Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default The Blizzard of 78

While it snows like the devil outside, it sure brings back memories of that terrible snowstorm we had in the northeast...In the Boston area, people an cars were buried for many ,many miles on rte 128, a MAJOR highway ! My daughter Nikki, was 5 months old, and I needed to walk to the store to get Pampers My door blew in, it would not stay shut, I lost my heat. With 3 small kids, it was frustrating..It took Bruce hrs. to get home from Boston..
The area also had major high tides, flooding and thunder, all at the same time.The National Guard,were the only ones allowed out, other than emergency vehicles..special passes were needed for others.Once the stores opened the super markets were deluged..sleds were used to get groceries home..This went on for about 4 days or so..The one thing that everyone remembers about this, the willingness of neighbor to help neighbor..once we got down to the pavement, it was gone..For a brief moment though, it sure felt good..Where were you during the Blizzard of 78?

Post Edited (01-23-05 14:59)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: The Blizzard of 78

In WI, far far away from the maddening snow. We had been living just outside of Boston a few years before that and we were glad to miss the big one.

Take it easy in all that mess you are dealing with Trip, and stay safe. My sister is going to have to dig out from 20-30 inches down on the Cape where it "never snows".

Phyll

Post Edited (01-23-05 09:33)
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
SarahJ

I wasn't alive in 1978.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I was driving home from Delaware. Got to the bridge to enter NY and it was closed as were all the roads leading into the city. Stayed with friends in NJ till the next day and then it took like 10 hours to get home. Southern State Parkway was closed so I used all secondary roads and just wouldn't stop. Was driving a 1956 Buick, that thing was like a tank, it just went thru it all. Sure hope I never see a storm like that one again. Matter of fact, hoping this is the last snow storm I have to deal with. Florida can't come soon enough.

Carnival Glory
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I was in Trenton, NJ needing to get back to college in Washington DC but the trains weren't running so I got an extra day or two at home with mom and dad.
Angela Z.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
cruisinKandJ.

At that point, I had been married for five years and living in sunny SouthernCalifornia. It probably snowed like everything in Minnesota at that time, too, but I don't recall it being anything special. It always snowed in Minnesota in the winter!

Judy
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Beginner

We were in Michigan at the time. I was with my family celebrating Christmas. We were the last flight out heading back home to Florida. I was a small chil but remember that well.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Trip,

We had a blizzard in Atlanta in 1993, where we had thunder and tornados all at the same time. Most of the snow however, was piled up on the sides of everyones houses and not much on the ground, because of the winds.

Now in the big black out a couple of summers ago. We experienced the neighbour helping neighbour phenomena. Most people had huge block parties where we all gathered together with our grills and spent that time cooking all of the food that was in the freezers, to prevent ourselves from losing everything. Fortunately, it got all of the neighbours to meet each other and although there have not been any block parties since, it has made for a much closer knit neighbourhood.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
venice

I don't know where I was in the blizzard of 1978, but I do remember where I was in the bliizard of 1970. I was in college in upstate New York right on one of the great lakes and it snowed 60 inches in two days and because of the wind chill it was almost -30 below zero...at that time dorms were still separated by sex and in the men's dorm that I lived in the furnace broke so they had to move us into a newly finished woman's dorm which was only half filled...it was GREAT...it took the housing staff three days after the storm to get the men back to our dorm..ah the fun part of a snowstorm
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

I was stationed at Ft. Riley, Kansas. My dad sent me a picture of hime peeking over the top of a snow drift next to our driveway. We lived NW of Chicago at that time.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

It was my senior year in high school and the blizzard hit right before my 18th birthday. I remember that anyone who had a snowmobile volunteered to go around and see if anyone needed groceries or medicine from the pharmacy. I will also always remember the walls of snow once the plows got through and still having big mounds of snow in the parking lots well into April. As mentioned above, it was nice to have a "community of friends" even if it was short lived. (I live in Northeast Indiana)
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evelyn Richardon

Default Re: Re: The Blizzard of 78

I was living in Pembroke MA, had only been in the USA for a couple of months, the weather expert (Dr Fred)told us "it will only be 4 inches"!!!!!! He never appeared on TV again
My Husband worked in Weymouth, took him 5 hours to drive about 17 miles. He turned into our street, and realised he could not see any houses at all, then saw a small glow (I had switched on every light in the house and the drive lights), he also saw a small figure hard at work in fierce wind shovelling snow as hard as it could at bottome of drive, and as he said later "I knew it had to be you"
My daughter who lives here in Pt Charlotte has just informed me that on the TV they are saying that this storm is "worse than the storm of 78"

My thoughts are with every one "up North"
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

I seem to remember 70-71 being proclaimed "The Winter of the Century" by a local radio station in Montreal. We have a certificate in my mom's basement proclaiming that our family "survived the winter of the century". I remember LOTS of snow, and having to use cross-country skis, snowshoes, or a snowmobile to get to the store for supplies.
Haven't seen snow that bad since!

donna

Post Edited (01-23-05 21:13)
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The weatherman in Boston, on channel 7, just mentioned, this is the highest measurement of snow in downtown Boston since 78..It's still howling out there..My son came over to plow out the driveway,[what a nice man,] BUT Bruce had to go out to help, even with his knee.{oy]

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Yeoman

Trip,
I was in the western part of Mass. at college. My roomate and I went about on crosscountry skis. Since most of us lived on campus, the staff found rooms available and we still had classes but it was alot of fun as most of the rest of the state was in a world of hurt. I remember it all too well and that is one reason why we live in Fl now!!!
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Well, I have never lived in the east, but I sure remember the blizzard of '67 in Flagstaff, Arizona, where I grew up. We had 83" of snow! That's 1" less than 7 feet! So you can imagine the drifts on the sides of the roads where they piled the snow which they had plowed from the middle of the street!

Everyone was up on their roofs shoveling snow off to the ground so that the roofs wouldn't cave in. The Super X drug store DID cave in.

They had to fly out over the Navajo reservation and air drop supplies to those in remote areas. Even the trains were down for several days until they could get the tracks cleared.

The downside of such an exciting time for us kids was that the blizzard started on the last day of school before Christmas vacation and we didn't have even one snow day off of school! Bummer!

Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
booboo4031

I live in NH and I was actually kind of bummed the blizzard of '78 because we only missed 1 day of school Our superintendent of schools said that streets have been plowed, this is nh.... live with it!

Right now we have 26" in the backyard. The snow has stopped for the most part and I just came in. The city has been pretty much plowed so I guess life is going to go on as usual. Geez! How much do we need to get around here to be snowed in for a few days??? <gr>

Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Passenger

We lived in a mobile home at the time. Married a year and a half. Went to bed with it pouring down rain & I woke up to go to work in the early am with the blizzard. Woke dh up and said I don't think I have to go in. Called the boss and he said "Stay home!" The drifts were as high as the tops of the trailers.

DH was a police officer at the time. Someone picked him up at the end of the street on a snowmobile. The dog & I made it to mom & dad's after a day. My brother came and got us. Hubby and another officer stayed at our place, eating meals at my mom's. They spent their shifts delivering diapers, formula, milk etc to people that needed it.

There were a lot of babies born 9 months after the blizzard.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Admiral

I was standing in the middle of McBee and Church Streets in Greenville SC watching and waiting for the cars to crash at the intersection or go sliding down the hill and was trying to stop them before they did. Huge flakes even that far south and I think we got 6-8 inches which for that area was huge. <G>
Bring to mind all thos days in my youth growin gup in Mass when it seemed common to have blizzards and 6" plus of snow and even a foot or two or better were not that uncommon as I remember. Of course I was a lot shorter then so it didn't take much to come up to my knees or waist either! <> I distinctly remember coming home from school on the bus and seeing the snow actually being plowed with the door that stuck out at an angle so that was pretty deep. Hope you folks up there in the winter wonderland remain safe.
Jim in sunny but still cold Florida

Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

i wasnt alive but ive herad many stories from my mom and family members
my uncle had to walk thorugh 2 cities to bring my mom gloves and winter clothes to her work and then walked home with her. they walked on the highway over cars that had bodies in them.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

My family and I were in California, but my husband and his family were in Rhode Island... they have some amazing pictures!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I was traveling by car across the U.S. in the middle of the storm. I was in college in Missouri and a friend of mine from high school was in Iowa. We were headed home to North Carolina for winter break and he had his girlfriend with him who he was taking to D.C. first.

The three of us were driving in the tracks of an 18-wheeler who we followed wherever he went. It was so bad the snow plows were unable to get out to plow the interstates. When the 18 wheeler pulled off to get gas we went also. We knew if we ever got away from the tractor-trailer truck we would be stuck on the side of the road with the thousands of other cars. We never exceeded 15 mph.

Under normal conditions the trip would take 12-14 hours, but this trip took 36 hours. We had to switch drivers while moving to take turns sleeping because we could not leave the tracks of the 18 wheeler.

Once we got to D.C. and dropped her off at her parent's house we headed south to N.C. and once we got past the border we were able to resume a normal speed.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Lynne &Trevor

In the Blizzard of '77 and '78, my husband and I were had traveled east to Orchard Park, New York from Omaha Nebraska, where we were stationed with the Air Force.(Offutt).The entire midwest and east were sub-zero temps and driving cross country with an 8 year old and a 6 year old in a 2 passenger sports car was not fun. Anyway, what I remembered about the visit was how hard and constantly the snow kept falling. On one occasion, we were going to try to go to the movies. We shoveled the driveway which was pretty far in from the main highway (US 20) and by the time we went to leave an hour later, the driveway was impassable.About another foot of snow had fallen. The house where my parents lived in Orchard Park, was in the snow belt south of Buffalo.It was the lake effect snow that wouldn't stop. Of course, Buffalo also had the high snow in the city and the problems surrounding that. It was not too much after that blizzard season that a board came was introduced called "The Blizzard of '77". We actually bought one and played it!! Lynne

Old January 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: The Blizzard of 78

Lynne, how long were you at Offutt? I was born there in March '77. We moved shortly afterwards. My dad was a B-52 navigator.

Cheers,
Michelle P.