Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Pam Kelly

Default Sickness in Cabo - Montazuma's Revenge

Just to warn everyone, we just returned from a week long stay in Cabo San Lucas (Feb. 14-21). We were a group of 10 and 7 of us got sick. I needed the doctor in the middle of the night, I had vomiting and dirrarhea so bad and stomach pains. We talked to more people in a group of 100 and 50 of them were sick. We love Cabo and go there ever year and this is the first time we've had this happen. Just be careful, don't drink "any water", use the ice, don't eat food that hasn't been throughly cook, and eat only fruit that you personally peel, and wash your hands frequently. If you have any questions contact me at ppk347@aol.com.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Sickness in Cabo - Montazuma's Revenge

I got sick 4 years ago on an excursion in Cabo - ate the limes - is the only thing we could trace it back too. It was very very bad - took two weeks to recover fully and the flight back home was miserable!!!!! Luckaly it was the last stop on the cruise... Debbie
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to rocster

Wouldn't the ice be made from the same water that got you sick? Just wondering. Could it have been something you ate?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Pam Kelly

Default Re: Re: Sickness in Cabo - Montazuma's Revenge

We aren't 100% sure it was the water in our case...we have been told it could be food related...it's scarry though. We love going to Cabo and hope the problem is solved by next year or we won't be making our yearly trip.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to rocster

I hope all is well now. I have had similar and I know how bad that malady can be. I too love many spots in Mexico and have been very lucky so far. (knock on wood)
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I got sick last fall from eating something in Cozumel. The sea day back to NO was terrible. Got back on a Friday and by Monday I went to the doctor. He gave me Cipro which cleared it up in 2 days. He said it would last up to 3 weeks untreated.

I hate Mexico. Won't go back. Not just for that reason but everything else.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Yeoman

My DH and I have been on two cruises that had a port day in Cozumel..and he has never seen Cozumel,thanks to Montezuma! First cruise we visited Grand Caymans on the day before he became ill. We all had eaten at the same restaurant, no one sick but him. Second cruise we visited Belize and all ate the same food at the same restaurant while in port, then that night ate at the supper club, Emerald Room. DH was the only one to eat the tuna sushi. He was in agony all night and the next day. Drank only kaopectate for the whole day we were in Cozumel. He is either A)Unlucky B)Allergic to Cozumel or C)Hated by Montezuma!

Lesley
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Bezor

I'm going on a 40 day, around South America trip, in less than a month. Just visited my family doctor and he gave me a prescription for Cipro just in case. His wife worked for a cruise line. Although I didn't even ask for an antibiotic he wanted me to take it with me just in case (and gave directions on when to use it). I'm glad he thought of it as I wouldn't have until I was far away and needing it. I'll pick the Cipro up from the pharmacy tomorrow. Hopefully I won't need it but if I do I'll have it.
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Yeoman

As a world traveler who has visited just about every port in the Caribbean along with Cabo, Mazatlan and P.V. guess I have been lucky or just have a cast iron stomach. I even drank the local water in Hong Kong and Tijuana and never became ill. Once I had too many coco locos in P.V. and felt a little quesy, but this was my own fault!

Happy sailing and travel safe!

Carol