Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Salvatore

Default Golden Princess

Just booked the repositioning cruise from San Juan to NYC on May 1st. Got an unbelievable price including air fare. We got the mini suite (that's all they had left). Heard that's better than the balconies because the deck above you can look down on you. What's this I hear about the coffee being soooooooooooo bad?

Also, didnt' book the traditional early or late seating. We got the alternative diining. What's the take on this?
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Golden Princess

CONGRATULATIONS ! From what I can remember from my sailing on her, the coffee is from a concentrate. Since I am a tea drinker, it made no difference, but I do remember some complaints.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM
G Mitchell

Cruised on the ship in January, The coffe in the buffet is bad but the internet cafe has good coffee. in room order for early morning coffee was fair.
We enjoyed our trip very much and would go again. There is plenty to do always and the pools are never to crowded to get a chair. Enjoy !
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
AR

Coffee is pretty much the same as on all ships--from liquid concentrate I think. But it is true that the coffee in the internet cafe is legit--although for a price. We liked personal choice dining on the Diamond a couple months ago. I discussed it in some detail in my review which is posted in the reviews section of this site. But note that I believe the Golden doesn't have quite as many different restaurants as Diamond. Still, the idea is the same.
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
pg

We liked Personal Choice dining, we were on the Golden last April and loved this new way of dining. We usaully got to the dining room before 7 so rarely had to wait more then a minute or two. We chose to sit at large shared tables and the only time we did have to wait ten minutes was when we requested a table for two.( it was formal night, and I was feeling a bit seasick so didn't want to inflict myself on anyone)
I reccomend giving this new way of dining a chance, we enjoyed meeting different people each evening, and it was kind of fun having that many more people to say " hi" to on the ship( you meet more people this way) and we even saw a couple we met from dinner one night at a beach, it was nice to have someone to say "hi" to from the ship.
I also recommend an open mind, we are a couple in our early forties. and one night the maitre'd took us to a large table where everyone was at LEAST 75! silently my hubby and I gave each other the " oh no" look. Well, turned out to be a wonderful evening spent with 4 different couples from all over the world, one was from England, one from Scotland, and two from Louisiana, what a mix. All well travelled and interesting folks. We had a lovely dinner. And we were the " laughing table" you know ,the one in the dining room having all the fun!

So go and have fun! The Golden is a great ship.
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Admiral

the Golden is a great ship! We had a mini-suite on the Dolphin Deck and loved it. The extra bathroom space(w/tub) more closet and floor space is great.
Anytime Dining means exactly what it says - you have two Anytime Dining restaurants to choose from on the Golden. They you have the alternative dining restaurants that charge you a fee to dine.