Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Admiral

Default motion sickness arm bands ?

Any of you world travelers use these things ? If so, where did u get them from ? Did they work ? Were they affordable ? Were they better than the patch or other methods ?

I used the patch last spring & I literally was almost blind for 2 weeks... 1 week onboard & the week after recouping.... I dont think I want to go thru that again IF we cruise again.

We've been getting some good offers on last minute from Galveston... but of course Im having surgery on the 22nd... so Im wandering if the 2nd week in March is too soon ??

Im not gonna do the excursions, so it would be just as easy to rest at sea, right ? Im just afraid of complications.... so, I think Ive got myself scared out of making the plans...

But, there is always some other time... let me know on the bands please.... thanks y'all !

love,
Steph
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: motion sickness arm bands ?

Mrs. Cynic is highly prone to motion sickness. She finds the Sea Bands work okay, but uses Bonine or Bonamine when it really starts rocking. Dramamine is useless (drowsy). Dramamine II is the same as Bonine, with the active ingredient Meclezene.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:56 AM
salem5050

Bonine works for me.
I used the patch the first cruise...and NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE IT. I had horrible side effects from the patch, almost worse then being sea sick.

Start the Bonine a day or two before you leave, works like a charm for me.

Mary Margaret
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:31 AM
VTJen

I do the same as Mrs. Cynic. I bought my bands in the local drug store, but I think they have them at Wal-Mart.

VTJen
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I bought mine at CVS. Luckily, last two cruises I haven't really needed anything. I took one Bonine on the April 2003 cruise and 2 on the April 2004 cruise, other than that we had smooth sailing. I prefer Bonine over Dramamine. I've found for me it has no side effects.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
PapBill

The "armbands " you are referring to are called Sea Bands. They are elastic bands with tiny built in bumps that are worn on the wrist with the bumps placing pressure on your pulse points. They are sold wherever travellers remedies are sold, such as major chain pharmacies. They are about $6 or $7. Do they work? Two of my grandchildren wear them after demonstrating signs of car sickness (all over the back of the car). There is a physical effect , and a psycological one as well. They have been around for years and users swear by them. There are no side effects.
Other remedies include Dramamine and Bonine. These are mosr effective when taken before getting motion sick. One remedy that supposedly works after getting sick is the common antihistamine Benadryl. It is apparently an effective anti nausient as well. Another suggested remedy is to use pure ginger.
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Why not get the seabands, but take some Bonine and maybe some ginger capsules as back ups?

I used one Bonine tablet just once when the waves were VERY high. I wasn't sick, but starting to feel light-headed. I experienced no side effects at all.

A friend of mine, who is very prone to motion sickness swears by the armbands, but also takes Bonine along as a back-up.

As far as when you should cruise, I think you might need to ask your physician that question, but lazing around on the deck sure sounds like a good recover plan to me!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Passenger

I've used the sea bands when flying and they worked for me. I didn't want to wear them on the cruise so I had my doctor prescribe the patch for behind my ear (unfortunately I started experience vertigo the week before my cruise so the dizziness had already started.) After using the patch the dizziness went away but my eyes were awful, my pupils dialated so big it was incredible and I couldn't see anything within arms length. I've never experienced anything like that before (and I've used the patch before). I my opinion, use something else if you can....