Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM
haymel

Default Anyone Missed the ship?

My wife and I were to be on our first cruise this week. Instead we're at home in 20 degree weather and out $1500. At the time of booking no one said to go the day before. Travelocity didn't explain that the insurance covered flight cancellations due to weather.

Due to the huge snow storm in Milwaukee we didn't make it out of the airport and missed the ship in Fort Lauderdale. I contacted Midwest days prior to our departure date about getting out the day before and they said I couldn't and wait until I was within 24hrs of my departure. I did and then they said all the flights were full and not to worry because the airport is use to weather problems. Even with the high wind advisories. We were at the airport from 6:45am til 4:30pm and ended up driving 2 hrs home that night.

I contacted Travelocity, which I would strongly not recommend anyone use, prior/during/after this nightmare and they were absolutely no help. Once they have your money, forget about customer service and/or help.

Midwest wasn't much better. They gave us a credit for the tickets but beyond that, nothing.

I'm finding out now, which isn't going to help my current situation, that you should get there the day before and purchase the insurance.

Has anyone gone through this situation and if so what has the cruise line done for you?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Anyone Missed the ship?

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I wish things could have been different for you, and that you had a travel agent , that was willing to take the time to inform you of all the nuances about insurance etc....A very hard, sad lesson learned, that I am sure will never happen to you again...I feel so bad...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Captain

I believe I read a situation similar to this on the Royal Carib. board a earlier this month and I think the guy ended up getting a credit thru Roy. Carib. Maybe you can look over that board and see if you can find it.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. Hopefully you can get some kind of refund through the cruise line itself. Good luck.

Cheryl C.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Since this was such a huge storm that effected so many parts of the states, you might be able to get something from the cruise line. Call them directly, ask to speak to someone in customer relations, you don't want a reservations clerk.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
VTJen

Sorry you missed the boat. I hope you can get some of your money back. I have only bought the insurance once, but I do alwa ys try and fly the day before.

VTJen
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
cruisinKandJ.

While I am sorry for your misfortune, I am glad you posted here. Perhaps other first-time cruisers will read it and take it to heart. Everyone needs a travel agent who can clue them in on the need for insurance, traveling at least a day before the ship sails, and getting a passport, all this regardless of whether the trip is on land or on sea.

Judy
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
DENISE H

i,ms so sorry you miss your trip next time go throu travel agent we had the best
travel agent we get a good price for the cruise,they gave a good price on a charter
fight to miami that only carried people who were going on a cruise, we get transfer
back and forth to the port they help use with everything i hope this helps you
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evelyn Richardon

Your experieince must have been very distressing , hope you get some help from someone.

I have been worrying myself over a flight I have to make in May, a) booked through cruise line on an air line that is going belly up, b) Have only 45 mins to get from Domestic Terminal to International Terminal at Philly,

Yes I am going day before and yes I do have Ins. but so far the cruise line air dept, "cannot understand the problem, 45 mins is enough time between gates"
they suggest I pay extra in order to get another air line at times I feel comforatable with!
Air Line and other posters have suggested I ask for an electric cart to meet me at Philly, which I have done. - and I can only hope.

I feel that too many "agents" (TA's and air reservation agents)do not travel themselves, they just sit at the computer , push the "mouse" and mindlessly let the machine do the maths.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:40 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Anyone Missed the ship?

If the flights are on the same airline (and it sounds like they're both on USAir), and they're written as a single "ticket" (even though you're ticketless), it means that the connection is deemed a "legal" connection. This means that if your inbound is late, or if despite your good faith efforts you don't get to the outbound gate in time, they'll rebook you out at no charge. If it is going to be tight, it is important to inform an agent (usually the one with the clipboard as you get off the plane, who's directing everyone to their connecting gates) that you're tight, and to please inform the outbound gate that you're here and on your way. The electric cart is also a good idea.

All this, plus the fact that you're a day early, should pretty much cover the bases. I wouldn't be too upset. USAir has reached agreements with all of its labor unions now, so it looks like they have at least a reprieve, and may actually hang on by their fingernails and survive.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

i'm so sorry for you, what a shame. I'm sorry to say that most airlines will not touch a claim for refund or anything if it is weather related. (I know I work for one!) It is great that you've been given credit. I am also sorry to say that travelocity, along with others are just a nightmare, I've had the misfortune of dealing with them several times.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM
haymel

Thanks for all the notes.

My Airline was Midwest to answer AR's message above. My major complaint with Midwest isn't about the day of the snow storm, as I know no one is to blame except mother-nature. It's that we inquired about getting out the day before, we were never told we could fly stand by, never told we should try a different airlines to get out the day before. We were told both times we contacted Midwest days prior that all their flight we full and not to worry. We could have driven if we would have known we could loss the entire cost of the cruise due to flight cancellations.

So far I have only been told to submit a letter to Princess Cruises and it's reviewed on a case by case basis. I hope that they see that we made a huge effort to make it but things just didn't work out. I went with Princess because I was told that they take care of their customers. We'll see and I'll let everyone know once I hear from them.

Thanks again,
Chad
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Was your problem resolved?
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
haymel

Default Re: Re: Anyone Missed the ship?

Hello everyone .

Just wanted to give you all an update on my situation.

I have sent and received a return letter from Princess and Travelocity. Both said that they are unwilling to do any thing for us and point the finger at each other in there letters. Princess and Travelocity offered no refund nor did they try and offer us a discount on a future trip. Apparently they have enough business that they could care less about keeping customers.

Midwest refunded our money with very little resistance. That's customer service and a company that wants to keep our future business!

We're planning on going on a vacation either to Hawaii or some other island in the near future. No cruises after this chapter in our traveling life.

Take care and good luck to you all in your traveling adventures.