Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default POLL: How much does the cruise director impact your cruise e

How much of an impact does the cruise director have on your personal enjoyment of a cruise? I've heard of people booking ships just to get a specific cruise director. Others almost never go to group activities so the cruise director doesn't matter to them. Does it make a difference to you? What's your take?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: POLL: How much does the cruise director impact your crui

We have found that the CD can make a good cruise great. We love getting involved with the games etc.
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM
booboo4031

No influence at all ... most of the time by the last day of the cruise I can't even tell you who the CD is.

Old March 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I can only recall one cruise director who made any impact on me, and that was Mark Price ... very warm, etc. Other than him, doesn't matter much at all to me ... this may be due to the fact that we rarely take part in the organized activities.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM
pcboston

Never thought about it until the last cruise, when the CD was a real bore. Have had 6 good out of 7, so it was really obvious. I think it really does matter.
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Not at all. I am too busy eating to know what the cruise director is doing.
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Passenger

We were on the Millennium Jan. 9 and had a great time all week BUT the CD really made us uncomfortable with practically demanding everyone fill out their Celebrity rating forms with outstanding for all the questions. Really showed no class!
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

To me , the public side of the CD is that he is an announcer or master of cermony. If he is funny or talented it can add a bit of enjoyment, but otherwise that public side impacts me very little. Behind the scenes the organization and running of various forms of entertainment and activities is more what I notice. What kind of team does he have and what level of enthusiasm do they bring to the various activities I either participate in or observe. There is where I believe the impact truly shows. Most CD's I have experienced
do an excellent job.
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Not much at all. Only one CD I remember is for the wrong reason. He was Troy Linton on the Pride and he told everyone to be at the Lounge at 7:30 am for Immigration check in St. Thomas. We arrived as he said at 7:30 and the line of people we encountered stretch the whole length of the ship. We had a 9:00 excursion booked and after standing in line for over an hour we knew there was no way we were going to make the excursion. At about 10 minutes 'till 9:00 some of the social hosts went walking through the line and pulling people out who had 9:00 excursions and walked us up to the front.

It was not well planned.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM
pg

None at all.
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
venice

none at all which probably means he/she were doing their job very well
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Couldn't care less about the CD. We are there for the ocean, the relaxation and fun of being away from home. He/She can all the announcements in the world and not affect my cruise one way or another. I remember only ONE of the cd's and can't remember his name....he was funny at times but that's all I remember.

Old March 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM
SharB

The CD makes a big difference to us.
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Captain

I think the cruise director sets the mood for the whole cruise. How he handles any negative situation will impact how the passengers deal with a negative situation. Hopefully turning it into a positive. Watching a company or person turn a negative into a positive is an even greater impact than just having everything be positive, because then it is taken for granted.
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:07 PM
cruisermatt

On our last cruise (voyager of the seas), 2/19/05, the cruise director was fabulous! Backy Thompson was hysterical and made our cruise beyond great. Thanks for a great cruise Becky!
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'KandJ

Makes no difference at all.

Judy
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

A CD on a cruise ship is the BOSS of all activities during cruise. If he does not do his job then it effects our enjoyment.

Some things peeve me all controlled by the CD. I.E.

Accuracy in published the daily bulletin. We have seen many mistakes and if the CD would take the time and effort to make sure it is correct then we would enjoy the cruise more.

Announcements over the PA system could be cut down or eliminated. Many CD or his staff get on the PA and actually read the Dailly. To me this is not necessary. He is insulting the passengers intellagence. Most of us can read I am sure. When the announcement is made it cuts out all the PA systems on the ship except the one he is speaking on. Stop it please.

Yes the CD does have an impact.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The cd makes no impact on my enjoyment at all.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Even if you never see the CD, he has a big impact on how you enjoy your cruise. After all, he runs the entertainment staff. If he is a good manager, it will be a better cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

I have had the pleasure of getting to know a number of CD's and some I can continue to call friends and keep in contact with often. I can tell you that the CD is probably the single most person that affects your cruise. He/She is the person that sets the mood of just about everything that goes on the ship. While some people say they just go for relaxing in the sun the reason they can is because the CD set a happy mood. It is quite the deat to make some people laugh, others relax, and other have activities constantly. I will admit that the Hotel Director is responsible for your rooms and the cleanliness of the ship as well as over the Beverage Manager.(Very Important!) and the others like Staff Captain serve highly responsible jobs that all contribute to your enjoyment they work as a well oiled machine together but things go down quickly without a good cd. The others take time to hurt a ship.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I have had one memorable CD, and enjoyed his entertainment. The others were forgettable, and one even annoying. Also remember 2 really annoying activities/social directors. Otherwise, I enjoy any cruise, no matter who's in charge!

donna

Old March 5th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: POLL: How much does the cruise director impact your

I think the Hotel Director is more important. (if there is such a peson). I never saw the CD on my cruise.
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Admiral

There is a hotel director and you are correct in that he is a very important person. There are a couple differnat names for that position depending on the cruise line and like the CD he is considered a three stripe Officer
Jim

Old March 5th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Usually the CD doesn't affect me at all, unless his team is not up to par. However one CD stands out to me....and kudos to Carnival for this (as they are not my favorite cruise line, but for entertainment, they do excel)......Michael Mullane and his wife Jenny are absolutely wonderful! I was in a game that Jenny was running (musical trivia) and playing by myself, when Michael snuck up behind me and startled me and made me laugh with his comment. Jenny then took him to task for "scaring" me as I had been doing so well before he came in! Both were just very nice people.

Old March 6th, 2005, 03:50 AM
pg

I think the fact that we never play any ship games, or participate in any ship activities impacts how important we think a CD is.

We just want to go to the ports on port days, we NEVER( well obviously we did on our first cruise) go to the waste of time port talks which are NOTHING but "where to shop so we get our kick back talks" , we lie by the pool and visit the buffet all day on sea days. We don't play or watch pool games, we like quiet, and we don't play bingo or horseraces either.
We often just attend one or two shows, usaully a comedian one night and a broadway type show the other night. The rest of the time, we a have a drink in the lounge after dinner and perhaps a stroll around.

So,,,,, if you are like us, a CD is just not important. As for announcements etc, Princess keeps those to a minimum, regardless of who CD is, and I would have to also add tht the Hotel director probably impacts us more, he or she is the one person who is ultimately responsible for all the service staff and the quality of service.
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Admiral

I agree Lisa. We got to know Michael and his lovely wife last year and they are wonderful people. Unfortunately we have missed each other several times and haven't been able to sit down and talk but they are always very enjoyable and fun people.
Jim

Old March 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Joyful

The CD has a direct impact on how much we enjoy our cruise, for the reasons that so many others have already stated. Behind the scenes being the most important, the "public" side is almost, but not quite as, important. He/she DOES set the mood of the cruise, whether we partake in the games/activities or not. Other people who are on the cruise impact our cruise experience, and the CD has an impact on them.

We don't usually get involved in the activites or the games (except for Bingo), but we go and observe, which is a kick all by itself! I feel that the first show where you first meet the CD kinda sets the tone for us. We have only had one "bad" one in all of the cruises we have taken, and I am convinced that she was either new and had not had the opportunity to become good at it (both the public side, which was really bad, or the behind the scenes part), or was forced into the position for the week we were there against her will.

I believe that if a CD is personable, and well organized, then they will have the pax eating out of their hands!

My $.02 worth!
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Passenger

The Cd on the MAriner was excellent. He really is good. I did not understand this until I went on the Jewel of the Seas. She was bad. i have to admit after being with one for a week that is bad it does make a difference.