Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Do you think some ships are jinxed from the start?

Following on from the tale of woe of the poor old Aurora that is now limping back to Southampton, do you think some ships are jinxed? I have copied below an article from the BBC News briefly listing all the troubles that this ship has suffered since its opening ceremony. Interesting reading:

Was Aurora doomed from the start?
A brief history of a ship which was hit by bad luck from the very start.

27 April 2000

In an elaborate opening ceremony, the Princess Royal christens the new 200m superliner Aurora at its home port of Southampton.

The Aurora was christened in a lavish ceremony in 2000

But the champagne bottle fails to smash - something sailors consider a bad omen.

2 May 2000

The Aurora breaks down just 18 hours into its maiden voyage and is forced to return to port.

14 May 2000

The ship undergoes repairs at a German shipyard before returning to Southampton.

11 March 2001

The P&O liner is involved in a dramatic rescue in the South China Sea - plucking 11 Russian sailors from the sea after their ship overturns.

The ship caused an international row when it docked in Gibraltar

1 November 2003

About 450 passengers are taken ill with a highly contagious stomach virus while on a cruise in the eastern Mediterranean.

3 November 2003

The ship is forced to sail to Gibraltar after being refused entry into Greece because of fears the passengers would spread the infection.

Spain follows Greece's example and seals its border with Gibraltar after the virus-hit ship docks in the colony - sparking an international row with Britain.

4 November 2003

Spanish riot police are brought in to back up border guards as hundreds of people are stopped from crossing into Spain.

Extra police and soldiers were brought in to seal the border

5 November 2003

The border only reopens when the ship departs from Gibraltar.

9 November 2003

The ship is disinfected and cleaned in Southampton before the next group of passengers embark for a three-day cruise of the Channel Islands.

9 January 2005

A scheduled 103-day round-the-world cruise is halted because of technical problems.

15 January 2005

The luxury cruise sails around the Isle of Wight to check repairs have been successful.

Passengers have paid up to 42,000 for the P&O cruise

19 January 2005

After several false starts the Aurora finally leaves on its world cruise - ten days late and with 385 fewer passengers who had lost patience with the delays.

20 January 2005

After just a few hours of its rescheduled voyage P&O are forced to admit defeat and turn back.

The ship turns back to Southampton after repairs to the propulsion motor proved unsuccessful.

P&O said passengers would be refunded their full fare and receive a "cruise credit".
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
PapBill

Default Re: Do you think some ships are jinxed from the start?

Ok, I just want to make it clear to everyone, THIS ONE IS NOT MY FAULT. Unlike my posting from several weeks ago , I have not sailed on (or contemplated sailing on)
the Aurora.
I find the number of modern ships with propulsin system problems to be interesting. Celebrity is constantly drydocking its' M class ships with pod and pod bearing issues, Carnival has documented propulsion isssues with one of its ship classes I believe, Princess (P&O) seems to have issues as well. Maybe ships should ditch the new technology and go back to shafts with propellers on the end. A little vibration would be better than all the cancelled cruises. Maybe steem engines and paddle wheels would work better?
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Whewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!1 PB i just knew you had slipped in a cruise on us, but I am so glad that you were not on board this one. ROFL...and to answer your question kimmie..YES..just ask PapaBill...

Old January 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
venice

Kimmiegirl..very interesting research..you have far too much time on your hands (smile)..I think if I were thinkng about cruising, I would avoid this ship for awhile..however, if they offered an obscene low rate, I would go in a second
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Call me crazy, but I think the Titanic was jinxed from the start.
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Lynne &Trevor

The Titanic might have been jinxed but I tend to blame her end more on the idiot who wanted the Capt. to speed ahead at any cost so the Ship could dock in NY a day early and surprise everyone. I know, the lack of lifeboats for everyone was an issue, but that was a cost cutting measure, which I'm sure was ordered by upper management to cut costs. It was a freak rip at the wrong point from the iceburg but if the Ship had been going slower it wouldn't have reached that location when it did. (However, I didn't watch the current Titanic blockbuster BEFORE my first cruise!) Some ships like the Aurora and Titanic don't have any luck! Lynne