Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Schiavo case...what do you think?

You can take your animal to the doc, they give it a shot, they are gone. People have to sometimes suffer an fight for that last breath. I wish my mother an my young brother could of had one of those shots as to watch them fight for the last breath (cancers) I think the Doctor (Kevork, sorry spelling?) was great helping these people go comfortably MHO
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
pcboston

I was in the same situation as Jim and his family 8 years ago, only it was my mother I had to let go. That generation mostly didn't do the legal thing with living wills, but I was fortunate that we had had a serious talk many years before when she was still healthy and vital. She told me that under no circumstances did she want to be kept alive to suffer when her time came, and if I did that, she would come back and haunt me. At that time I didn't want to hear anything, we all want our loved ones to be there always. Having that clarified was the most loving thing she could have done, because it made it easier to do the right thing. She knew because I am an only child, there would be no one to help decide, and so she made her wishes perfectly clear, and I will always be grateful to her. I found a hand-written note in with her papers that stated the same. After many strokes, there was no quality of life left, she could not swallow either, and the spirit of her had long ago joined the large family that had gone on before. When the doctor wanted to put in a feeding tube, I was able, in good conscience, to say no. He proceeded to say "Well, you know she will starve without it", such a hurtful thing to say, but I thank God for my mother's compassion and strength of long ago. She was comatose at this time, and went peacefully with my daughter and I at her side. This experience has taught me well, I have my heath care proxy and living will in place and have had the talk with the child that will have to deal with those issues for me. Such a painful thing for all, I side with the husband on this one, her parents need to face reality and let her go. Not a government decision. Poor girl, let her rest in peace.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
pg

Terris husband won't divorce her because then he loses control of the money . Yes there is some left folks, some estimates it at 250,000, to 300,000, not much considering the original amount , but enough to still get greedy about.

Why did Terris husband fight to get money to support her, they soon as granted a sum he starts a " she wanted to die " thing, doesn't anyone but me see that as a bit odd?

Duh.

I feel sorrow for the parents. Terris creepy "husband" actually had them banned from seeing( visiting) her at one point, how nice. Cretin.

I pray for Gods mercy and interception in this case, and remember, her life does have meaning, even if only to be the pivotal character in this whole tragedy.. She has made the issue of right to die front page news.

Ultimatley I don't know what should happen to Terri, I just don't know if I trust Terris husband to decide. It is not the same as some of the couples on this board who have been married for years, remember Terri was very young when she was hurt, who knows what the quaility and trust level in that marriage was.

Also if Terri is a " vegtable" then is she even " suffering" I mean , if she is not in pain, then how is she suffering?
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

PG, MIchael was offered once ten million dollars to release control of her. About two weeks ago he was again offered one million to release control of her. He turned down both these 'offers' which certainly indicates he has no interest in the money, just to finally allow the body to join Terry in death. There is not money left even though the Schendliers think there is and THAT is one of the things that they want control of and when the original settlement was made the falling out between them was because he would not share it with them but placed it into a trust for Terry's medical needs. Since then he has even spent an estamated $300,000 on he treatment and care. Yes he moved on some yeears ago as he knew all hope of her recovery had been exhausted and like people whose spouse had passed on he developed another life but remain married to care for her and fulfill her wish to allow her to pass. She has passed and now only the physical body is left and that needs to pass. This is just my opinion and I know many do not agree and I respect that as I am one who is very conservative but I have been around death enough to know when it is no longer possible to be alive. I feel sad for everyone involved and wish them the best. I do not think the government should control us to the extent they are going to if those laws had passed.
Jim