Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default How do you get through the week before a cruise?

Help! I can't concentrate on anything today. I'm too busy daydreaming about my cruise... and looking up stuff about it. It's a short one and I've been on it before, but I just can't help myself from getting excited about it. And it's only Monday - the rest of the week will be worse!

How do you manage the anticipation the week before you leave on a cruise?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: How do you get through the week before a cruise?

I find grabbing EVERYONE I see, and making them listen to me about the upcoming cruise helps alot

Post Edited (01-24-05 12:26)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Are these people that you know or are they just any unsuspecting passerby, Trip? Sorry but I had to laugh at that. Of course if yuo did that to me, I would run home and pack in order to go with you.

Old January 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: How do you get through the week before a cruise?

Trip, I laughed, too! But to answer the question, there's always the boring gotta-do stuff that takes up some time. There's good ol' television, and then there's just plain giving into the anticipation. I've already read another review about the Diamond, had my DH read it, and we're not cruising til March!

Judy
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Did you say something? <G>

Oh yeah!!! I can't wait 'till Friday!

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Admiral

the week befores are a crazy time. I check and double check my lists, make sure that i have everything, if i don't then its a run to the store. I re-check my packing maybe make a few changes. Do all the required boring stuff like stopping the mail, stopping the paper. Use up the perishables in the fridge, do laundry. Check the documents, read up on the islands, visit CruiseMates
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Gary D.

Michelle P.
I find that one of most joyful times is the week before the sailing. It's like Christmas eve, and being a child. All that wondrful anticipation. And what fun the internet can be to help build the excitement level. Seeing all those gloriouse images of ship and shore. I never leave home without a brochure or two in my duffle bag to flip through for the 10 millionth time at variouse times throughout the day. On my nightstand i keep a portfolio of sorts, filled with all types of crusie related materiels; past and present. No matter how busy i am, I try to read through it, or watch one of many cruise related videos i have from generouse travel agents... ,so i say surrender to the maddnes, you'll be happier for it!!!!
Old January 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I just keep repacking my suitcase during the last week, time after time after time. Kim and I pack separately about 2 weeks before leaving and, once packed, she changes nothing at all. I, on the other hand, constantly add things and extract things as the spirit moves me. Believe me, it really fills the final week with make-work activity. The downside is, it's kinda tough for me to stop doing so when we're finally ready to head for the port. Bummer!

Have a great cruise, Michelle. I learned just a week ago that my brother Joe, his wife and a couple of friends will be on the ship with you guys. We thought about joining them, but we couldn't get away. They're going with a group from Ft. Myers. Bon voyage!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
DENISE H

get your passport out of the bank
do everything on your list
go to cruisemate and chat with everyone
make sure you can get every thing in your bag

i hope you have a good trip
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I am usually so busy at work that last week that I am actually wishing I had another day. Last time, I flew home Thursday night, did laundry, pack, and we were at the airport early Friday morning. No chance to daydream about the cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I don't start packing until 2-3 days before we go.I know that several of you have been on many cruises and basically know what to take. We've been on 5 and basically know what we will take! When I worked for the American Red Cross and went to disaster sites, I had to pack for a 3 week assignment. I still pack the same way, even if it's for only a week! The suitcase is packed with "what ifs". What if it's chilly-a couple of sweaters and slacks. Always extra socks and undies, mix and match outfits, my music stuff, books, crossword puzzles. But, it's not me that the double checking is for. Even if I've let Trevor pack for himself, there's always things missing-like the bathing trunks!
We generally have our docs and paperwork all together and in a place to find, like the zippered pocket of the suitcase, or better still, in my carry on bag-a week ahead of time.

Countdown during the week goes according to the TV shows on that we watch each night, or my choir practice or his poker game, and, of course, our work schedule.Since we live 2!/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale, we can choose to get off a little early to drive down the day before to be there Saturday. Or, we can just drive down Saturday morning and save ourselves the expense of a motel room and meals.

Having said all that, my friend and his wife just went on their first cruise in Dec, and packed the day before. They had a wonderful time!! Since they both work, and the week went quickly, they didn't have time to think about all the "extras". Lynne

Old January 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Get out all photos of past cruises, read every reveiw that I can find on the ship and the ports that the ship is going to. Never pack until the day before.

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

Hi all. I am fairly new to this board but have found the information invaluable. I just wanted to vent a little as my cruise is next Wed. We planned it in barely a month because we just needed to get the heck outta here. (especially now more than ever as we live in Chicago and it is a little cold and snowy) I am so stressed trying to get things ready and I have to work all week, I don't have time to do anything. I am actually going out of town on Thur-Sat on business then work till Tuesday and leave Wed. I have no time to even breathe right now.

Anyways... now that I got that off my chest.... thanks for all the info on this message board.

Matt

Carnival Fantasy- February 3,2005
Carnival Holiday February 2004
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Yeoman

I pack and unpack and check my list and pack and unpack and study maps and pack and unpack and check my list. . . . Heck! I have about 10 WEEKS until my next cruise and I've already started packing! Shopping really helps me pass the time when I'm not busy working (yes, I'm a woman). That's ok, I'm also the bread winner.

How can you wait to pack until the week before the cruise?? I would forget half the stuff! I'm one of those people that will grab the "xyz" that I haven't used in over a year "just in case I need it on the cruise".

OK, I'm sick.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Passenger

I booked my May to Alaska cruise 9 months out and I hope I never (notice I said "hope"..if I get the chance I will book anytime!) do this again! I have bought 3 different sets of wardrobes.I now have to decide which clothes to actually take.Oh wait...Im sure some of the new spring items will work for Alaska..and the styles could change by then..I dont have a need for hats/gloves/scarves that often in Houston,but so far I think I have about 6 new sets.Luckily (or unlucky) I work in a dept store and can get great buys.And I stil have to get thru the final clearance (75% off) thats coming up this next week...my 25% discount on top of this..hard to pass up..I need a couple more closets..
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Michelle--i'm already daydreaming and not consontrating on stuff and i've still got 6 mos + to go! lol
i've got it BAD! lol

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
First Mate

I'm a completely FREAK before I go. By the time I leave my boss and co-workers are so, so ready to get rid of me!

I get out my old cruise pics and former daily news sheet and go over everything, try my clothes on a million times to make sure they fit and generally can't sleep because I'm so keyed up!

YOU are going to have so much fun!

Mary

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Happy Camper

Try on clothes - the formal stuff, shop, watch Speed 2 movie and TItanic and old cruise videos we have made. Oh the usual and still I'm on this board at work - watching over my shoulder for my boss!!!! hahaha Can't wait - we leave Saturday on the Ecstasy.. Debbie
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Passenger

I agree with GaryD.....The week before is like Christmas Eve.....I know I drove my DW crazy with all my checklists and shore excursion plans.
Have a great cruise Michelle!
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe the Cruise King

The week before the cruise I get all of my homework for the week done and scare the crap out of my classmates because i'm so excited!!!!! We sail in May and i am already packed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! usualy we stay on the 1rst floor and this time i'm am on 6th floor. woohoo.
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM
cy2cruise

Hi, I'm new to the board, I have 4 weeks left until our cruise. My husband ears are on overload from all my research on ports, excursions, studying the ship etc. and my poor children are telling me they don't want to hear me say one more time that I'm going on a vacation. What they don't know - they are coming with us. My DH thinks we should wait until valentine's day to tell them. They are younger teens, I can still pack for them. They know somethings up, but I keep throwing them off the scent. They will be very distracted when they find out (like their mother) but it will still give them time to adjust. My lists are hidden. I'm sorting through outgrow clothes, they think for the reason I'm taking it to a local charity, which helps me pack and spring clean my house at the same time.
I am so bursting with joy. Our first cruise was Feb-04. I came home and started dreaming about the next cruise. Shopping helps because I am actually buying for the cruise, i keep telling my DH that I would need to buy these things for the children anyway in the spring, its just getting it done earlier, poor guy.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Passenger

cy2cruise: That is neat that you are surprising your kids! My kids probably wish that I would surprise them instead of talk and talk and talk about our cruise we are planning for the family in June of 2006. They are already tired of hearing it! Oh well, I am having too much fun. They also have to listen to me talk about the cruise mMy husband and I are going on 2/14 on the CarnivalParadise. Can't wait!