Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:46 AM
salem5050

Default Help...neighbors wind chimes driving me crazy!!

I am so sick of my neighbors wind chimes. They are wonderful people in their 70's and for some reason they put up two sets of wind chimes in the fall. Well its near our bedroom and after yet another windy night......I am going crazy from the sounds of them. Its kinda funny cause both of them wear hearing aids and I am sure they do not hear the chimes.
My husband wanted to take them down last night, but I could not let him, cause they are such wonderful people and I would feel bad.

Anyone else have a neighbor story to share concering something going on that bothers you about your neighbors?

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:04 AM
joto

Default Re: Help...neighbors wind chimes driving me crazy!!

This maybe have to go on the gripe board, but here goes. Our neighbors have let their teens run up and down a strip of land near our house with their ATV's on a Sunday morning early (specially in the summer, say 7-8 am when we are trying to have a lie in. It does get annoying with the incesant noise. We really don't have anything to do with them so haven't asked them to either stop or wait until later in the day. I doubt whether they would pay any attention to our request though.
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to say, I often wonder why people suffer at the hands others, wanting to be "nice" as in the neighbors case, they probably cannot even hear them as you suggested. Why should you not be able to sleep in, when more then likely, just nicely mentioning the fact to this couple would,do the trick..

We also have an area behind our house that attracts atvs..The whole street at times, has called the police over the yrs. Actually, the police are on our side and act accordingly, doing what they need to do..

I certainly am not an advocate of confrontations, but, my well being is just as important as someone elses. Moving the chimes, or driving later in the day, is not alot to ask of people..Don't you think?

Post Edited (03-09-05 07:30)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

For us it is not neccessarily the neighbors. In the winter snowmobiles run the train tracks across the street. Some of those tracks are on a trestle crossing the river. Some who are afraid to cross the trestle leave the tracks where they cross our street about 1/2 mile above our house. They then come down the sidewalks and rejoin the tracks where they cross our street below our house. It is annoying to wake up in the night to the roar of snowmobiles in the street.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Help...neighbors wind chimes driving me crazy!!

One street behind us a family bought a house not too long ago. They have very big bon fires at night in the back yard. Now this is Florida, dry season and very very dangerous. Some neighbors called the fire truck and we did so last saturday. The neighbor came over afterwards and asked us if we did call and we said yes. We tried to explain to him it just takes 1 spark and the entire street will be on fire. There are no fire hydrants on any of our streets. The guy is very nice, invited us over to look at it <which we did> He has a family, kids and said he would never put anyone in danger. However, this is illegal here in FL and one needs a special permit for a just one time use of such thing. We told him the entire neighbor hood is against it. It does not help to see they drink <we saw beer and whiskey bottles> Needless to say we are very worried. The fire department told us next time they are called woudl eb the 3rd time and they woudl start charging the family the trip there plus bring the police.
I am curious how this will play out.

as to the wind chimes talk to them and see what they will do.

Old March 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Admiral

FYI,
Did you know that, if you apply a spray furniture wax to chimes it lowers the volume of the chiming? The more layers you add, after prier coat has dried, the quieter they get.
Just another tip from your ol’ Uncle Jason…I’m full of em”…or as Carol would say, I’m full of it.
Still hiding in the background

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Help...neighbors wind chimes driving me crazy!!

Did you know that if you apply crazy glue to wind chimes and hold them together for a moment it quiets them down dramatically.
I would tell the neighbors nicely, ONCE, that you enjoy the sound of their chimes, however it is disturbing your sleep. If they are good neighbors that will be the end of it. If not, any action you take , they deserve.
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Cruizin K and J

We have new neighbors, too. Their trash pickup day is different than everybody else's. Every Tuesday a.m., somebody over there drags out what seems like dozens of trash cans about 6 a.m. It always awakens me. The trash truck doesn't come til mid morning, there's always people home. So why can't they take the trash cans out later in the a.m?

Judy
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Admiral

MaryMargaret, I think since you get along with the neighbours-you should just ask them nicely. I do know what you mean though about irritating noises from neighbours-do not even ask about the various dogs barking in my neighbourhood!! I guess once you ask them and they do not remove them, that means no sneaking out at night and applying crazy-glue or bringing a pair of scissors to steal them away!!

Old March 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Admiral

I absolutely HATE wind chimes !! Everyone around me knows that as I am quite OPINIONATED as Ive been told ! When we lived in another town & would come here to visit periodically - my MIL had chimes on the back porch next to DH old bedroom where we use to sleep.... I couldnt take it anymore & told DH that I would NOT make the trip anymore unless he did something about it !! DH told MIL that it bothered "US" and she took them down... she now has them back up as we live 3 miles away & no longer need to sleep there....

What I hate also, is my son knows i hate them & when we go into various stores that sell them... he deliberately runs his hand thru them.... he says NOT to aggravate me but because he LOVES the sound.... different strokes for different folks I guess...

Im all for PEACE & QUIET !!!! When Im home alone, sometimes I never even turn the tv on... just sit & do things quietly....

Steph
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Admiral

You can also fill them with lead...which can be accomplished from several yards away, with a good scope.<G>

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Admiral

lol @ Jason !
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Yeoman

Jason, You're a sick person! Thanks for the lead tip though. That's hysterical!

In the auto parts store there is a good spray rubber that you put on tool handles. Just spray a bit on the part that makes the noise.

. . . I'm still laughing about filling them up with lead. (we like to @#$%^ the neighbor's #$@$% with our paintball guns) hee hee

Holiday May 2000
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM
BoosterMom

Good Housekeeping Magazine has this particular situation regarding wind chimes in this months issue. Peggy Post says:
Have a chat with neighbor. Say those wind chimes are lovely, but boy what a noise they make. I hate to ask but would you mind taking them down in the evenings? Reader response says: I'd live with it, but have my windows insulated. I'd ask them to replace their wind chimes with my gift of quieter ones. I'd tape the sound one night, let them listen to it and then ask if they'd remove chimes.