Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Default The best moment....

When you spot a woman hanging over the railing as they pull up the ropes in home port, say "hi" -- it's me relishing in my favorite moment of the cruise. When the ship's horn announces "chio everyone I'm outta here" I feel joy. And watching land fade as we head out to sea is pure bliss. What's your best moment.

By the way I learned the hard way you don't stand on the forward deck, next to the horn, when leaving port. There is nothing as loud on earth.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
cruisermatt

Default Re: The best moment....

The best moment for us is going from the land bridge onto the ship, and the entering adn exploring the ship for the first time. The we go listen to the badn play, and the vacation is off to a fresh beginning. There's no better way to vacation than cruising!
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Anne: The most memorable for me was my very first cruise...when the taxi cab arrived at the pier and Galaxy appeared in front of me. What a beautiful sight....and I've been hooked ever since. On the same cruise we had a full moon on a very clear night....that was awesome too. But, that isn't exactly what you asked is it? . I guess the best moment for me is sail away on embarkation day! That is so exciting.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Yeoman

I like it when the band starts playing by the pool on a sunny day out at sea.

Woooo Whoooo The fun may now begin!!!

Holiday May 2000
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

That's ours too! Sailaway and that horn blowing is our favorite part. It is that feeling of getting away from it all as you watch the land disappear.

Pure Bliss!

Old March 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Seeing all the ships in ports, knowing I'm boarding one, still gives me "moose bumps".

And.. just throwing the carry-ons down in the cabin. It's like unloading any stress weighing on my shoulders... knowing the vacation has begun.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Cruisingrandma

Almost to the docks and we see the huge ship standing there just waiting for us to board. That is the first exciting part. Then pulling away from the docks and out to sea. Sheer Bliss!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Captain

The first dance of the Past guest party

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
venice

after the first full day on the cruise, having a drink on deck watching your first sunset of the cruise with someone you love
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Ahh, my favorite moment so far was when we were leaving on the Star Princess. I was standing on our balcony at sailaway when the ship began to play Andrea Bocelli as we sailed out of the harbor. I must admit I had tears in my eyes for the sheer beauty of the moment and the overwhelming feeling of how lucky we were to embarking on such a trip.

Still makes me smile.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Admiral

I like all the noises that precede the sail way. But you have to be in the right places to hear them on large ships. It might take several cruises to hear them all.

If you're on an outside deck, you can hear an increase in funnel clatter as the engines at rest are brought back on line, and you can see the exhaust blacken with unburned fuel until cylinder temperature is right. Soon after that, you hear the boarding doors banging shut or the noise of the gangway being withdrawn. You can hear the squeaks and scrapes of the winches bringing in the lines. Then you hear the horn. If you're directly above the thrusters, you can feel them through your feet or chair as they come to life to dance her away from the pier.

Ten more days, and I'll be there again!

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
linda g.

My favorite moment on a cruise is when the ship docks at a port that I have never been to before; there is the excitement of seeing new things, trying the local fare in the restaurants, and last, but of course not least, shopping!
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
susancruzs

I'm with you Anne, I just love that ship horn, knowing I'm on my way! I learned the hard way on the ssNorway not to stand too close!

It's just the best but I really get emotional sailing from New York, Southampton, even Los Angeles, ahhh, those longer cruises!

Susie
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:45 PM
libbynan

Steve, you and my DH...... every time we pull out of any port he is out there listening to all the sounds and watching all the technical goings- on...... he loves watching the tenders being hoisted back on board..... really he just loves watching any of the crew going about their business. I suppose because it's all so different from our everyday life. I suppose that's what I Iike,too, in a different way. The moment for me is when the steward introduces himself or herself and I realize that for the next "however long" someone else is going to be doing all the things that are normally "my" job. Sheer bliss!
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM
BoosterMom

I think when you drive up to the cruise terminal and see that big ship sitting there. In Tampa as you drive down Channelside Drive you can see it before you get to either the terminal or parking deck. Depending on what ship/ships are there, they are huge......what a thrill knowing you will be on it soon, seeing the new sites, meeting the new people, drinking new drinks...............
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Admiral

It's a cross between the first glimpse of the ship, and sailaway.

I am sooo excited about my upcoming Tampa sailaway. I've heard wonderful things about sailing under the bridge....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sailaway is great....but one of the best moments for me on the ship is the first night when you go to bed and you feel the bed rock gently back and forth.................that's when it really hits me that I'm on a ship and it just puts me to sleep..............nothing like that gentle rocking!

Old March 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife and I have a cruise ritual. We pop the cork on a bottle of champagne and a bottle of Asti. Once this happens we know it's real.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I'm with you all is spirit too!!
What a great feeling as the ship begins to move away from the pier, we are in our cabin, having the first sip of wine or champagne. Watching as small private boats race past our balcony and wave us good-bye. WOW it gives me goose bumps right now.
I can hardly wait for the next one in 60 days. Alaska !
Carole
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Watching the ship enter the port very early on the day of embarkation. I always try to get a room with a view. I love watching the ships arriving. It is usually dark and they sail into the harbor with deck lights flashing a hello to Miami. That is my first favorite. When I am aboard and watching us pull away from the pier is my second favorite time.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Admiral

That view down Channelside on embarkation day is probably one of the most photographed scenes among cruising enthusiasts. It is spectacular and exciting.
You make the turn from a side street and, suddenly, there's the ship at the end of the street, dwarfing the buildings--YOUR ship! I don't see how boarding a ship docked parallel to the drive can be half as exciting.

Dorothy, I have resolved that I must sail from Tampa one more time because I've never been on deck when we went under the bridge. Apparently, the funnel at first looks like it won't clear. On Inspiration, some of our group members were up on Verandha as the ship neared the bridge. The most experienced cruiser in the group jokingly told the least experienced to "Look out--It's going to bump!" He still teases the other pax about their reactions. But there's supposed to be quite a funnel echo for a few seconds. If there is, I wanna hear it!

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Steve,

My son is sooo excited about sailing under the bridge. He heard it misses by a mere 6 feet!

Maybe we'll yell "DUCK!" when we go under.

Another great favorite moment is the first walk into the dining room on that first night!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

The best moment for me is seeing that beautiful ship looming before you! Nothing like that feeling! Also the anticipation of boarding. 2 more weeks until we set sail on The Westerdam, cannot wait, soooooo excited!
Marg
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
First Mate

The first time I see the ship just waiting for me to come aboard. Then going to our blacony's (we travel as a group) and popping the cork of champagane 3 cheers for the sailaway party. My 2nd best moment is the first sunrise at sea nothing can compare to that beauty out on your deck with a fresh cup of coffee and my camera.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Admiral

The best moment? It was a moonlit night, completely alone on the pool deck, in the hot tub, a margarita in hand with my new husband. That was 3 years ago, and we're hoping to do it again soon!

donna

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Jean S

Default Re: Re: The best moment....

I think I had my favorite moment on a cruise ship in February on the Star Princess. I got up very early and went out on our balcony. It was foggy and the ship was making its way through the British Virgin Island towards Tortola. The tiny islands were shrouded in a misty fog. As the ship slowly made its way to Tortola the fog gradually lifted as the sun came out and slowly unveiled the island. Ahhhh I think of this moment when I have had a difficult day in work.