Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Missing or changed port make you nuts?

After the recent posts on the Carnival board about the Glory cruise, I was wondering....

Does missing a port, or having an itinerary change make you nuts? It sounds as though for some of those folks it was all about the ports.

We missed Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Key West (substituted were St. Marteen and Nassau) in September and were really disappointed, but it didn't affect my cruise negatively. I can't say my son and I wanted to see Nassau again so soon, but we STILL had a wonderful time and pretty much had the "we're cruising how bad could it be?" attitude.

In my dh's review he wrote:

"Too many people want something for nothing. We had a good rate for the trip, an upgrade to a balcony, the full seven scheduled days... I could have been at work. I was sitting on a balcony in the middle of the ocean reading a book. I should get more? I spent seven days with my wife and son, I was away from my office, I ate and slept when I wanted, and I came home completely relaxed.

How 'bout you? Ports that important?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Missing or changed port make you nuts?

Having sailed in and around a few storms I am happy to say we have not yet missed any ports for those reasons. We came really close to missing St George in Bermuda due to high winds, and I must say we would have been a bit disappointed.
On our last cruise, a 14 day with 8 ports, we encountered a 3 day delay that "cost" us
3 ports due to mechanical problems. We ended up 3 extra days in Vancouver and made the best of it with extra tours in Vancouver and up to Whistler. Some cruises ports are important to me. Alaska would be one example, Hawaii another. On other cruises, ie Caribbean, I would probably be every bit as happy with 7 days at sea.
That's me.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I am sure I would be disappointed but not enough to ruin my cruise. I am there for the sea days anyway!

Old March 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is how I feel. On my very first cruise, I selected the ship, because it went to St Maarten. it sounded so exotic. The ship had stabelizer problems, and since that islans was the farthest away, they decided not to go, and gave us a full day in Nassau instead. Was I dissapointed. Yes I was. They gave no one a dime. Did this ruin my cruise, NO way, NO how. It never would enter my head to,[cut my nose off to spite my face,] as my Mother would have said..We all know, in the scheme of things, this is a minor blip. Have a good time anyway!

A few years ago, there was a woman, who planned a cruise, with a wedding in Key West. Due to the choppy seas, they could not port, and sailed on by...She had a reason, to be upset, but at herself, for taking that risk...For most minor complaints, or situations, YOU, have no control over...why drive yourself, and everyone around you crazy..grow up, be an adult, go with the flow and cruise on.....JMHO

Post Edited (03-17-05 16:55)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

We missed seeing Grand Cayman 3 times before we finally made it. Was worth the wait and we also had to take another cruise! Its tough going but someone has to do it. Being chased by huricanes is an adventure and the risk you take going to the caribbean in the summer.

jeanne and Ellis
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

The ports are not that important to me. I personally do not care for Florida and never have. But before you all start jumping all over me for giving my honest opinion, I only mention this because my next cruise leaves from NYC which is home for me sailing to Florida then Bahamas. If I cared about the ports I would've chosen a different ship/itinerary.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
AR

Dorothy--

Whether I would particularly mind missing specific ports would depend entirely on the cruise I was taking. As I said somewhere else recently, we take two kinds of cruises, one just to get away, and the other for the places we'll visit.

You can substitute or skip any islands in the Caribbean you wish, as far as we're concerned. We've see them all, and if we really want to visit one (as we sometimes do), we'll just hop a plane and rent a condo for a week, thanks. On cruises down that way, we're just as likely to stay on the ship. Same is mostly true for the Mexican Riviera.

But if our Baltic cruise had missed St. Petersburg or Tallinn, if our Med cruise had missed Athens, if our Alaska cruise had missed Ketchikan, if our Hawaii cruise had missed Maui, if our Atlantic crossing had missed the Azores, if our Panama Canal cruise had missed the Canal (well, I guess that's pretty unlikely!), of course we would have been very disappointed.

We have missed ports here and there over the years, and always made the best of it.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

While I would be disappointed to miss ports, I certainly wouldn't let it ruin my cruise. Any vacation is a good vacation as far as I'm concerned.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Admiral

We most often select our cruises based on the ports, so yes, we would be disappointed if we missed one we really wanted to see. Not enough that it would "ruin" the cruise, but we'd be unhappy.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

No Problem!! Miss a port? so what!! Kick back relax and enjoy the onboard activities. I enjoy at sea days as much as if not more than shore days. I would just make the best of it and not let it bother me. I am on vacation, that is beter than being home and freezing my behinie off.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Cruizin K and J

Many years back, we missed one of the Greek Island because of wind. Delos, I think. Didn's affect our cruise one bit.

More recently, on a Med. cruise, we missed Monte Carlo because of the Grand Prix. I, alongh with a lot of other people, was disappointed. I don't know if I'll ever get back that way again. But I spent a lovely day in Nice, bought some Channel sunglasses and a tote. We all lived happily ever after.

Judy
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Admiral

It depends on the ports. If it were a mediterranean cruise I would certainly be very disappointed to miss Venice or the Greek islands or France or ANYWHERE on that type of itinerary. If it were a carribean cruise it wouldn't matter nearly as much unless it was an island I had never been to before and was looking forward to going there. I've been on the eastern carribean once already and the western carribean twice, so if I were to miss a port in one of those itineraries it probably wouldn't bother me one bit. I've only been on three cruises so far, so at this point the ship matters more to me than the ports.
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I don't care where I go - just take me on a cruise!!

donna

Old March 17th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

No Donna, you take *me* 'cause you're going first!

Thanks for all your replies, folks. You all made me start thinking about those Mediterrean cruises, though....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Doesn't matter ... I like sea days best. Did happen to me on one of the Norway's last cruises (it sure was going down hill fast at the time) when they were practically becalmed because of engine problems so they had to skip St. Maarten (no big deal to me - had been there before and to most Caribbean islands). But, got a bonus in that they ported at St. John and I had never been there (just never took the ferry over from St. Thomas) ... got to see it and collect another magnet!!!

Go with the flow!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:30 PM
borntocruisejp

I don't care where the boat is going just let me get on the boat.
We entirely missed a cruise in Sept. due to Ivan & airports shutting down. We were sorely dissappointed, took off for New Orleans & had a great time.
Making up for it in 2005. Conquest in January & I sail again in 30 days. Mariner of the seas. Don't care if we port or not, only that I am on that ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jp
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Admiral

I cruise for the ship. If it was the ports, I'd fly.

The Med, however, is a tough call. I liked the sea and the ports when I traveled there, primarily on trains and planes with a total of 4 overnights on ships, "ferries." There's a lot to be said for visiting the shores that inspired the likes of Homer, Virgil, Picaso, etc.
And a ship cannot provide the view that sitting at an outdoor taverna along the Sacred Way after nightfall provides, gazing toward Pyraeus, just memorizing the moment.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

No. Have done several cruises that inc. Gr. Cayman which is ALWAYS an iffy port. Been VERY luckey. Generally did make it, but do understand times, tides and other problems. Just wish cruise lines would really "rebate" actual costs to pax for missing a port. Know Gr. Cay is expensive. Had a misssed port on 11/02 NCL cruise and the only pax "rebate" was a bunch of watered down punch based drinks for 1 hour just b4 lunch. I would have preferred buying my own if that was my choice and getting a cabin credit for the missed port charges. I figgure I would have been about $40 pp ahead compared to what we did drink (1 each).