Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default Don't let the bedbugs bite.

This appeared in our local (Orlando) paper in a column by a guy who attempts to solve consumer disputes and complaints. Thought it was interesting.

Dear Greg: My husband and I took our first cruise on the Carnival Triumph. The first night we were awakened by a biting sensation. In the morning, we found bugs in our bed. Employees tore the cabin apart and found bedbugs everywhere and dirt in the bed frame and carpeting. The trash under the bed was just horrid. We did not rest from the time we arrived onboard Saturday until after 10:30 Sunday night, when we were settled in another stateroom. We lost two days of our cruise because of bedbugs. The purser offered us a 20 percent discount on a future cruise, a bottle of wine and a free shore excursion. We do not drink, and the short trip was worth $70. We feel that is not adequate compensation for the discomfort and inconvenience we experienced. You cannot imagine what it is like to have bugs crawling all over your body!

DALE and DONNA ALLEN TAVARES

Dear Donna and Dale: This is the answer I got from Carnival: "We feel the compensation is fair and equitable. No further compensation can be offered at this time." What more do you want? Lots of people would pay extra for the Fear Factor cabin.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Don't let the bedbugs bite.

Scary, considering Kuki encountered bed bugs on a Carnival cruise also. Can't remember which ship...

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Michelle,

What's a couple of bed bugs. A cruise is what you make it. <VBG>

Now that would be my idea of a cruise from hell. I can handle not having a bed made, missing ports, mechanical problems, weather, mediocre food, bad shows, rough seas. However, I draw the line at crawling critters in the bed! I would be speaking with the Hotel Captain for a new room immediately. I would push for a 20% refund and not a 20% discount on a future cruise. It could be given as a credit to my ship board account. If that did not happen I would work in conjunction with my agent and go up the line with corporate until a settlement was reached.

On the other side of the coin, I can see how bed bugs can get into the cabin. Many people have to bring "their pillow" from home. Who knows what is living in that pillow.

Bed bugs, lice or filth would be intolerable.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Just be glad they did not charge them for the extra buffet..>G<..The truth is, you have bugs crawling all over you anyway

Old March 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Admiral

You're right, Sue. Kuki reported a problem with bedbugs on a CM cruise he hosted early last year. I think it was on the Carnival Spirit. We've sailed on Carnival ships seven times, and never had a problem such as this. In fact, we've really enjoyed every Carnival cruise (but then, we've enjoyed every cruise we've ever taken). So don't let this incident dampen your enjoyment on the beautiful Glory this coming September. You're gonna love it!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't let the bedbugs bite.

Jack you were reading my mind! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Old March 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Admiral

I was under the impression that Carnival Cruise Lines gave a FULL refund if you did not enjoy your cruise?

Was this true in the past or have I been having bad dreams? <G>

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Two cabins of cruisemates had bed bugs on the Spirit last year. CREEPY!!

Both werent discovered until the second last night of the cruise.... and I know one of our cruisemates slept in her clothes the last nights.

Carnival actually didn't do anything for them, other than a letter of apology. Not an appropriate response at all.

In Jan. we had a friend cruising with us who stayed pre cruise at a Holiday Inn on the beach in Ft . Lauderdale, and YUP.. had beg bugs in the room, and he had bites all over.

There's really no excuse for having bed bugs. A regular prevention program is effective dealing with them. When you own a nearly 100 year old hotel, you know about these things <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Can you sue Carnival for this? Yuck, now Im worried about the Legend, Im going soon. All cruise lines and hotels should have a policy to check for this all the time. I stayed in a Cape Cod hotel with blood stains all over the comforter, that smelled like cigar smoke even after leaving the door open several hours, yellow celings and drapes, no hot water last night, but bugs nothing can make up for bugs Ick!!! I encountered roaches here in Chicago at the O hare hilton one new years eve, It was disgusting and our room was changed but I couldn't sleep for fear of them.
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Do instances of "bed bugs" get reported to CDC? Is there a report of past occurrences that cruisers can check on?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14