Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM
pg

Default Re: Mentally Handicapped Passengers

Boohoo, you have obviously had some bad experiences( and yes they happen) but I tend to see the many good experiences that many others enjoy. I have horror stories of our clients that used to live in their family homes that I could share with you, so not every family is a good guardian, and not everyhome is a good place either. Your relative does sound WAY more handicapped then the average downs syndrome person.

Remember to check relatives living in old folks homes too, they too suffer abuse or neglect in some places, my friend works in one( there is no abuse, but some neglect she feels) and maintains that families that visit OFTEN are the best safety valve for a incompetent person.
The point is BE involved, then you don't have to worry about what is going on, you will KNOW!
How about a compromise, take a cruise with the home and your sister Josie!
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Re: Mentally Handicapped Passengers

Don't make assumptions..... no I haven't had bad experiences... because I hold the group homes to task! Plain and simple.... I've been at this for years ... my dad was cob of a group home agency for many years and I grew up with this as well as having guardianship, so there isn't much I haven't seen... so you're preaching to the choir. This trip is an incredible liability to any agency and I can't believe that the agency has been informed of any plans of this trip. Not only does the agency have liability but so does the staff...... it's a situation that most agencies wouldn't get involved with. Many agencies don't allow overnight excursions except with a family member because of these issues.

Good luck to them ..... unless YOU'VE lived the group home game .... .....
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM
booboo4031

Cruz

I'm not going to get into the closing of Laconia because the state caused the biggest fiasco of the century....the state in their infinite wisdom caused a group of people with NO adl skills to be put out into apts in Laconia ....

And I stand by the staff knows a heck of a lot less because of the turnover in the group homes and when Laconia was open.

And that's all I'm going to say on the 'wonderous' state of NH on de-institutionalization.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:16 PM
pg

boohoo, where ever you live sounds awful. And your turnover rate is yours, ours ( here) are just not as bad as you make out. What qualfcations does one have to have to work in one of the groups home you are talking about, sounds like you just have to be breathing.
You definately have a very negative view of things. Not all places are like yours, not all handicapped persons are like your relative, not all workers are stressed out with no skills or training, and not all families are loving supportive and knowledgable.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM
booboo4031

not negative ... realistic...

Old March 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
libbynan

I wouldn't take a five-year-old child on a cruise...... that's what Josie said her sister's mental age was. Yes, I know people do take five-year-olds; I said I wouldn't. There are too many more age-appropriate vacations out there. I'm sorry, but I think the poster who said the staff is really who wants to go on the cruise is correct. I've never seen a five-year-old on a ship who wouldn't have been happier somewhere else...... they are only there because their parents wanted to go on a cruise. Most of the activities on a cruise ship are designed for adults and the ship's children's program is not going to take on these developmentally handicapped adults....... so what are they going to do? This might work if each client's own family were taking them, but not as a group.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Yeoman

Oh my goodness, tons of five yr olds cruise and LOVE it. Check out the family board.
And what pray tell is " grown up" about swimming in a pool eating at a buffet, seeing a show, or going on shore excursions like with dolphins ! Drinking booze and gambling are the only truly adult activites, and not all adults indulge in those!!

So, no mentally handicapped adultsand no kids under what, 10 or 12, seems some people would really like to limit who cruises and who doesn't !

It's a big world out there.