Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Default family vacation... other than a cruise ?

ok mates, dont make me walk the plank... its time to think of the "vacation" again... DH doesnt want to cruise again so soon... he thinks he would prefer an all inclusive ? Son (14 ) isnt crazy about theme parks anymore.... and says he wants to stay in the US... what bright ideas can yall come up with ? We are currently considering Vegas, NYC, St Pete, and California. Waiting to hear from yall !!

Thanks -
Steph
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Don Smith

Default Re: family vacation... other than a cruise ?

One of our favorite vacation spots is the nation's Capitol. Washington, DC, offers many great things for free. You can easily spend a week there visiting the many sites that are free without seeing everything. We always stay just across the street from the Air and Space museum. I highly recommend the subway to get to the nation's zoo...subway has a fee, but zoo is free and good.

Happy plannig
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Yeoman

Steph,
Have to agree. DC offers many great and exciting things for all age groups and tastes. Having dragged my kids all over the country, (and on many cruises) DC is definately a hit with my 2 sons and husband. The Smithsonian is great to visit especially when it is hot outside, Riding the Metro is reasonable and very easy to navigate. Hotels in the summer are great. Have stayed at a couple "suite" hotels and they are the way to go. Happen to like Lincoln Suites by George Washington U. Near metro and in a neat neighborhood. Also the Zoo, (go early to see the panda's up and about). Have also done CA. NYC, Vegas and live in St Pete so Esp. with a 14 year old, go visit some of the colleges (ie Georgetown) also. My slightly jaded children have never lost interest in DC Also, do the bus tour by night to the monuments. Costs around 26$ per person but its worth it because you ride in air conditioning, don't have to worry about parking and the lights are great and they pick you up at your hotel. Email me if you want more info on DC w/ kids

Anne

ps. consider Alaska if possible. My kids would love to go back there

Caribbean Princess
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

How about a dude ranch? They're all inclusive and offer a lot of activities other than horseback riding.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Don Smith

Alaska is good also. Have done it twice. Strongest memories are white and a constant chatter I heard. My wife told me that chatter was my teeth vibrating from nearly freezing to death. SAW ZERO BIKINIS THERE.
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Well, not that I work for the tourist board here but how about a vacation in NH. Rent a cottage on Lake Winnipesaukee or stay in a hotel. Water sports on the lake are fun. We also have the "cruise" ship MV Mt Washington which does 2-3 hour tours daily. they also have great dinner dance cruises in the evening. Many fine restaurants in the area. There are many places to go sightseeing within easy driving distance. There is concert venue You can email me for the name and website of the concert venue. They feature many popular acts. If you are bikers you might want to come in June when we have the Annual Motorcycle Race and Rally Week. It does get crowded here then with close to 1/2 million bikers in the area. Weirs Beach is a fun place to be in the summer with lots going on. The Lakes Region really is beautiful and there is a lot going on in the summer.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 26th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi Again, I forgot to mention the racetrack that has Nascar racing. I know they do one in July and one in September. Lots of people come to this area for that too.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'KandJ

All good suggestions, especially Washington, D.C. I really enjoyed going there, too. You comments make me want to go back!

Judy
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Admiral

If you visit Vegas, you are also near some fabulous scenery in a number of National Parks including the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce.
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

We did DC last summer and loved it (again) and kids really enjoyed it more than I thought they would.

I agree with Mr. Paul on Grand Canyon, caverns etc, and meteor crater AZ, (i got a kick out of that)

banker
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Em

Vegas!
Our kids voted to re -visit Vegas over Disney. We vacationed there four out of five years in one stretch.
The ages of your son match the ages of our kids when we kept returning.
If you fly in from the east, just don't schedule an evening show the first night; give it a day. But you'll be up for breakfast, and a full day, by six am your first day there.
Get in touch with me if you'd want some more specific thoughts on what our teens liked the most.
Em
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Steph... I'd argue for an Alaska cruise!! Took my sons there when they were in their teens, and they still remember and talk about flying up on a helicopter and walking on the glaciers.

With all the "adventure tours" available in Alaska, it put the Caribb, and beach vacations to shame for the teens.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
VTJen

My kids loved our vacation in Vegas - I think my son was 14 that year and my daughter 16. The year before we went to Ottawa - Canada's version of D.C - which is a short 3 1/2 hour drive from our home. They enjoyed all the museums and parliment buildings we visited - the statues, so I'm sure DC would be a good choice as well. They also enjoyed any of our vactions that included an amusement and/or water park - as we live so far from any it is always a treat. Vegas was there favorite, with Myrtle Beach coming in second.

VTJen
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

ok... good tips mates...
heres my thoughts... been to Orlando too many times to count.... blah !
been to DC... dont want to go back !
been to NYC... always love that ! (not sure hubby does)
been on 1 cruise - enjoyed it (hubby didnt, son bored)
been to Myrtle Beach - not impressed !
been to St Petes - it was ok !
been to NASA.... it was good !

Where is the "great" spot ? Its very hard to please my family... my special needs son who is not limited by physical abilities just is not "into" anything... he doesnt hang out with other teens, do sports, any of that stuff. I hate to throw money away and not get what we wanted... a GREAT time ! I know time is what u make of it, I had a good time on the cruise even though I was SICK the whole time ! Im just at a loss, every day is a challenge for us & it would be nice to get a break ! Looks like Vegas or NYC are in the top running for now... I know when I was 14 I wouldve said "VACATION ? IM THERE "

does anyone have any experience with the "Beaches" resorts ? Is Jamaica a kid friendly environment... ?
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Try Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. It has more restaurants per sq. mile than any place except NYC. Deap sea fishing, plenty of golf, dinner cruises to Daufuskie Island, plenty of resorts, water parks, mini-golf, and huge outlet centers.

You can take an excursion to Savannah riverfront or Charleston, S.C. Old southern plantations tours.

I've been going there for over 30 years and love it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Steph, That is a hard choice....We love to go where it is warm and we sure had fun snorkeling on our cruise. But since you are from Texas..... How about San Diego??.. Beaches, Zoo/Wild Animal Park, museums(if he is into any sort of them).
Good luck deciding!!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Happy Camper

How about a houseboat? We did that in Arkansas on lake Oichiwa (spelling) and had a wonderful time! Still water but you can fish and scuba dive and swim and go off the slide on the top deck and there is a hot tub and you anchor each night at any secluded place you find and want to anchor in. We'd explore and build big fires on the beach and cook there or in the kitchen on board or on the BBQ pit on the front deck. Very different and can't wait to go back. Inexpensive in Arkansas in the off season which is why we chose there. Ours was 65 foot long and had 6 bedrooms and 2 baths. All very new. Anyway we also love to camp in the RV we have so how about renting a motorhome or RV and head out for a week of camping in different spots close to you.... Debbie