Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Ugh - annoyed at my travel agent!

So, I made our cruise booking on Saturday (online). I put Mark's name as the first name on the booking but the billing information was all in my name. There was a space for "past passenger number." I put in Mark's Carnival past guest number.

Today I got a call from the travel agent. The booking had not been accepted by Carnival because the past guest number I entered was Mark's and not mine... somehow my name got put first on the booking. So, because Carnival didn't accept the reservation until today, the price went up by $20 per person.

I double-checked that they could not honor the price from Saturday and she said no. I went ahead and accepted the higher price for a couple of reasons, but I'm surprised they wouldn't honor the price from Saturday. She said it was because the price went up with Carnival and they were the ones who rejected the booking.

Does this sound right to you? I would have thought they'd have given me the same price I reserved even though the booking was messed up somehow.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ugh - annoyed at my travel agent!

Somehow I have my doubts. Sure, the prices fluctuate daily but just because you changed the past guest number? hmmmm.....................sumding don smell goot in mickey land!

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Could the extra $20 be the TA's agency fee that you didn't pay by booking online? Our TA puts that on a separate charge that shows it going to her agency rather than the cruise line.

Volendam Panama Canal Repo
Statendam to Hawaii 2004
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

They should have honored the price they quoted you. You paid for it and they accepted it. The fact that they could not get it through the cruiseline should be on no consequence. At least that is how "I" feel it should have been handled. Maybe check with another agency and see what kind of pricing they can give you and change if it is worth it to you. (That also lets this agent know you will not accept being treated in this manner)
Jim

Old February 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

i am a bit confused here, did you book direct on line with Carnival and the agent you are talking about is a Carnival agent or did you use a travel agency?
Speaking as a former TA, any reputable TA woud absorb that small amount and chock it up to a clerical error.

Mary L - i hate to be the bearer of bad news but most TA's do not charge a fee for their services
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Ugh - annoyed at my travel agent!

I booked through the travel agent, not through Carnival.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Lisa I was just about to say the same..what charge???

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Admiral

I just wrote them an e-mail. I did a check on the website and if you look up that particular cabin level (guarantee) on that date, you get a price quote of the cheaper price - the one I reserved on Saturday. I agree, something's fishy. I requested that they credit my outstanding balance by $40 and stated why - we'll see what happens.

We have their credit card (which probably gives away who the agency is) and are halfway to cashing in our rewards on a cruise, so I'll probably use them once more for that reward cruise but not again. Customer service is worth more than that.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

I would drop my booking and go somewhere else.....

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:17 PM
susancruzs

Hmm, seems very, very fishy to me, too! I think I'd cancel and take my business some place else!

Susie
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Passenger

I'm a little confused and I hope I don't come across poorly. I don't mean to be sarcastic.

You said you booked on line and it appears that you are filling out a form or something i.e "There was a space for Past.........you put in Mark's number..". You put Mark's name first and the billing in yours and somehow, yours ended up first..........

If you filled out the data mixing up the names & number, how is the TA responsible?? You also said that Carnival DID NOT ACCEPT the application so they never agreed to the earlier price. It was rejected, not agreed upon.

I understand the dissappointment at the higher price but I don't understand the TA's involvment.

Firgive me if I sound blunt.

Bibb

"Keep your face into the sun and you can't see the shadows" - Helen Keller.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Admiral

There are fields on the reservation for "Passenger 1" and "Passenger 2." I put my husband's name in the "Passenger 1" field and mine in the "Passenger 2" field.

After that there is a section for billing information and I put in my information.

Then there is a section for "Passenger Preferences" including dining information, special requests, and past guest number. There is only one past guest field.

It just isn't clear to me from looking at the form whose past guest number should be put there. I figured it was "Passenger 1," and that's who's number I put. (To me, billing information is completely separate from passenger information.) I see now that I should have put mine, but that certainly wasn't clear. And maybe this complaint is with Carnival, but why should that matter in making the reservation, anyway?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Got an e-mail response from the TA.

The rate are incorrect on the site - I don't know why but I am trying to find out with tech support.
Today I called Carnival and the rate is no longer the $290 p/p I confirmed your cabin at - it is $300 p/p now. I have requested for the prices to be blocked out from the system as they are not correct.
Anyone who may request this category will receive a call from me. I also called your friends and they agreed to the $290 p/p rate. Sorry for the confusion.

I sent the e-mail to my husband and he wrote me something to send back to her:

While I accept your apology for the confusion, I ask that you either bill me the posted rate or cancel my reservation without penalty.

While the rate may have been incorrect on the site I firmly believe you have an obligation to honor it.

My records will show that I have booked many cruises with ***and hold an *** credit card. I also have referred *** on many occasions, including this specific cruise, as you are well aware.

Again, I ask that you honor the posted rate or cancel my reservation without penalty. Isnít my *** brand loyalty worth it?

(The ***s are where the travel agency's name appears.)

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to send it... just too much trouble... anyone have any input?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Definitely send it, Michelle. They shouldn't be able to get away with a bait and switch. And what exactly does this mean:

"I also called your friends and they agreed to the $290 p/p rate."

It implies to me that your friends will GET the $290 p/p rate. (Or was the rate that you saw online $270?)

As a very loyal customer of ***, they should do everything possible to keep your business. If they can't be bothered, then you shouldn't be either.

If the Imagination is your ship for this booking, then you're way out from any penalty period with your clock showing 79 days.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send it Michelle. What they are doing is not right and they know it. It is the price you both agreed to and they are supposed to sell it to you at that price, period.
Jim

Old February 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Michelle,

I understand things now and appologize for questioning you. The TA's email says he/she confirmed your booking at the posted price. Send the email.

I hope you get it settled in your favor without having to cancel and rebook.

Bibb

"Keep your face into the sun and you can't see the shadows" - Helen Keller.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Yep! Send it! I know you'll have a great cruise no matter what happens, but this must leave a bad taste in your mouth concerning your TA.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I sent the e-mail and they refused to cancel without charging a cancellation fee plus processing fee. Mark took over and is dealing with it now. He is refusing to back down and they are refusing to back down. We'll probably end up disputing the charges with our credit card. Ugh!

The moral is: don't use the big online travel agency with its own credit card. The credit card rewards are not worth the lack of ethics and customer service.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (02-16-05 07:53)

Old February 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Admiral

arrgh, i feel for you Michelle, as i stated before any reputable TA would just absorb the $40.00 and be done with it. I think that the best course of action would be for you to dispute the credit charges. Do you have a copy of the original e-mail with the price? You will need that when you send in your written charge dispute.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Yes, I do have a copy, thanks Lisa.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evelyn Richardon

I sympathise with you. After seeing a cruise ad in my Sunday paper from a semi local agency I called and booked with them, I travel solo so would have to pay a supplement, no problem with that, I paid the deposit of $450, then a few days later the agent called me and said "because you are travelling solo you have to pay $900 deposit" I disputed this and was told "its the cruise line rule" well I had done 8 cruises with that line and never had to pay a double deposit before. I mentioned I was displeased and was considering cancelling the booking, only to be told "you will have to pay $250 penalty for cancelling " This even though trhe cruise was still 7 MONTHS away. a few days later I got the invoice and there it was "a $250 charge if I cancelled ," again they claimed "its a cruise line rule" which of course was a complete lie.

I let the cruise stand, but was very annoyed at this agency. This week with the cruise just days away I had problems with non arrival of tickets. again the agency blamed the cruise line. Lots of phone calls and E mails, bottom line agency acted as though I was a real cruise "greenhorn" with lies galore, finally admitted they had the tickets but a member of the staff had failed to process them.

Finally yesterday got the tickets, todya my E Mail showed a "blurb" touting their SERVICE and EXPERTISE.

Need I say I will not be using that local agency again.

Unfortunately it seems that travel agencies can and do hire people who have never travelled, and only know how to punch buttons on the machine or move a "mouse" and most local agencies here in FL hire part time agents. I think you have got an agent like that

Good Luck and I hope you get satisfaction. The agent should honor whatever rate she quoted at the time you made the booking AND PAID THE DEPOSIT , to me that constitutes a "contract"