Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2005, 05:39 AM
salem5050

Default Steroids...should the players be in the Hall of Fame

What do you think about the hearings on Baseball steroid use?

I say take them out the the Hall of Fame.

And shame on you especially Mark McGwire!!!!!

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Steroids...should the players be in the Hall of Fame

They should boot them all and take away any special awards (MVP, Cy Young, etc.) that they won over their careers. After all the crap they gave Pete Rose, these guys should receive the same treatment.

Cheryl C.
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Admiral

And take back all Olympic medals, remove football/basketball/hockey players from their respective halls of fame etc. etc. etc.

By the way: Wasn't being a "jock" kind of viewed as being the lowest common denominator on the evolutionary scale? Weren't their indiscretions always excused and the source considered? Why do we expect these guys to suddenly bloom an IQ simply because they get an obscene paycheck?

We must be politically correct at all times I guess. Maybe we can have one gargantuan "do over" for a whole bunch of new sports heroes. Cool. Just don't raise my taxes while you do it. Maybe the candidates can all play on something like "Sports Survivor"?

Post Edited (03-18-05 11:07)
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Its a sad day for sure that our children and grand children will grow up in this type of world. But not much we can do now. As Cruise Cynic has said we'd have to change everything and there is no way possible for that to happen now.
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Steroids...should the players be in the Hall of Fame

Cheating is CHEATING. Any athlete confirmed as a steroid user should be stripped of ALL awards, records, performance bonuses and Hall of Fame membership and/or consideration for membership.
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Cynic's observation of "obscene paycheque" is the reason why I have no time for any sports. These guys, alot of them "cheats" using steroids, make an obscene amount of money for doing very little, and then playing dumb. Or maybe they are dumb.
We need to stop this insanity, and pay healthy salaries to those who work their butts off and care about their jobs - nurses, teachers, care-workers, and many more.

donna

Old March 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Considering the Hall of Fame inductions the players will be voted on against their peers. So in essence the candidates will be compared against other cheats. So it's cheats against cheats! Hmmmmm.......................

As far as their salaries go, I think they are entertainers and are being paid fair market value. Somebody is paying them that salary and to that somebody the athlete is worth it. Doesn't matter what we think. I don't hear the same outcry about Bruce Willis, or Robert DeNiro, or Susan Sarandon making $20 million per movie. What's the difference?

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Their is no difference. Actors OR sports figures....pay a teacher, a nurse a higher salary.....20 million a picture is highway robbery, as well, as hitting the ball out of the park.JMHO

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Should actresses who gets botox injected into them, gets face lift etc., have their Oscars and other trophies taken away? It's just another chemical to enhance their appearance. Should Joan Rivers not be allowed on TV?

I am totally against steroids and believe that the league should have a one strike your out policy like they do in the olympics. As far as I am aware, use of steroids is not a criminal offence. If it's a criminal offence, than they should be prosecuted.

Let's not forget that professional ahtletes are nothing more than entertainers, they are assets to their teams. Do owners want to fire, which is the same as giving away, their valuable assets? I think not.

The commissioner and team owners are the most responsible for this. As Harry Truman once said; ``The buck stops here``.

Put the blame where the blame lies.

Bill
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Steroids...should the players be in the Hall of Fame

All the negativity aside, steroids are RAMPANT in pro sports, even semi-pro sports. McGuire might make headlines for using 'roids, but most players will tell you that if they didn't use, they simply wouldn't make the team because everyone else is using, and if they do make the team, the pressure is on them by the rest of those 'roider wannabes who are eager to take their place. Equal pressure to recover in record time from injury (I understand steroids have a huge benefit in this area).

Mark McGuire is not alone in his decision. He has thousands who are complicit with him.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Admiral

The problem (if you can call it that) is teachers, nurses, policemen, etc. don't earn their employers the same kind of money an athlete or actor earns their employers. Labor, like any other commodity, follows the laws of supply and demand too. If there were only 720 nurses in the world (as MLB players) their salaries would be much higher.

That's why the AMA limits the number of certifications each year. Keep the number of practicing doctors down and you keep their businesses at capacity and prices up.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Admiral

I think that the United States Congress is supposed to be concerned with those things that the Constitution spells out it is supposed to be involved with and things like Baseball have no business being 'investigated' but them. That is something that just is not any of their concern.
Jim

Old March 18th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Passenger

I think they are guiltier than Pete Rose was and look what he got. Take their awards away and deny them the Hall of Fame.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Remember the deal Pete Rose made! He made a deal with the commissioner that the investigation into his gambling would stop in return for his acceptance to a lifetime ban from baseball. It's the deal he asked for and accepted.

Now he wants to break that deal since the commish is dead.

Regards,
Thomas (who has no sympathy for people who break contracted deals)
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Streoids are drugs that you need a script for and Jose was helping his fellow brothers out by injecting them and telling them where they could score their own supply....Of course they could easily get them from the sports doctors.I use to like him as a ball player,but I read his book,and hes a very sad man.He comes across as being a very cocky sure of himself man,but he seems to have a very low self esteem to me.I think they should take away all of their records.Too many of our young kids think this is the way to go.So,the 1 stike your out works for me.Dot
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
ksm1074

Simple answer IMO. Players who have used steriods to "enhance" their game have absolutely NO PLACE in the Hall of Fame.

It is an absolute insult to those who have made it to the Hall of Fame because they had talent, practiced, and disciplined themselves in order to play a game well...
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM
Yeoman

I agree with the comment that athletes are indeed entertainers. They are pressured to perform and the league has fostered steriod use by ignoring it for years and years. I do not think it is fair to deny a player honors because he used steroids. It would be impossible to determine who has and who has not used. It would be like denying jobs or promotions to anyone that ever smoked pot, or drank and drove, or jaywalked for that matter.
Mark McGuire did what he was paid to do, filled every seat in the stadium.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Let's not forget Mark McGuire took Andro which was legal at the time. He kept it in his locker and didn't try to hide it because it wasn't a banned substance. Would it be fair to him to take away his records because he took a supplement which was perfectly o.k. to take?

If so, then what happens in 20 years when it's discovered that today's athletes are taking a supplement bought at the health food store which is later declared illegal? By the same token, what about the athletes of years ago who took amphetamines and other stimulants which were o.k. at the time but later declared illegal?

Regards,
Thomas