CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   I'm going to Prison (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/272326-im-going-prison.html)

Caribbeancats March 28th, 2005 07:51 PM

I'm going to Prison

Well, sort of.....

After great consideration & nudging from DW I am taking a job at the state prison hospital in our town. I will be in charge of the post- op unit. This is a Mon- Fri job, no call, no holidays & 2x the salary + I keep my state retirement benefits (I'm shooting to retire in 10yrs). So just say a little prayer for me in this totally new environment; I've never worked in a place with bars on the doors or razor wire in the front entrance.

susancruzs March 28th, 2005 08:13 PM

Re: I'm going to Prison

Sounds like a good move and the Mon.-Fri. no call sounds great, too! Good for you and I'll be thinking of you, you'll get used to the bars and wire after awhile I bet!

Susie

Brenda in Canada March 28th, 2005 08:48 PM

Yikes!-I was worried when I read your post title!! Sounds like a good job;stay safe!

Jeanne&Ellis March 28th, 2005 09:19 PM

wishing you all the best on the new job. Stay safe.

rollerdonna March 28th, 2005 10:28 PM

Best of luck Jim. Perks sound good, but I don't know about the bars and the razor wire!

donna

steph_texas March 28th, 2005 10:51 PM

Congrats on moving up - Keep your eyes open & STAY SAFE !!

Steph

VTJen March 29th, 2005 05:48 AM

Sounds like a good opportunity to save extra $ for all the post retirement cruises you'll want to take.

I live about 3 miles down the road from a big prison - many of my neighbors/friends work there. For some people it takes a little adjustment

VTJen

fasteddie March 29th, 2005 06:00 AM

Look at all of the cruises that you'll be taking with the extra $$$$$. But seriously, I'm sure it was a tough decision, but if the advantages highly outweigh the disadvantages, it will be the right move. Just be careful.

Ed

dantam March 29th, 2005 06:54 AM

first time for everything, just sit on your butt and keep your mouth shut

Dorothy March 29th, 2005 09:01 AM

No call sounds wonderful in your line of work. Be careful and enjoy that new salary!

dorothy

Set4cruz March 29th, 2005 09:10 AM

No bending over <wink wink> Congratulations!

maryann March 29th, 2005 10:56 AM

Hi Leslie, I worked at a state mental health facility for criminally insane for a year and it is another animal. That said i know you will do fine, just be very safety and security conscious. I work in a juvenile correctional facility right now and you would be surprised at the little things that can get you into trouble, so be super cautious as the rules are a little different for correctional facility. They are usually diametrically opposite from the health field. We are concerned about medical needs and they are concerned about safety and security and a lot of times these clash. At least that has been my experience Good luck and i would kill for those hours[ had them once and loved them but then got laid off[ Maryann

MichelleP March 29th, 2005 04:48 PM

Wishing you the best in your new job! I wish we could see the number of views on threads, I'll bet this one has a thousand from curious Cruisemates!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Big Craig March 29th, 2005 11:01 PM

Safest neighborhoods are near prisons, if you broke out would you stay nearby?
Not me

Lombard March 29th, 2005 11:11 PM

And if you were a villan (criminal) that hadn't been caught, you would go near one. LOL