came down with bronchitis and ended up in bed for an additional week. Don't worry, the work waited for me. Doggies took good care of me, though. :o)

We are also considering this cruise - I can't imagine it being boring with the CM gang!!!

Shar

PS - Frank said to say "hi" and both Art and you did come up as a topic of conversation on our tour.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Happy Camper

I have done two 11 night cruises that have really been the highlight of our cruise experiences with one through the Panama Canal full transit and one from Honolulu to Vancover... It was so relaxing to get onboard and know you didnt' have to pack to leave for 11 nights! Loved it!!! Now as for the puppy well we just got our very first pet 3 months ago and she is a 3 year old bobtail cat. We LOVE her!!! So I can understand what you are saying. Will you miss the pup? YES! Will the pup miss you? YES!! But everyone needs a break and even from kids sometimes. So as long as you had someone looking after the puppy that you knew I would think it would be ok. I have been leaving my kitty at home alone on and off for the last few weeks - a few days at a time to get her used to us being gone for 5 days on our upcoming cruise. I will have a friend that has cats coming by to feed her and give her water but I wanted to get her used to us being gone and coming back so she will understand that we are coming back. Since you have someone staying there and loving your pet then you shouldn't have any problems at all. Have a wonderful cruise!!! And all those sea days are wonderful!!! Debbie
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Harry,

Heck no! I'd take a 30 day cruise if my hubby wouldn't divorce me! (he doesn't travel, so he's the one stuck at home)

I think a 15 day cruise would be perfect. You should go!

Mary

Old January 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Thanks again for the great input -- I'm much more confident now.

Shar, too neat to hear from Franck, and it would be so cool if you could come to Hawaii with Capt. Ron. We're planning on the mini-suite, because it came highly recommended in reviews, and we loved ours on the Diamond.

I should have everything wrapped up by the end of the week foir the cruise.

Thanks again, everyone.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!