Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Default weird documentation question

Looking for help with a very odd documentation question. My husband and I are about to go on our first cruise. We recently got his birth certificate for documentation purposes and found, to our surprise, that his last name is spelled differently on his birth certificate than he has spelled it everywhere else, including picture id. I'm wondering if this is going to cause us problems. Anyone had this happen? Or know what to do about it? Time is short - we cruise on April 2nd!
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: weird documentation question

You need to contact the cruise line and get awriiten response so that whatever you do you have some "ammunition" at the pier to not be left behind.
Heck of a thing to find out 8 days or so before a cruise.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:01 PM
Don Smith

My advise would be to run to your Department of Motor Vehicles and get his driving license corrected to reflect the correct name on the birth certificate. That is the only hope I see for such short notice. That way he has 2 forms of ID that are correct. I do not think the cruise lines are in control of your being able to sail...I think it is government...like US Customs
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:17 PM
SarahJ

Is his birth certificate wrong?
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Sarah, the Birth Certificate is NEVER wrong. Does not matter if that is not what was intended or not what you have done all your life, the BC is always right. <G> If it is only one letter off in spelling usually no big deal but if something that looks and sounds differant then run down to the Drivers License place and get a updated DL that reflects this information exactly. When you return from the cruise contact the place of your birth and see what you have to do to change it and if too much of a hassle or something not worth doing then get a Passport issued in your name and remember to use that name on all official documents such as travel etc. You can always on documents other than travel or citizenship use the part that says 'also known as'.
Jim

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:49 PM
SarahJ

My mother's name is wrong on my birth certificate. So if her birth certificate conflicts with my birth certificate with her name on it as my mom, what is my mom's name? Is she really my mom or an imposter? Now, I wonder if I really was adopted?
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Her name can be wrong but your name cannot. <G> One of the glitches of the system I guess. My wife on her BC under race is listed as a black female. I can assure she is white as are her mother and father. In order to have that changed she was told that she had to go to court. It just isn't worth it. It has a "C" under race and in South Carolina in 1951 that stood for colored and not caucasian. They used "C" and "W" during that time period. The same would apply to the name. Whatever is on your birth certificate is your legal name at birth. Tradition allows the female to change or adopt her husbands last name without seeking a court ordered name change as the Marriage certificate takes care of that. Any other name change takes a court ordered change of name even if the intended name was mis-spelled on it. I have seen this happen a few times and usually it is no big deal and people don't pay it much attention but in light of present conditions of national security they seem to have become very picky over it.
Jim

Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann

Hi everyone I also wonder if i will have a prolem with my birth certificate. The spelling of my last name on BC is different than what i went by all my life. The BC spelling I understand is the Slovak spelling of the last name. My siblings all had the American spelling on their BC I dont know why. I was married and got divorced and still have the married name . Do you think i will have a problem about this I am not sailing til Sept. Do i need to get this fixed before i cruise or will they require any further documentation. I dont see what diffference it makes since i go by my married name any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated
Maryann
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Admiral

It can definitely be a problem, Maryann. If you aren't sailing until September, then I highly recommend you get a passport and clear it up for good.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dorothy, thank you so much for responding I will definitely look into this i dont want to be sunk and not sailing Just one more question if i get a passport will that be in place of the BC and suffice for identification ? thanks again
Maryann
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Maryann - a passport is the most acceptable form of identification world-wide. It replaces everything, its good for 10 years. You will need your birth certificate to get your passport. The spelling on your birth certificate is the correct, legal spelling of your name,regardless of what your sibs certificates say, unless you your parents or your siblings have gone to court to officially change it.
Your birth certificate will always be in your paren'ts last name, no matter your marital status. I would get this cleared up before your cruise, you have lots of time.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks Lisa, I know i can look this up, but exactly where do you go to obtain a passport and around how much does it cost. it is easier getting this info from cruisemates than hunting it down other ways . thanks again maryann