Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
David Starkey

Default Best cruise ship officers ?

I would be interested what nationality of ships officers do "you" as a cruiser enjoy the most.
I must say that over 30 years of cruising I have sailed a number of voyages on Greek, Italian, British and Norwegian staffed officers on various ships.

I have the most seafaring confidence in the Norwegian officers and have found them to be very concerned about ships saftey and also friendly to passengers. I remember the Captian on the Norway talking with pride about the great liner he commanded. He had real passion for that great ship.

I also remeber several Italian Captians that shared my passion for ships and quality Italian food. (they were on Sitmar, Home Lines and Costa(old days).

Does anyone else have found memories of a Master of the Vessel.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best cruise ship officers ?

It seems to me that among the ships Officers particularly the Capt. the nicest and most intriguing have been on RCI who has Norwiegian Captains. Captain Ole Gronhaug who was the Master of the Explorer was particularly entertaining and friendly and we very much enjoyed his company one evening.
Jim

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:32 AM
susancruzs

Hey, Jim, I have great memories of Captain Ole-Johann Gronhaug, he was so fun!

He was captain of the Song of Norway, small ship and we got to see him alot. It was positioning to Alaska from LA, ship wasn't full, first cruise of the season! He told us early on we could butcher his name but never call him "OJ"!

I've never met a captain with so much personality, always taking the time to stop and talk to people, very visible. He was always teasing a group of us that were always last onboard at each town, they could see us coming and we'd still have a half hour but they'd blow the whistle anyway! It was a running joke and he'd say at the bars with our crew having another Rainier Beer???

I haven't been back to Alaska because that cruise was so special, only ship there, we got 6 ports instead of 4, towns were glad to see the 1st ship, no crowds in town, wonderful. First train ride of the season, tons of snow at the top, yet we were in light weight jackets, weather was sunny and in the high 50s, low 60s all week.

Ahhh, cruise memories!
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I like both the Norwegians and the Italians. But since we've had more cruises on Carnival than any other line, I must lean towards the Italian skippers. I've met several of them socially, both on and off their ships, and have always found the Italians to be perfect gentlemen and skilled mariners. Well,
I suppose one could assume that all ship's masters fit that description.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

I have found generally that all ships officers I have encountered appeared to be skilled
at their jobs in both the sailing and people skills demanded by today's cruise lines, regardless of nationality.