Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Default Glory, Oh Glory! 2/19 Freeport looks nothing like St.Thomas

Hello fellow cruisemates...Can't express enough how disappointed we are in the change of intinerary due to mechanical failure and the lack of positive response from Carnival and the ship's staff. We feel $100 will not make up for the years of savings and planning that we had put into this vacation. The stress that was handed to us on day 2 of our cruise tainted the entire trip and was the topic of conversation for the next five days. Even if we tried to "let it go" for awhile the buzz and constant complaining by fellow passengers only worsened the disappointment. At this point we are evaluating our options, and will see if we have any recourse. We have contacted Carnival and have reached unsympathetic ears. We will be contacting our internet travel agency. Has anyone else started any other inquiries or actions? By the way, we came home to eight inches of snow and more of the white stuff on it's way!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Glory, Oh Glory! 2/19 Freeport looks nothing like St.Tho

I thought Carnival had a 100% guarantee that if you were not satisfied with your cruise, they will fly you home from your first port and refund 100% of your money; why didn't this apply here?

Good luck with your negotiations. Realize that all lines have the right to substitute ports or not have any ports at all. Also, mechanical problems happen on all lines and more frequently than people realize. Please try to never base your vacation happiness on arriving at a certain port. If that port is so critical to you, you might want to try a land vacation instead.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I can understand your disapointment, and it's a shame it happened, but it should certainly not lasted the entire length of your cruise. You need to put things into perspective. Weather or mechanical problems are a fact of cruising, period..Read any cruise brochure. On my first Carnival cruise, we had mechanical problems as well. we never got to St Maarten, which is why I booked that particular ship. We got Nassau as a substitute, and NO credit...You were given a $100.00 and another island, quite fair I think. I think to go further with this will just get more unsympathetic ears, and more "stress"...They compensated you, you cruised, let it go. Plan another to get you in the mood..hopefully that ship will go to St Thomas...You may also have saved some money

Post Edited (02-27-05 19:29)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Ron Kim

I was also on the cruise. I am a consumer rights attorney in New York (also licensed to practice in MA.) I am exploring my options, one of which is to sue the company for breach of contract, false, misleading and deceptive trade practices etc... It will take time, but I believe that we may find out something about the "broken ship" that place Carnival and their entire operation in some very negative light.

Ron Kim
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Cruizin K and J

My DH and I were on a Princess cruise a couple of years back where one of the ports was supposed to be Monte Carlo. But they substituted Nice instead because the Grand Prix had cut all all roads leading into the city. Lots of us were disappointed but Princess never batted an eye. They should have planned better, or mentioned the car race in their brochure.

Judy
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

ROTFLMAO! Well Ron Kim, if you are an attorney then you had better read the terms of passage that appears on the back of your documents as well as on their published brochure. You will find that they have in fact done much more than they needed to in compensation. They only need to put you on the ship for 7 days, period. If they do not go to a port and do not substitue another port, (they did in your case), they they agree to refund you $20 per occurance. In your particuliar case they actually owe you nothing. Being an attorney you should not that. Understand that I am sorry you missed your ports and your vacation was not what you wanted. Understand that while $100pp is not much when you multiply that by 3,000 you get $300,000 that CCL paid out directly to it's passengers that they did not have to pay one red cent but did so to try and do something for them. In addition you also have to understand that CCL also lost at least $200,000 in revenue that they could have received while in those ports and have the addition expense of repairing the ship so it probably cost them nearly $500,000.00 for this 'problem' that they had. I don't mean to lessen your dissapointment but sue, no way.
Jim

Old February 27th, 2005, 07:56 PM
susancruzs

I'm always surprised when I read things about port changes. I was on a Princess cruise Hawaiin islands then on to Vancouver and we had all sorts of issues. Seas were rough the older little Island Princess was bobbing around like a bobber.

We had to skip ports and then as we sailed off to Vancouver it was solid fog for 5 days, you could not see a thing, it was so creepy. It was ugly onboard, people were cranky, sick, small ship, not many places to go and be indoors. Princess did nothing, nor did I expect them to. I looked at it as an adventure, you can't change the weather, yes, we missed ports but tendering or docking safely is their call.

People tried to start a petition but nothing came of it. The way I look at it, read the contract, out of their control, things happen. Even with engine issues, its not like they can repair it right away.

Susie
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

When ports of call are changed to do weather conditions, or sea conditions and such I don't think they really have a "right" to complain.

Frankly, in this case, where the problems were mechanical, I believe the cruise line's should accept "some responsibility". Mechanical breakdowns do happen, but I'm not sure the cruise passengers are the ones who should be responsible.

Now.. they did get a full 7 day cruise, and the cruise line contract certainly specifies that the can change itinerary for ANY reason. But I think the cruise line who is ultimately responsible for the mechanical maintenance of the ship could have been more generous in it's efforts to appease the passengers and meet it's own obligations for the situation.

The $100 onboard credit PLUS some form of future cruise credit... perhaps 25%, would have been more fair compensation. Of course, there'd still be passengers complaining and threatening suits.

But I don't think it should always be the passenger taking all the risks.

Though the passengers really SHOULD read the conditions of the cruise contract before they board, knowing the risks they are taking.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Admiral

I'm with Trip on this. You cruised. Got 95% of what you paid for.
What do you want? A full refund?

and Ron Kim is just "trolling for business".... <better get your fee in advance from your victims, dude.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Admiral

"It's been confirmed that the Carnival Glory 2/19/05 sailing experienced engine problems. CCL has altered the ship's itinerary to remove St. Thomas and St. Martin and is replacing them with Freeport. The passengers have been given a $100 OBC and a future cruise credit."................ousoonerfanintexas

According to the post by OU above, there is a future cruise credit along with the $100 pp. I'd like to hear what the future credit amounts to before passing judgement.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Admiral

We were also surrounded by complaining passengers in September. Supposed to be on a Western itinerary (Belize, Progreso, Cozumel, Costa Maya). The hurricanes had other ideas and we ended up on an Eastern itinerary at Nassau and St. Marten ONLY. Belize was a major stop for us that we were really anticipating.

All that being said, we still had a wonderful time and didn't let the other passengers' dissatisfaction bring us down. I was worried that my 1st time cruiser dh would be very unhappy, but he looked upon the cruise as an adventure and by golly we had one!

My husband is also an attorney Ron Kim and wouldn't have CONSIDERED suing Carnival. We understood before boarding that the cruiseline could change the itinerary for any reason, at anytime. Better read that contract again before you proceed.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:35 PM
DENISE H

we went on a cruise after the hurriacane last fall we were to go to the grand cymans
but carnival change your port of call to costa maya the reson it was change because
of the damage to the port because hurricane we had a great time in costa maya
some times things just happen life is just a big adventure its up to you if you are going
enjoy or not