Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:12 AM
VTJen

Default Report on the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT

It is a chilly 16 degrees this morning. We picked up a couple more inches of snow yesterday.

Review of Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe:

It was windy and snowy in Stowe. We were at the Von Trapp Cross Country part of their resort - it was very, very nice. Many beautiful trails - well maintained and marked. The facilities there include a very nice warm-up lodge and giftshop, ski/snowshoe rentals and waxing - two very nice fireplaces. Many families out enjoying the day, plus it was able to handle the State race for Division 1 and 2 schools, before we got there they had a race for several are universities. Plenty of parking and room for all.

I think in the summer they have a concert series on the grass at the Von Trapp Family Lodge - Mozart maybe. I can't recall the details. I've always wanted to take that in.

The other condos and lodges we drove by all looked very, nice - amazing views of the hills. I'm anxious to go back in either the spring or summer - I'm sure it will be equally beautiful. I saw they had an Austrian Tea House - I'd love to check that out too. There are some many things to see and do in the Stowe, Vermont area. I would urge any of you who have wondered about going to the Von Trapp Lodge, to do so. When we go to Stowe, we like to sneak down to the Cabot Cheese store - free samples of about every cheese they make, plus many other different products, the other half of the shop is Champlain Chocolates - which are very decadent. Beneath these two is a Vermont Teddy Bear Shop - you can make your own bear and dress them. If you've never heard about Vermont Teddy Bears - you can check there website. I love their white angel bear - it is vanilla fur - with slight sparkles - in a beautiful white dress with feathered wings and a beautiful halo. I've given two of those for gifts - one two the girl we had as part of the German Exchange my daughter participated in. While she was at our house here grandmother passed away. Very sad. The other I sent to my nephew for my grandniece when she got home from the hospital - she was born 3 months premature.

They also have Cold Hollow Cider Mill - another great visitor spot. You can see them press the apples, and of course sample cider and all kinds of products. For a couple of bucks you can participate in their wine tasting - some very nice and different types of wine. Many other nice shops and such, very nice places to stay. Also very close to Ben & Jerry's - another great place for fun and samples. In the fall, with the leaf changes it is truly glorious. Plus if any of you cruisemates venture to visit - I could always arrange to meet you for lunch or tea or something as it is only an hour and a half from me.

My son did really well in the race, for only his second year on cross country skis. He came in 21 for Division 1 schools in the State and in the low 30 for the over all race (about 165 skiers). His relay team came in fourth. He was a little disappointed he wanted to be in the t o 20 and he missed it by 1 second. Oh well, one more season. On Wednesday is the finish to the state meet - this is the classic (yesterday was skate skiing). I'm sure then my son will be starting to train for his track season and will start running, and of course will try and get in as much down hill skiing as possible.

I was reunited with my puppy. He's been at my mom's house as it would have been too much trying to keep up with him. I'm so glad to have him home at last. He seems to miss the dogs at my mother's a bit, but seems glad to be back and having fun with all his toys.

Yesterday was a long day, and I probably overdid, but I'll rest a lot today.
I need to try and come up with a Valentine for my husband, but it is hard with no transportation (neck is still to stiff to try and drive, safely [can't really turn it very quickly to check mirrors]).

Hope that you all want to come to Vermont to visit some time, as I'd love to meet some of you Mates!

VTJen
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Report on the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT

Nice report Jen, and since I am so close, I just might take you up on that offer sometime! James and I could really use a weekend away.
Now you take it easy today, you hear?

donna

Old February 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Jen. I've been to Vermont, but never to the Von Trapp Lodge. It sounds like a place I have to put on my to do list. I think I'd enjoy it a lot more in the summer or warmer times of the year.

I'm glad to hear of your son's success also. I admire anyone who gets out and does that kind of stuff. I was born with an excess of couch potato genes. :-) He's a champion for just getting out there and putting his heart into it.

Phyll

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Thanks for the great report VTJen.....sounds like you did too much though!
Angela Z.